Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new guy here. Currently building some Ork lists, first and foremost is a 1500pt list for a local League im going to try out. Here it goes:

HQ:
Warboss w/ Power Klaw, Twin-linked shoota, eavy armor and bosspole

Troops:
9 Nobz w/ Power Klaws and Eavy Armor
1 Painboy w/ waagh! banner
Trukk w/ rokkit launcha

19 Boyz w/ slugga & choppa
1 Boyz Nob w/ Power Klaw and Bosspole

19 Boyz w/ Slugga & choppa
1 Boyz Nob w/ Power Klaw and Bosspole

Heavy Support:
Battlewagon w/ Kannon, 4 Big Shootas and Deff Rolla

Battlewagon w/ Kannon, 4 big shootas and Deff Rolla

Fast Attack:
16 Stormboyz
1 Stormboyz Nob w/ Power Klaw and Bosspole

total points: 1499

The idea is stack the boyz in the battlewagons, the Warboss/nobz in a trukk behind the battlewagons, and the Stormboyz behind cover until I can maneuver them into position. Push forward with the BT taking out whatever I can and ramming whatever I can, then unleashing hell with the boys and whatnot. The Nobz and Boss are the follow up smash-punch for anything hardcore (Termies or what have you) The Stormboyz are there to harass whoever and whatever may be flanking me at that particular moment. I have an alternate list with more specialized troops, but from what I've seen in smaller point games (2000 and under) green tide seems to win out in the end.

So, there you have it. Thoughts, criticisms, jokes, high praise-everything accepted and welcomed. Thank you all for your time.

·
4,491 Posts
For a start, the Nobz are fail.
2-3 PK's would be more than enough.
If you want them to all have PK's, then Meganobz are far more efficient.
Also, put them in a Battlewagon without a Kannon. A Deffrolla and 2 Big Shootas is more than enough upgrades on a BW, RPJ if you want it.

I would advise redoing the Nobz, and then see where things are sitting points wise.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would advise redoing the Nobz, and then see where things are sitting points wise.
What should I put the extra points towards, in your opinion? I would complete the Stormboyz squad, and then maybe some Lootas or another squad of Boyz. What say you?

Edit: The Kannon is just a regular Kannon, not a killkannon. I figured that I would throw that in there for tank-busting purposes, but then again with BS2 I don't figure it will do much. Anything else?

·
4,491 Posts
Lootas.
Always run lots of Lootas.
Once you think you have enough of them, run some more.

And you need more Boyz.
Only 2 units of Boyz is no good for 1500 points.

EDIT: All you have is 3 vehicles and a unit of Stormboyz to deploy. Target priority is going to be easy for the opponent.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For Lootas, should I buy a Big Mek w/ KFF to prevent them from getting all shot up? Or just kind of play them behind cover and hope for the best? Also, aren't Lootas Snazzguns Heavy? That'd mean I'd have to wait a whole turn to fire after I moved. Wouldn't they get eaten up in that period?

As far as vehicles go, should I run a Deff Dread or perhaps a Looted Wagon w/ boomgun? I agree with needing another Troops choice, I'm thinking 'ard boyz w/ Big Shootas, or maybe even Kommandos with Boss Snikrot and some burnas.

See, this is why I need forums like this, otherwise I'd be thousands of dollars in debt to GW and still wouldn't know what worked lol.

·
4,491 Posts
Either sit Lootas in cover and keep them still (same as you would a sniper marine squad) and fire at light vehicles or high toughness MC's, or else stick them in a Battlewagon with 4 Big Shootas for extra protection.

If you are going to run 3 Battlewagons or at least 4-5 Trukks (or combinations of both) all advancing towards the enemy, then i would advise investing in a Big Mek with KFF. Leave him in the Battlewagon, never disembark him, and never buy him any other wargear besides the KFF.

·
4,491 Posts
Your style of play is actually looking quite similar to mine.

My last list i ran in a tournament consisted of...

Warboss w PK, EA, CB
Big Mek with KFF
15 Boyz with Nob, PK, BP
Mounted in Battlewagon with Deffrolla, EA, and 2 BS

15 Lootas in Battlewagon with 2 Big Shootas

5 squads of 12 Boyz with Nob, PK, BP in each, all mounted in Trukks

Comes to 1500 spot on, 7 vehicles, 6 Troops, and won me the tournament.

The thing that helped most was the Boyz, being able to be anywhere i wanted on the table within a turn or 2, and holding objectives.
Only thing was i had be sure to charge in at least 2 units at the one enemy squad, otherwise they will get slaughtered. 12 Boyz isnt enough. 20 on the other hand is just enough.
KFF is worth its weight in gold.

I dont advise you use my list exactly, but its just something ive found that works.

Regarding Ard Boyz, or upgrades in general in the Codex, always try to go with Boyz before Toyz.
There are exceptions to the rule such as vehicles and the mandatory PK/BP Nob, but generally the more Boyz you have the better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm just going to repeat what everyone else said and point out that if you decide you like nobz and to hell with everyone's ideas, at least make sure they've all got different wargear so you can spread the wounds.

Secondly, lootas have a range of 48, so even if you're not mounting them up, you can probably run them into cover on turn one (or just start them there) and cover most of the battlefield anyhow. Also, despite having an unhealthy relationship with their deffguns, Lootas are still boyz. Worst case, if someone gets around and tries to pull them into melee, you can always (and preferably when you've got a full squad so this isn't a complete suicide mission) charge them before they charge you. Charge denial is a good thing, though I'll admitted this is pretty situational, based on what's in front of you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I kind of fanagled the list a bit, given what everyone had suggested above. So here's the changed list:

HQ:
Warboss w/ PK, eavy armor, Twin-linked shoota, Bosspole

Big Mek w/ KFF

Elite:
11 Lootas

Troop:
9 Nobz- 3 w/ PK, 5 w/ Big Choppa, all have 'eavy armor
1 Painboy w/ waagh! banner
Trukk w/ rokkit launcha

20 boyz w/ shootas & 2 Big Shootas
1 boyz Nob with PK/Bosspole

11 Boyz w/ slugga and choppa
1 Boyz Nob w/ PK/Bosspole and Big Shoota
Trukk

11 Boyz w/ slugga and choppa
1 Boyz Nob w/ PK/Bosspole and Big Shoota
Trukk

Heavy Support:
Battlewagon w/ 4 Big Shootas and Deff Rolla

Battlewagon w/ 4 Big Shootas, Kannon and Deff Rolla (aka the DakkaWagon)

Lootas and Big Mek go in the DakkaWagon, the other 20 Shoota boys go in the other Battlewagon. The boys in trukks either run headlong into the fray or start zipping around for objectives, depending on the game. I use the Nobz against high-toughness foes and/or vehicles, and dakka the snot out of whatever else I can. I imagine the biggest pain in my ass would be Land Raiders, but the deffrolla should do fine against them. How's this list look?

·
4,491 Posts
Warboss needs Cybork Body.
Nobz need Cybork Body.

If you want to run normal Nobz, then try to give each of them different wargear to make the most of wound allocation.
Give one a PK, one a PK and BP, one a PK and Scorcha, one a Big Choppa, one a Big Choppa and Waaagh Banner, etc etc.
I also find that 10 is too many points sunk in the one unit. 7 or 8 works well.
Run the Nobz in a Battlewagon. Trukks are fragile, and you dont want your Nobz walking.

2 Big Shootas is plenty for a Battlewagon. Only run 4 if you are going to put Lootas inside.
You are better off putting your Big Mek in a Battlewagon thats advancing towards the enemy, as they will take the most fire. Try to advance with at least 3-4 vehicles in a group, with the KFF in the middle one. Perhaps the Battlewagon with Nobz inside, and 3 Trukks with Boyz.

Also, if your going for Lootas in a Battlewagon, then dont bother about giving it a Deffrolla. Just give it 4 Big Shootas. Nice and cheap at 110 points.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cybork body is almost a must for all competitive squads, as the power weapons and AP4 weapons are almost fielded by all races.

If you want to run trukks, run them in lots of them (at least 4 or more), else they'll get shot up in the first turn and your nobz on foot can't get near to the enemy on time.

Get more boyz too, not all games are annihilate. There are missions that you need to captures points and stuff.

Your battlewagons doesn't have enough protection too, don't think they are any better than IG Leman russes. The side and back armour of the Battlewagon is still pretty weak, and any fast units who have guns of S6 or more have a decent chance to pop you in the side/rear armour. You field a semi-mech army, and I do feel its nice to have a Big Mek w/ KFF to increase survivability.

Seems like you kitted out your battlewagon to be shooty and killy at the same time. If you want to go all out boom, it's better to save up points and go for big gunz battery of kannons, lobbas or zzap guns(your choice), or looted wagon w/ boom gun. Lobbas are preferable though, cause are barrage and can shoot while hiding behind terrain.

The rest is pretty much what KingofCheese said. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your help. Im at work currently but when I get home I'll mix up the list and see what I can do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
NOOOOOO! list looks great overall, but do NOT put a PK and a twin-linked shoota on your warboss! give him mega armor! not only does it come with both of those, but it also gives him a 2+ save. the klaw and shoota are 30 points, and mega-armor is 40. for 10 points you get a 2+ save. especially cuz you can get rid of the heavy armor for 5pts, so the mega armor is really only 5pts more! the only downside is he would be Slow and purposeful, but thats not much of a downside. Also he would gain Relentless, which is a bonus.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, third time's a charm, right? Hopefully my list won't need TOO much more editing after this one.

HQ
Warboss w/ PK, TL Shoota, bosspole and eavy armor

Big Mek w/ KFF

Troops:
Nobz w/ eavy armor, x5 Big Choppa, x3 PK
Painboy w/ Waagh! Banner

12 Boyz
Boyz Nob w/ PK, Big shoota and Bosspole.
Trukk

12 Boyz
Trukk

12 Boyz
Trukk

Elite:
15 Lootas

Heavy Support:
Battlewagon w/ Kannon, x4 Big Shoota, Deff Rolla, Red Paint Job

Battlewagon w/ x4 Big Shoota, Kannon

total points: 1496

I wanted to keep the Battlewagons with as much Dakka as humanly (Orkly?) possible, for the simple fact that with such a low BS, the more chances I have to hit, the better off I am. I did a quick calculation and with 4 Big shootas my chances of taking out MEQ per round jumps almost astronomically than if I used 2 big shootas.

Also, the Warboss is going to be attached to the Nobs, so giving him Mega-Armor is kind of pointless as I can see, since I'd be using the Nobz saves until they were all dead before I got to the Mega-Boss save. So they'll be in the Battlewagon with the Deff Rolla, and the Lootas and Mek will be in the Wagon without the Deff Rolla, staying in a tight-as-possible formation with the Trukks in order to get the effects of the Meks KFF. Once I get close enough where shooting doesn't particularly matter anymore, then they break off and accomplish whatever objectives they need to, depending on the game.

So, here it is. Break it apart as you see fit. Thank you all in advance!

·
4,491 Posts
Firstly, you forgot to add Cybork Body to your Warboss.
It is absolutely essential.
Likewise with your Nobz.

Your Nobz wargear is ok.
Personally i would arm them all with unique wargear to make the most of wound allocation, but its not an absolute must.
Fair amount of a point sink in 9 Nobz plus Warboss though. Id consider dropping a couple to try and fit in another TrukkaBoyz squad.

As for your Battlewagons, i would consider dropping the Kannon and 2 of the Big Shootas off the Battlewagon with the Deffrolla.
You want to be moving it 12" (13") every turn, which means that its not going to be shooting much.
The Big Shootas are just there so that the "weapon destroyed" results dont become "immobilized" instead.

Regarding your strategy with the Big Mek, DO NOT put him with the Lootas.
You are better off putting him in the Battlewagon with the Nobz and Warboss, and keeping the Trukks near the Battlewagon moving as fast as you can each turn.
The Lootas will be fine in the Battlewagon without the protection of the KFF. If you can get right in the opponents face with the rest of your army, then they wont shoot at the Lootas. They will be too distracted with everything else.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
*cracks knuckles*

Alrighty then, lets try THIS list...

HQ
Warboss w/ PK, Bosspole, 'Eavy Armor, Cybork Body, Twin-linked shoota

Big Mek with KFF

Elite:
11 Lootas

Troops:
5 Nobz, 3 w/ Big Choppa, 2 w/ PK, all with 'Eavy Armor and Cybork Body
1 Painboy w/ Waagh! banner

11 Boyz
Boyz Nob w/ PK, Big Shoota and Bosspole
Trukk

11 Boyz
Trukk

11 Boyz
Trukk

11 Boyz
Trukk

Heavy Support
Battlewagon w/ 2 Big shootas, Deff Rolla and RPJ

Battlewagon w/ 4 Big shootas and Kannon

Total: 1498

Hopefully the fourth time is a charm. Let me know what you all think.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AHHHHH-LELUIAH!

Will post pics when the army's complete.

Thanks to everyone who helped out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts