Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Returning to the hobby after a couple of years Studying, I always liked Cc (Combat) bezerker-csm lists but I want to try something similar but different (plus I don't really like the new csm codex), Space wolves would have to be my new choice:

HQ:
-Wolf Lord-205
2 Wolf Claws, Runic Armor, Wolftooth Necklace, Saga of the Warrior Born

-Wolf Priest-105
Boltgun,wolftail talisman

TR:
-9 Grey Hunters-185
Flamer, PowerWeapon
-Rhino

-10 Grey Hunters-200
Flamer, PowerWeapon
-Rhino

EL:
-10 Scouts-187
9Snipers, Missle

-Lone Wolf-45
Terminator Armor

FA:
-3 Thunderwolf Cavalry-150

-3 Thunderwolf Cavalry-150

HS:
-5 Long Fangs-115
4x Missles

-5 Long Fangs-155
4x Plasma Cannon

One of my main concerns with my list is how I've been told there are now 'fliers' in basically every list, I've included the Lascannons generally for that purpose (I'd use the thunderwolves to take out tanks etc.), I also don't know how viable scouts are and whether I should replace them with a dreadnought or standard wolf guard, thoughts? :dunno:
Thanks ^^

*Edit, swapped a few things around

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Fliers have their own special rules, unfortunately, and a lascannon is NOT effecetive counters to that. Short version: ground units can only hit fliers on a roll of 6, and nothing has an armor better than 12 Front. Because of this, you don't really need something as powerful as a lascannon; Twin-Linked autocannons tend to be the weapon of choice for dealing with them (the Aegis Defense Line pretty much exists for this purpose).

Powerfists tend to not be as good as a simple Power Sword (or with SW, Frost Swords). If you're worried about vehicles, take meltabombs, but usually going last is gonna have you dead before you can swing that fist, unless you're a terminator.

I'd probably go without any upgraded weapons for the TWC because they get rending normally, but if your eally want, add a Frost Weapon (because while an axe is only S6, you at least get another attack with it).

·
Registered
22 Posts
without skyfire its is dang hard to hit the flyers. a rune priest with divination cast on your fangs will drop the probability of hitting from 1 in 6 to 1 in 3

·
Registered
32 Posts
You have to reduce both Longfang-Squads by one, they must take a heavy weapon each except for the Leader, extra wounds are not possible with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So, Drop powerfists (Pw on the grey hunters), 2 long fangs, and I've for 100pts for a rune priest for the lascannon longfangs?

(Note I've ordered a 6th Gen rulebook but it hasn't arrived yet, so as for psychic powers etc not got a clue, sorry ^^)

*Edit, said something stupid =P

·
Registered
22 Posts
I typically go for Missile launchers on my Fangs, as they are 15 pts cheaper and the numbers aren't that much different except vs an AV14 vehicle

plus being able to drop a template on infantry is nice. 75pts seems like a lot... dunno maybe i'm wrong here

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could take rockets on both squads and take an autocannon-hb pred, I like that idea but I don't really want to lose the plasma cannons (they're my go to for taking out large quality squads, ~basically space marines and necrons)

Meh, it's something to think about, thanks for the advice guys ^^, I think I'll go plasma-rockets and swap if need be :)

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
@"Mad" Larkin - You have to reduce both Longfang-Squads by one, they must take a heavy weapon each except for the Leader, extra wounds are not possible with them.
This is actually incorrect. We Space Wolves are a bit special... the Long Fangs Squad comprises of up to 5 Long Fangs with Heavy Weapons plus a 6th model who is the Squad Leader. This is different from the standard Space Marine Devastator Squad make-up.

In addition, we don't use the Split-Fire special rule but the Fire Control special rule instead. This allows the Long Fangs team to target two different units in any weapon combination and numbers so long as the squad leader is alive (no leadership test require either!).

@LokiDeathclaw - I collect SW and I'm considering a FW Fire Raptor......so if your looking to add a flier to your SW that's an option. Seems to be the only flier for SW.
There are a total of 3 fliers available to the Wolves and they are all from Forgeworld at the moment. These are the Storm Eagle, Caestus Assault Ram and the latest Fire Raptor addition.

The only downside to all this at the moment is that you can't simply bring it along to any game as it is not a Games Workshop model so it usually requires consent from the opponent for it to be brought to the game AND you have to bring along the physical copy of the Imperial Armour Aeronautica Rulebook to the game. Not quite sure about the Fire Raptor though as this doesn't have its entry in any of the current rulebooks.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
This is actually incorrect. We Space Wolves are a bit special... the Long Fangs Squad comprises of up to 5 Long Fangs with Heavy Weapons plus a 6th model who is the Squad Leader. This is different from the standard Space Marine Devastator Squad make-up.
Then what Larkin said was correct, since both long fang packs are full strength but only have four heavy weapons rather than the required five (for that size.)

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Then what Larkin said was correct, since both long fang packs are full strength but only have four heavy weapons rather than the required five (for that size.)
Re-read the list and yes, you are right. Either drop one LF or add another heavy weapon choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have changed my list around a bit and downsized the Long Fangs
(In the Codes it stats 1-5 long fangs, 1 Squad Leader and says that every long fang but the leader must take a weapon, so I couldn't have a standard extra wound -the dudes without heavy weapons-but I could have a 5th weapon if I wanted ~I'm assuming)
I'll change the list at the top in a second^

1 - 12 of 12 Posts