Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please give me feedback on this list. I expect to field it against IG mecha in the near future. 1500pts.

HQ
Chapter master in artificer armour w. bolter and lightning claw
Master of the forge w. conversion beamer

TROOPS
5xScout w. bolt pistol and combat blade, Sgt w. MB
5xScout w. bolt pistol and combat blade, Sgt w. MB
3xScout w. SR, 1xScout w. ML, Sgt Telion

ELITE
Sternguard w. 4xcombi-melta, 1xcombi-flamer, razorback w. TLLC
Sternguard w. 4xcombi-melta, 1xcombi-flamer, razorback w. TLLC

FAST
Land speeder w. MM, HF
Land speeder w. MM, HF
Land speeder w. MM, HF

HEAVY
Dreadnought w. TLLC
Dreadnought w. TLLC

Your feedback is valuable.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
You have enough shooting threats and the scouts will be hard to drive off of an objective with thier 2+ (cammo cloaks right?) Horde might be difficult to manage since your troops are fragile... but I think it could work.

Couple of thoughts though....
1. Are Tellion and the Chapter master REALLY worth the points you'll sink into them? Think about the opportunity cost there...
2. Your troops are really squishy... but it might be fun to run them anyway... I would consider adding ML's to the squads.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You have enough shooting threats and the scouts will be hard to drive off of an objective with thier 2+ (cammo cloaks right?) Horde might be difficult to manage since your troops are fragile... but I think it could work.

Couple of thoughts though....
1. Are Tellion and the Chapter master REALLY worth the points you'll sink into them? Think about the opportunity cost there...
2. Your troops are really squishy... but it might be fun to run them anyway... I would consider adding ML's to the squads.
You're right and have given me an idea. Chapter master is there for his orbital bombardmant, but I just realised MotF isn't unique. I'll take two of those instead! Telion is there to pick off those hugely annoying guard special characters, and to snipe heavy weapons squads (if I see any). He probably is not justified...

What are your feelings about changing Sternguard out for Devastator squads? For about the same cost I could have two squads each with 2xML 1xLC (benefiting from the signum), 1xcombi-weapon for the Sgt, and TLLC Razorbacks (to cower behind). Devastators are mediocre, but here I'd like long-range shootu and they're a way to get that. As are ML scouts, which I need to think about. That BS3 puts me off (another small benefit with Telion is he can pass on his great shooting skill to the ML).

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
What are your feelings about changing Sternguard out for Devastator squads? For about the same cost I could have two squads each with 2xML 1xLC (benefiting from the signum), 1xcombi-weapon for the Sgt, and TLLC Razorbacks (to cower behind). Devastators are mediocre...
it wouldn't be a bad idea, but the issue is that you have squishy troops. with so much of your army set up to hang back, you need to deploy forward threats to take the heat from your Scouts. by taking Devs, even more of your army hangs back, which is an invation for your opponent to get in your deployment zone.

why don't you take Pedro Kantor? he still has orbital bombardment and he makes your Sternies scoring. and no, you don't have to paint them like Crimson Fists, counts as is pretty awesome any more.

lastly, and because i don't have the codex on me, check the points cost on the Dreads; i may be cheaper to run them with x2 TL AC instead of the single TL LC.

AC is not as good a LC, but you get more shot.

good hunting.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
it wouldn't be a bad idea, but the issue is that you have squishy troops. with so much of your army set up to hang back, you need to deploy forward threats to take the heat from your Scouts. by taking Devs, even more of your army hangs back, which is an invation for your opponent to get in your deployment zone.

why don't you take Pedro Kantor? he still has orbital bombardment and he makes your Sternies scoring. and no, you don't have to paint them like Crimson Fists, counts as is pretty awesome any more.

lastly, and because i don't have the codex on me, check the points cost on the Dreads; i may be cheaper to run them with x2 TL AC instead of the single TL LC.

AC is not as good a LC, but you get more shot.

good hunting.
What he said! :so_happy:

Also, I think ACs are "more better than las" cause they let you bring torrent of fire to MCs or light vehicles - ie, more shots = better

But the downside is that the conversions are kind of a PITA and the Forgeworld stuff is pricey...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
What he said! :so_happy:

Also, I think ACs are "more better than las" cause they let you bring torrent of fire to MCs or light vehicles - ie, more shots = better

But the downside is that the conversions are kind of a PITA and the Forgeworld stuff is pricey...
hah, thanks!

and the conversion isn't that horrible to deal with if you have a low standard; i bought a couple of AoBR Dread that had been converted with TL AC, and the previous owner simply chopped off the standard weaponry of the Dread and simply glued two IG Auto Cannons on each arm.

it's attrocious, but for gamig, it worked.

needless to say i took it appart and plan to work on it soon...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hah, thanks!

and the conversion isn't that horrible to deal with if you have a low standard; i bought a couple of AoBR Dread that had been converted with TL AC, and the previous owner simply chopped off the standard weaponry of the Dread and simply glued two IG Auto Cannons on each arm.

it's attrocious, but for gamig, it worked.

needless to say i took it appart and plan to work on it soon...
Twin TLAC looks extremely good: if I had anything that looked like one I'd field it! My collection includes two dreadnoughts; both are old school walkers armed with DCCW and some kind of thing that I am comfortable counting as an archeotech lascannon or plasma cannon, but it isn't very AC like :(

I believe you are right about the Devastator squads. Melta-Sternguard look better. Pedro is an interesting call. Do you think I will see enough cc to make his +1 attack valuable? I expect to be fighting chmelta and a lot of unpleasant leman russ tanks.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Quick note, when you change your list... just put it into a separate post... it makes it a lot easier to follow...

BTW, I like the list now.. I would drop MOTF and go with Pedro... It's not "hard as nails" competative, but it certainly has enough to hang....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts