Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was looking to try and run an allied list with a small force i'm looking to invest in. My ideas was to have a fast, hard hitting blood angels core, with plenty of guard bodies to make up the numbers, probably some tanks too. I'm very new to guard and still trying to grasp the idea of platoons and that. I know this is a guard list forum so i'm not sure if i'm posting in the right place, correct me if i'm wrong please.

The core looks something like this:

- Reclusiarch in a drop pod with death company with bolters and some axes

- 2 lascannon razorbacks with 6 man assault squads in them with meltas

- 2 baal preds

This leaves me with around 400 points to play with, what would you suggest bringing for the guard? I was hoping to get 2 cadian defence force boxes as it looks like a solid core to base the new army about.
let me know what you think :) thanks.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Ha! A list after my own heart. I'd go:

Reclusiarch

9x man DC w/ 2x Axes, Bolters, Drop Pod

6x man Assault squad w/ Melta Gun, Razorback with Lascannons

6x man Assault squad w/ Melta Gun, Razorback with Lascannons

Baal Predator w/ Assault Cannons, Heavy Bolters

Company Command Squad w/ Chimera

Veterans w/ 2x Melta Guns, Flamer, Chimera

Veterans w/ 2x Melta Guns, Flamer, Chimera

Leman Russ Demolisher w/ Heavy Bolters

1501 points. I know it's one less Baal than you intended, but...Demolisher!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's really handy actually ntaw, I'd only have to buy the new cadian defence force box set. The only problem I have though, is that I wanted to be able to have a mass of bodies to make up for the lack of blood Angels. Like I said, I'm no expert in guard but if u think it'll work that's fine by me. Also, how would u go about securing objectives in your DZ? Thanks

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'm glad you like the list. On top of the Cadian Defense Force box you would need two more Chimeras and three more Melta Guns (you get one with the Command squad), and you'd have to convert the Battle Cannon that comes in the box to a Demolisher cannon (this is basically just shortening the barrel). You can have a mass of bodies as well, but I think this fits in with the Blood Angel play style of having a highly mobile army a lot more. As far as objectives in my own deployment zone, they don't exist with an army like this. I put any I'm allowed to place mid-field so that as I advance (and I will be advancing) I can take objectives. Putting one in your own deployment zone at the beginning of the game flat-tires your advance and doesn't play to this list's strengths. Sometimes I'll straight up put as many objectives in my enemy's deployment zone as can fit, because that's where my army is going to be at the end of the game.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
ntaw has some good suggestions there, though I might drop the heavy bolter sponsons on the Demolisher (since they'll be snapping fire if you shoot the Demolisher's main gun) for a few more special weapons on the command squad.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Yeah, that bit of advice in part comes from all my Leman Russ tanks coming with the sponsons glued on already. I've yet to work up the nerve to cut them off, fix the sides of the tanks, and magnetize the remains. I have however come to love those extra weapons for Weapons Destroyed! results, 9 Snap Shots when your pie plate scatters, and 9 Heavy Bolter shots when your Demolisher Cannon gets blown up.

Putting special weapons in the Company Command Squad would be nice, capitalize on that BS4 the Veterans all have. I've also thought about playing my Veterans and Command Squad in this application with Autocannon Heavy Weapon Teams shooting out of the top hatch, the Vets with two Plasma Guns in addition instead of the Flamer/double Melta combo. On the move you have a lot of Snap Shots, but if you remain stationary you get some additional heavy firepower. Lots of S7 firepower at short/medium range for a 10 man squad of Guard models.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, and great tips for the objectives ntaw. Just one quick question though, would militarum tempestus be viable for this list instead of AM. I just love the idea of grab chute insertion along with BA haha

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If you dropped the Guard from that list for Scions you could get a lot more bodies on the table. Basically I'd take a Tempestus Command Squad and as many 10 man Scion squads as the points allow. Garnish with weapons as you see fit, Plasma is nice but those Salvo 2/4 guns look pretty cool too. I would certainly ally in an Inquisitor for Servo Skulls to assist with the safe arrival of that many bodies, even if he's to hide in a corner (I've done that my last three games, he's consistently died hilariously) and not give up First Blood. They're pretty much an auto-include for me in lists with three or more units arriving from Deep Strike, and they're dirt cheap.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Love ntaw's list. I am an AM player and have recently introduced BA into the mix. in my view I play the BA very aggressively almost as a distraction while I hammer the enemy with long range fire which the AM excel at. Therefore I love the DC and Baal preds but would have a platoon with heavy weapons for holding a home objective and giving your opponents multiple decisions to make about what to go after in their turn. I would include something like this as my AM part of the army:

Aegis defence line
CCS - HWT
Platoon
PCS - 4 flamers & chimera
2 infantry squads (combined) - 2 HWT's & commissar
2 x HWT'S - 3 AC's each
1 vet squad - 3 meltas or plasma's & chimera

Not sure how many points this is as you can switch out different HW's but here there are multiple units that score and can hurt - particularly with AC's. The CCS can issue orders for max shooting efficiency and the PCS and vets are a good assault deterrent that can grab obj's late game. You have target saturation while the DC press into the opponents territory.

The big issue here though is getting the models together, the cost of this type of army is a little expensive but each unit has a purpose with an overall plan.
Be interesting to know what you all think.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
That's certainly a solid mass of bodies Hocky, but... tanks! A Leman Russ Battle Tank gives you a 72" Large Blast s8 ap3 marine killing cannon to back up your blood angels with. It may not help you against terminators too well, but it's more likely to be effective the whole game than those vets in a chimera are. Having said that, I DO keep a melta vet squad in chimera in reserve for most of my games. The flexibility to reinforce a flank as required is excellent.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the LR demolisher. I like the eradictor more for anti infantry. The main gun isn't a demolisher cannon or even a battle cannon when it comes to killing stuff like Meq, but it's great against xenos and Geq because it ignores cover, and S6 AP4 may as well be S10 AP2 against light and medium infantry targets. It's the cheapest LR and since its gun isn't ordnance you can shoot everything else at the same time when you don't move. For a bit of flexibility I even like the idea of sticking plasma cannons on the sponsons, which aren't going to be worse than BS3 heavy bolters against horde infantry (maybe better) but with the main cannon and heavy bolter it could be decent against stuff with power armour or even terminator armour. The difference in cost between the plasma cannons and heavy bolters means you aren't really wasting points on it even if you don't shoot a single 3+ save target all game. I guess the downside is the risk of overheating, but there's only a one in twelve chance of that happening each time you fire one of the plasma cannons

I'd stick a heavy stubber on too. Why not? Stay still and you can hammer a target with the nova cannon, two plasma cannons, a heavy bolter and heavy stubber all for less points than a base LR demolisher with no upgrades.

Since a demolisher with heavy bolter sponsons (assuming no other upgrades) costs 35 points more than the eradictor I described you could spend those saved points on AP2 weapons elsewhere

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nice point Iraqiel. I do like my russes - I have a punisher, executioner and demolisher. Of recent times I have definitely favoured solid dice rolling rather than scatter dice rolling though. Too many times I have fired a Battle or demolisher cannon and missed horrendously. Therefore I have reverted more to orders and HWT's to ensure the job gets done with a manticore to back me up. I love my manticore - St 10 and sometimes 3 shots can decimate armies and this one tank alone has demolished armies at tournaments with some good rolling.
At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice and how the units work together as a whole so there is no right or wrong answer as long as each part of the army compliments the others.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
A Demolisher accompanying Pask in a Punisher with Melta sponsons and hull Lascannon is a pretty friggin' amazing combo. I've done it in a couple games and they have plowed through everything they came across, but it's 430 points (if my memory serves correct, and including Heavy Bolter sponsons on the Demolisher) so it's a bit hard to include in a 1500 point game.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i've already bought my first box of scions and have ordered the storm scions set so it looks like its militarum tempestus for me :) with the fluff now from shield of baal, it looks great to ally these two.

thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts