Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have recently decided to start playing again. So I have dusted off my IG army and studied the new codex. So here is my first swag at a 1500pt list. For my troops I plan on combining the 1st and 2nd squads and 3rd and 4th squads in both platoons.

HQ- CCS with 4 meltas, melta bombs - 95pts

Troop 1
PCS-4 meltas - 70pts
1st squad with flamer - 55pts
2nd squad with flamer - 55pts
3rd squad with grenade launcher - 55pts
4th squad with grenade launcher - 55pts
1 HW squad with Autocannons - 75pts
1 HW squad with mortars - 60pts

Troop 2
PCS-4 meltas - 70pts
1st squad with flamer - 55pts
2nd squad with flamer - 55pts
3rd squad with grenade launcher - 55pts
4th squad with grenade launcher - 55pts
1 HW squad with lascannons - 105pts
1 HW squad with mortars - 60pts

Fast vehicles
3 armored sentinels with lascannons - 210pts

Heavy Support
2 Griffons - 150pts

3 dedicated chimeras - 165pts (for the CCS and 2 PCS)

As the points increase (1850, 2000 etc) I plan to add LRBT's and maybe some elites (ratlings or stormtroopers with a valkrie transport). I haven't worked that out yet.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ok iwould defo swap some infantry stuff around for more efficiency. You use a few things i dont so i cant comment on whether they are effective or not. Also i dont know what models you have..

Love the HQ but no meltabombs - no point. Put them in a chimera.

I would change the 2 troop platoons to 2 platoons of 3 squads instead of 4 and put the 3 autocannons, 1 in each squad. Likewise with the lascannons. Heavy weapon teams tend to 'get it' too quickly as they are only 6 wounds. hide them in a squad of 30 and you will have them all game. Also what are 20 men gonna do with 2 flamers? If they get that close they are dead.
Not sure about GL's but i would still rather have HW's instead.
The 2 PCS's are wasted with meltas at bs3. Put the flamers here and this squad can protect the infantry squads if things get too close.
The extra 10 men you saved in each infantry squad now turn into vets and you can put 3 meltas in each squad in a chimera and now have a mobile tank melting platform.

Not sure about mortars but at least they can stay out of sight.

sorry i have no opinion on sentinals or grifoons - dont use them!!!

Defo need some LRBTS or Vendettas in my opinion for heavier armour/frepower but you can add that later if you dont have the models.

so..........

CCS - 4 Meltas/ Chimera - 145

PCS - 4 flamers - 50

30 men/3 Autocannons - 180

PCS - 4 Flamers(or GL's) - 50

30 men/3 Lascannons - 225

2 x HWS mortars - 120

1 vets 3 meltas chimera - 155
1 vets 3 meltas chimera - 155

3 sentinals Lascannons - 210

2 griffons - 150

total 1440

60 pts spare to play around with

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips.

Thank you for the advice, I liked all of your recommendations. 1 question, how do you model your vets to differentiate between them and regular guardsmen?

·
Registered
339 Posts
You can customise with certain heads etc. I went for the simple option of my normal troops in scab red uniform and my vets in grey. Then I gave them all the heavy weapon team backpacks to give them a out jn the field prepared for everything look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK, based on the recommendation above, here is my new list for 1500 pts

CCS - 4 Meltas/ Chimera - 145

1st Platoon:

PCS - 4 flamers /Chimera with 2 heavy flamers - 105

3 squads combined/3 Autocannons - 180

1 HWS with mortars - 60

2nd Platoon:

PCS - 4 Grenade Launchers/Chimera with heavy bolters- 105

3 squads combined/3 Lascannons - 225

1 HWS with mortars - 60

1 vets 3 meltas /chimera with multilaser and heavy bolter- 155
1 vets 3 meltas /chimera with multilaser and heavy bolter- 155

2 armored sentinals Lascannons - 140

2 griffons - 150

total 1480 leaves 20 pts for extra stuff

I am pretty flexible with the chimera weapon loadouts. I have 7 total with a mix of weapons. I am also experimenting with the PCS weapons, I have enough flamers and grenade launchers to field 10 of each.

For the next step up to 1850, I plan to add:

1 vets 3 plasma/ chimera - 170

1 more armored sentinel with lascannon - 70

1 LRBT without sponsons - 150

Total 1870 (will have to tweak somewhere to make this fit)

For the next step up to 2000pts:

I will drop the 3rd sentinel and 1 chimera and add a vendetta - 130

1 more LRBT of some variety up to 145 pts.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
On your Chimeras..the best builds are -

- for mobile units that need to get close to the enemy to use their weapons...ML/HF
- for firebase-type units that have longer ranged weapons (Plasma/HWT)...ML/HB

there really is no good reason to swap out the ML for either a HB or HF because it's a more versatile all-round better weapon. Dual HF's are ineffective because you need to move to get them in range, but by moving you can only fire 1 of them anyway, and no-one is going to walk in front of a static vehicle with 2 templates.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yeah what HOBO said about the chimeras.

Also you may want to add a commissar into each of the combined squads to minimise the risk of getting swept in combat.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Personally i would drop a griffon and switch it with one of the other artillery pieces, yeah the accurate bombardment rule is nice but it won't take out heavier targets. And actually the LRBT costs more than 130...
Other than that, the list is pretty effective against all armies.

·
Registered
261 Posts
An interesting hybrid list. You have 5 chimeras, some armour and some footsloggers.

CCS- perfect as it is.
PCS- perfect except for dual flamer. Take a ML/HF. Flame-by unit.
Inf- add a commissar with powerweapon for LD increase and some CC.
HWS- I dislike mortars. If you ditch 1 HWS you can buy 2 commissars.
PCS- I'd go with the flamers again.
Inf- add a commissar with powerweapon for LD increase and some CC.
HWS- I dislike mortars. If you ditch 1 HWS you can buy 2 commissars.
Vets- perfect as it is.
Vets- perfect as it is.

Sentinels- putting an one shot weapon on a BS3 walker... I'd rather take the plasmacannon. That thing can wipe out termies, mEQ, light armour. And the BS is less important.

Griffons- In small games I like these guys. Cheap, on target and S6 AP4 will help in those small games. In big games these guys just steal slots from the real big hitters. your army is very shortranged (except the lascanons and autocannons) and a Manticore would add serious S10 firepower that will deal with armour and infantry alike from afar. Weakening the enemy before they get to you.

On a general not you have a real lack of reliable ranged weaponry to stop armoured assault. I'd sonsider dropping the second HWS (after dropping the first) and take a naked CCS to order your blob squads. The melta CCS can than go with the vets and order itself or the vets for killing armour. If you can find 15pts voxes on that naked CCS and the blob squads would be nice to make sure the autocannons and lascannons hit their targets.

See what you can do with this.

Greetz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Tweak #3

Again, thanks for the advice. So here is what I have for 1500 pts:

CCS - 4 Meltas/ Chimera ML/HF - 145 (Will move with the vets)
CCS - 4 GL - 70 (Will hang out with the Inf Patoons)

1st Platoon:
PCS - 4 flamers /Chimera ML/HB- 105
3 squads combined/3 Autocannons - 180
1 HWS with mortars - 60

2nd Platoon:
PCS - 4 flamers/Chimera ML/HF- 105
3 squads combined/3 Lascannons - 225

1 vets 3 meltas /chimera with ML/HF- 155
1 vets 3 meltas /chimera with ML/HF- 155

2 armored sentinals Plasma Cannons - 150

2 griffons - 150

total 1500

For the next step up to 1850, I plan to drop the Griffons and one GL from the 2nd CCS and add:

1 vets 3 plasma/ chimera - 170 (or another LRBT if need be)
1 LRBT without sponsons - 150
1 Vendeta -130
1 Chimera with ML/HF for the 2nd CCS (or drop all 4 GL's and go with 2 commissars in the inf platoons instead)

Total 1850

For the next step up to 2000pts:

1 LRBT -150 or (add the Griffons back if up against a horde army)

I will definately keep the commissars and vox suggestions in mind. I am going to do some experimenting and see how it works.

I left in one HWS with mortars just because I really like them and have had decent luck with them in the past. But I can drop them and do some tweaking elsewhere with the points.

I also just bought a manticore, will get that built and painted as an option I can roll in.

I also like Hydras, but don't have the models yet. I am hoping that GW will put them out in a plastic kit soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question about LRBT loadouts

Is there a good article that discusses LRBT loadouts? For example what sponsons and/or hull weapons if any go with what main weapon. I tried seeing what turrets I could swap around and learned that the new tanks and the old tanks cannot swap turrets without modifications. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't know id there is, but I can give you my take on turrets/sponsons.

Important is to remember against some units making shootings attacks with different AP weapons (like AP3 battle cannon and AP4 heavy bolters) will allow 'wound allocation abuse'. But this abuse will only start occuring when you make more hits then there are models in the unit. (Which means you're doing very well.) Against multi-wound 'abuse' units with no identical models(seer counsils, nob bikers, thunderwolf cavalry) different AP weapons will always be abused.

My take on russes:
LRBT- battle cannon w/ heavy flamer.
The BC had good range and deals with mEQ and armour. The HF deals with stuff that closes with your rear armour. In most cases those units die to both AP3 and AP4.
The battle cannon can work with plasma cannon sponsons, but the 36" range is sometimes none-compatible. (I often use the battle cannon across the board, from corner to corner.)
LR Executioner- executioner cannon w/ heavy flamer.
Same as above, but a lascannon is possible because of AP2. Plasma sponsons are almost a no-brainer. Going from 3 templates to 5 templates for a cost of 40pts is a great bargain.

I must admit other LR versions do not find a warm welcome in my lists.
LR vanquisher- vanquisher cannon w/ lascannon
You're buying an (overpriced) tankkiller, so take the LC for extra power. This tank is just hugely overpriced and guard have so many good anti-tank choices (vendettas, melta-vets, melta-CCS, devil dog) you should not waste a HS slot on it.

LR Punisher- punisher cannon w/ heavy bolter
This model just works against horde armies and even then a LRBT could work as well with template hits. 20 shots, 10 hits, 5 or 6 wounds... a template can do that easily. If you take this one, HB sponsons are a posibility. Just stand still.

LR Eradicator- Eradicator cannon w/ heavy bolter
Never used it. Ignore coversaves with an AP4 weapon... why would you want it? You want AP3 and ignore cover, like the colossus.

LR with autocannons... what's its name? Same as with the punisher. Complement the AP4 firepower with heavy bolters if you want. But if you want autocannons, just get hydras. Those are cheaper, so combine two.

Basicaly I think the LRBT and the Executioner are good tanks and only the executioner really needs sponsons. The rest of the tanks aren't as good as other choices in the codex. The codex is just that good.

Greetz

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
LR with autocannons... what's its name? Same as with the punisher. Complement the AP4 firepower with heavy bolters if you want. But if you want autocannons, just get hydras. Those are cheaper, so combine two.
It's the Exterminator - and it has a place in lists instead of the Hydra for two reasons:
- Fire on the move with no loss of shots - Hydra's only fire two twin-linked shots if they move.
- Ability to soak up damage - AV14/13 vs AV12/10

·
Registered
261 Posts
I did forget the LR demolisher. Personally I don't like the 24" range the cannon offers. The S10 AP2 is very good against both infantry and armour, just short ranged with S10. I'd see it as a landraider killer mostly and I've seen people play it with MM side sponons. Those are also 24" and kill tanks and elite infantry. Put that baby in the middle of the table and see who's brave enough to wander inside 24".

I just like the executioner more than the demolisher. It's more expensive but with 5 S7 AP2 templates it means death to all who come in sight.

About the exterminator... I wouldn't spent points on it. I rather have 2 hydras. Two hydras still fire 2x2 S7 AP4 twin-linked shots. When stationary it goed up to 4x2 S7 and 2x3 S5. (But I must admitt hydras don't do it for me anymore. Russes, manticores and medusas just demand the slots.)

Greetz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again!

MM sponsons on a Demolisher, I hadn't thought of that. Great, now I have to buy, build and paint 2 more hulls.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i believe that the best over all leman russ variant is the leman russ battle tank. great infantry killer and can take out light tanks. if you upgrade it with a lascannon you have a lot of potential at engaging different units. with that said it is if you hit...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts