Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've decided to start an Eldar army as I love playing "Elfish" type armies. I'm not gonna do DE when they come out, so this was my other best option. I'm attempting to build a non-spam All-comers list, my current meta is against Nids, BA, and ORKS. I would appreciate any words of advice on how to enhance the list without changing the theme too much, or spamming.

1500pts Eldar:

HQ:
Eldrad Ulthran 210

Farseer w/ RoW, Guide 85

Troops:
Pathfinders x5 120
Pathfinders x5 120
Wraith Guard x10 w/ Spiritseer (Enhance) 396

Elite
Fire Dragons x5 + Exarch w/ FirePike + Wave serpent 261

Fast Attack:
Warp Spiders x5 110

Heavy Support
War Walker x3 (sqd) TL SctLas 195

Total points: 1497

the goal of this army was to use snipers and Wraithguard as the Anvil, Field Farseer with War Walkers, use Fire dragons as talk poppers, Warp spiders as Flankers, and Eldrad to sit behind the wraithguard and destroy stuff.

Praise and criticisms are welcome, we learn more from failings than we do from successes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks like a fairly tough nut to me I can't see any major problems with it my end but others might :grin:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Well, three things immediate spring to mind.

1. Those War Walkers are actually 180 points, unless you added stones. But you didn't need to add stones because they get the same effect from being in a squad. So, 180.

2. There just are not really enough shots in the list to effectively deal with the horde abilities of Nids and Orks. You only have one unit with a solid shot output, and a ton of others that will crush under the weight of numbers running at you.

3. I would lose that Fire Pike. The only time it is useful is when the rest of the squad is out of melta range, but you have one heck of a transport so you should be able to make sure the entire squad can be in range.

Some lesser things would be, the Wraithguard will be much more survivable from ranged with a Conceal lock rather than Enhance. After all, these guys will have trouble in CC against any squad with a PF already and with only 1 attack each they will have minimal effect in return. As is, one solid Battle Cannon like shot will decimate the squad, Conceal along with Eldrad's Fortune will keep the squad rolling much longer.

I'm know that is Runes of Witnessing on that other Seer, but RoW is a tad too close to both options. Try RoWit, just makes it less confusing at a glance for people less familiar.

What is on that Wave Serpent? Bright Lance and Spirit Stones? That is good as the rest of the list lacks long range anti tank/MC but it is a tad risky as it is your only Tank on the board. It will likely become a target priority early on, fair warning.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Small problem about the non eldrad farseer. Since he cannot join the war walker unit could get shot down with a single krak missile.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's an easy enough problem to avoid, leaving the Farseer in a squad of Pathfinders would make him that much more resilient. Even more so if he had a way to Fortune the squad he is in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taking some advice from you guys and a friend of mine I Modified my list a bit and here is the result:

HQ
Eldrad: 210

Troops
Pathfinders x5: 120
Pathfinders x5: 120
WraithGuard x10, Spirit Seer w/ Conceal: 396

Elite
Fire Dragons x5 + Exarch (TH; CS) + Wave Serpent w/ TLBrightLances, Spirit Stones: 273

Heavy
WarWalker x3 w/ TL SctL

Fast Attack
Vyper Squadron, 2x TL SCannon, BL TL-SCat: 195

Total points 1494

As you can see I've removed the extra seer and the Warp Spiders in luieu of a Vyper Squadron, I removed the pike from the FD exarch as well, and changed the spiritseer to conceal.

this should give me more than enough shots to handle a horde army as well as some punch where it needs it. As Always suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Beware! No heavy weapons on a vyper are twin-linked! They will go off with the low BS as normal. They are a very pricey, fragile, still inaccurate place to put a Bright Lance.

Just not the biggest fan of Vypers, but I've seen them work well for people that use them often. I would have just used those points to boost the Spiders up. But the added anti-tank is always nice!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait, I don't understand why they don't TL, I though any model who wielded dual ranged weapons that were the exact same were TL.

Regardless, the reason I replaced the Warp spiders is because my friend said that I didn't have any CC Hammer units to assist the Wraithguard incase they got into a scrum. Any suggestions on how I could resolve that?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Wait, I don't understand why they don't TL, I though any model who wielded dual ranged weapons that were the exact same were TL.

Regardless, the reason I replaced the Warp spiders is because my friend said that I didn't have any CC Hammer units to assist the Wraithguard incase they got into a scrum. Any suggestions on how I could resolve that?
not all weapons in the codex twin link: that's particular in each unit entry.

TBH, i think i see where you're going but you're all over the place. Eldrad + Wraithguard unit is hard, but also hella expensive. looking at 606 pts. in just one unit.

don't know which way you want to go with this, but frankly, i'd just about start from scratch. if you're wanting to field Wraith Guard, you have to be sure they get in close enough to be effective.

good hunting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As a note! Just as Vyper guns aren't twin-linked, neither are War walkers! Those 2 Scatterlasers on each of them actually puts out 24 shots! At a BS3, but still better than 12 that are twin-linked.

Or did you mean they just become TL after you put Guide on them?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Now knowing what I do, I dropped the Vypers for Warp spiders, added an exarch with 2x death spinners (Both powers), and an extra man in the unit, and I'm back at 1495.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts