Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, so here is my 1500pt space wolf list, just looking for advice from you all wise internet peoples. I've trial run this list a couple of times and won them all so it seems to work, of course there are some small bits of trouble that I'm hoping you lot can fix for me.

Oh and be nice.

Vindicator - 115pts

Vindicator - 115pts

3 Thunder wolf cav - 3 x storm shields, powerfist, meltabomb - 270pts

10 Grey hunters - 2 x meltagun - 160pts

Rhino - 35pts

5 Grey Hunters - meltagun - 80pts

Razorback - assult cannon - 75pts

5 Grey Hunters - meltagun - 80pts

Wolf Lord - thunder wolf, frost blade, wolftooth necklace - 180pts

5 Bloodclaws - flamer - 75pts

Predator - TL lasscannon, lasscannon side sponsons - 165pts

Total - 1500pts

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
5 blood claws are just going to get nuked and really they won't do much before that. Now for marines, vindis arn't bad but we get cheap ML teams so it would be best to use those with either TLLC razors or lasplas razors. If you go with that I would also drop the pred. I would give your lord a ss and MotWB. For your wolves I would only go with 4 TW and maybe only 1 ss so the loudout on them would be 1pf, 1sh, 1 bolter, 1 meltabomb of you want to put the ss on the pf, if not just drop the bolter. I would advice larger GH units but if you have the points I would say just add some pf combi WG to them and use lasplas razors.

·
4,491 Posts
No love for Long Fangs?

If i ran SW, i would dedicate 2 or even 3 of my HS slots to Long Fangs with 5 ML.

15 ML shots a turn at 6 different targets, ability for anti-tank/MC or anti-infantry, all for only 420 points.

Personally, i would say you need more Grey Hunters. They are a bargain, and are the backbone of an effective SW list.
If you want to run them with Razorbacks, i would go with 4-5 squads with either 2Las or Las/Plas turrets on the Razors.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ok 5 blood claws with no wolf guard leader and a flamer? they can't shoot if they are within 6 inches and you gave them a flamer? no. bad boy 'smacks with paper'

wolf lord is good, if you like him and he worked well keep him, if not go for the cheap auto cannon and psy protection that is the rune priest.

as for troops you need to go 10 man grey hunters for the second special weapon or a variant and a wolf guard to boost LD and give him a combi something. and usually a fist.

also if you really like the smaller groups add mark of the wulfen. D6+1 attacks and rending. possible 8 rending attacks on the charge and at worst you have your normal 3 and they still rend on 6's. adds a punch to the small units. plus, if you want them to be more survivable add a standard. re rolling 1's is great even if you can only do it for one turn in a game. its really nice with 3+ saves because if you dont roll a 2 you pass or re roll it.

assault cannons are nice but lass plass are better. longer range and stronger guns with 1 less shot and lower AP. lass plas for the win.

i find that double vindi isnt very competitive. for those points you could have 2 groups of long fangs with 4 missiles. much more usefull.

·
Registered
8 Posts
they can shoot since they all have pistols or assault weapons.
i doo think they are a wast without a leader though.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
No they can't shoot, they have the headstrong special rule. Read your codex.

·
Registered
155 Posts
thanks ahab for spelling it out for them.
plus with pistols your BS3 anyway. but no you cant shoot blood claws if your within 6" of an enemy unit and then you must assault if possible and they don't have some form of a leader. wolf guard are practically mandatory for blood claws. and blood claws are really not worth it. they arent as good as grey hunters. if they where cheaper then yes i would see it but no they cost the same so they should stay at home.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
thanks ahab for spelling it out for them.
plus with pistols your BS3 anyway. but no you cant shoot blood claws if your within 6" of an enemy unit and then you must assault if possible and they don't have some form of a leader. wolf guard are practically mandatory for blood claws. and blood claws are really not worth it. they arent as good as grey hunters. if they where cheaper then yes i would see it but no they cost the same so they should stay at home.
i agree with not using Blood Claws as a shooting unit, but not about their effectiveness.

throw in as many as you can with a Wolf Priest + a Wolf Guard with PF in a LRC?

eat your heart out Black Templars.

expensive unit, but c'mon, that many attacks with rerolls isn't too shabby.

sorry to get off topic. i'd rewrite and repost this list with the advice lists. i personally don't like that most of your packs are small. it's like you're trying to do Razorback spam, and you cannot do that effectively the BCs.

good hunting.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i agree with not using Blood Claws as a shooting unit, but not about their effectiveness.

throw in as many as you can with a Wolf Priest + a Wolf Guard with PF in a LRC?
it's a lot of bodies and a lot of attacks on the charge but you could do better. sure you cant have 15 of anything else but you could use wolf guard and they have 4 attacks on the charge and 3 after, BC's get 4 and then 2. not worth it IMO. sure i would have to take logan to make them scoring and i still could only get 10 max and they run 3 points more a model but still... LD9, more attacks base, better upgrades, higher stats, all around better but slightly more expensive.

i clearly see your point though, the first turn of an assault, 60 regular S4, 3 fist, and 4 S4 power weapon attacks, re rolling to hit most likely... that will wipe something out. that will wipe a lot of something out.

but in this instance they arent worth it. not one bit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ragnar + Wolf Priest +10 Wolf Guard in a redeemer....

Give the Wolf Guard a few super cheap weapon upgrades... that on the charge will pew pew.

Back to the topic though... As far as I can tell with razor spam its an all or nothing kind of deal. If you take too few they will get blown sky high first turn and leave you with foot slogging 5 man squad who will have very little effect on anything. If you take a board full of RB's, you should be able to overcome their AV11 just by weight of number, and since the turrets are so high its very easy to give them cover for each other.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i clearly see your point though, the first turn of an assault, 60 regular S4, 3 fist, and 4 S4 power weapon attacks, re rolling to hit most likely... that will wipe something out. that will wipe a lot of something out.

but in this instance they arent worth it. not one bit.
and that's the point of the Crusader Claws idea: 60 attacks coming even if it's from Gretchin looks intimidating on the board. i do something mildly close to that with 7-8 Genestealers and my opponents hate it.

imagine it in midst of the game:

"what's in the LRC?"

"15 Blood Claws and a Wolf Priest"

"15?! how many attacks is that?!"

"60, AND i get rerolls..."[picks up 60 dice]

things like that can unnerve an opponent; rea life psychology is pretty handy in 40K.

back on topic: yeah, you're 100% right on this one, 5 BC's with a flamer? what's the point really. make GH, at least they'll fight a bit better.

good hunting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts