Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've got a tournament in early August, I want to take a Big Mek army, but I'm worried about it being to slow, so I need suggestions on what to add.

This is what I've got so far:

Big Mek with Kustom Force-Field, Cybork Body & Eavy Armour – 100 points.
20 Ard Boyz, 2 Rokkit Launchas, Nob with Powerklaw – 255 points.
20 Shoota Boyz, 2 Big Shootas, Nob with Powerklaw – 165 points.
19 Grots, Runtherds – 67 points.
5 Kommandoes, Big Shoota, Burna, Nob with Powerklaw, Boss Snikrot – 190 points.
Deff Dredd with 4 combat arms – 105 points.
3 Killa Kans with Rokkit Launchas – 150 points.
Army Total – 1’287 points.

I'm tempted by four deffkoptas, but can't help thinking I need some more boyz.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd just give him a KFF & either put him in a BW or with a squad of 30 Boyz. Alternatively give him a KFF & Skorcha and put him in a BW with 15 Burna Boys.

20 Ard Boyz, 2 Rokkit Launchas, Nob with Powerklaw – 255 points.
Ard boys are useless in my opinion. (Especially if footslogging.) For standard troops I'd rather take:

If Footslogging:
(On Foot) 29 Shoota Boys (w/3 Big Shootas) + Nob(w/PK & BP)

If Mechanized:
(In a BW) 19 Slugga Boys + Nob(w/PK & BP)
or
(In a Trukk) 11 Slugga Boys + Nob(w/PK & BP)

For 1500, in a Footslogging army you want a minimum of 90 boys, in a mechanized army you want a minimum of 60. Bosspoles are essential due to Orks' bad leadership.

20 Shoota Boyz, 2 Big Shootas, Nob with Powerklaw – 165 points.
Is this 20 Boys +1 Nob? Make it 29+1 Nob & give the Nob a bosspole.

19 Grots, Runtherd – 67 points.
Looks good. They just for holding objectives?

5 Kommandoes, Big Shoota, Burna, Nob with Powerklaw, Boss Snikrot – 190 points.
You can't have a Nob & Snikrot. It's one or the other. I'd go with Snikrot + 5 Kommandos (2 with burnas - Big Shootas are useless.) You can join a PK Warboss or Ghaghzkull to this unit so the lack of a nob w/PK isn't that big of a deal.

All look solid. I prefer Grot Zookas for the Kans. I'd also swap out one of the dreads for a BW w/defrolla. (And I'd put the Big Mek in it.)

In 1500, i'd go with Kommandos or Deff Koptas...but not both. (5 Kommandos +2 burnas + Snikrot is roughly the same points cost as 4 Deff Koptas.)

Add in a Biker Boss w/PK, Attack Squig, Cybork, and a Bike. If you can afford it after getting more boys. If you can't afford it, give him 'eavy armour instead of the bike and send him in with the kommandos.

This is all my opinion btw. Have only been back playing 40k (after a 5 year break) for a few weeks now. I'm still finding my feet so there may be some obvious things i've missed. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Snikrots ability dose not transfer to a warboss or any IC that joins the unit sorry but no infiltrateing Gaz. if this did work your god unit would be full unit of kammandoes snikrot gaz and grotsnik

·
Registered
73 Posts
Drop the eavy armour, it won't save you agains the mass frag heavy bolter fire you'll be facing. I would also drop the Rokkits on this unit too in favour of Big Shootas. You want that huge mob firing at the same unit you're wanting to charge, not wasting two str 8 shots on guardsmen, or sending a massive mob into the side of a Leman.

I would also drop one dread but for another Boyz mob IMHO. Much, much better as 90 Boyz would give anyone a hard time.

With your left over points I would sugest a modest Deff Kopta squadron, if kept in reserve their scout ability can be monstrous as it allows them to outflank their opponent and sow havock in their back lines.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay based on your suggestions this is what I'm thinking of going for:

20 Ard Boyz, 2 Big Shootas, Nob with Powerklaw – 245 points.
20 Shoota Boyz, 2 Rokkit Launchas, Nob with Powerklaw – 175 points.
20 Slugga Boyz, 2 Big Shootas, Nob with Powerklaw - 165 points.
20 Shoota Boyz, 2 Rokkit Launchas, Nob with Powerklaw - 175 points.
8 Lootas - 120 points.
Army Total – 1’490 points.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Snikrots ability dose not transfer to a warboss or any IC that joins the unit sorry but no infiltrateing Gaz. if this did work your god unit would be full unit of kammandoes snikrot gaz and grotsnik
I'm afraid you are wrong there tim, in the INAT4.0 FAQ (used for most professional tournaments worldwide), on page 80, any IC that joins Snikrot benefits from his infiltration rule. And yes, you can sneak in your Warboss/Grotsnik/Ghazzie/any HQ with Snikrot!

See the snippet below :

You can find the full FAQ here.

Back to topic, 'ard boyz without transports are not worth it because there are too many AP4 weapons out there. I'd stick with regular boyz and free up more points for more killy stuff, like more Killa Kanz, lootas or a Warboss.

You don't really need an 'eavy armor on your Big Mek as you won't even want to run him into battle, he'll be dead before you know it. And as mentioned above, most races have AP4 weapons on most of of their shooty units. Hide him behind your Kanz/Dread/Boyz ALL THE TIME.

Slugga boyz on foot are probably going to Run every turn until they get near the enemy, so you can actually drop your big shootas/rokkits on them cause you can't shoot them while running. I'd stick with shoota boyz and dakka all the way while moving, cause running is not 100% reliable since you can't predict how many inches you get (1" or 6"?)

Deffdreads are not very competitive as the Killa Kan point wise, I'd rather stick with the smaller 3x Killa Kanz with grotzookaz. Deffdreads are too big, hard to hide, and easy to get shot at too...they are bigger than a regular beakie Dreadnought!

But if you already have your Deffdread painted nicely, by all means go ahead. They don't totally suck, but the Killa Kanz are more efficient for the point cost, thats all. :)

Finally (and the most important one!) you need your bosspoles. Opponents may just kill half of your boyz squad and you'll be running away due to crappy leadership. ORKS NEED BOSSPOLE LIKE WE NEED CHICKEN. 'Nuff sed. :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would suggest changing the rockets to Grotzookas. The Kanz CC weapons can handle tanks well enough and grotzookas are very good anti infantry weapons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts