Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I've just started with Lizardmen having picked up a copy of the army book yesterday. My immediate thoughts on a list was as follows. Please give your opinions and improvements:

Slann-Mage Priest: focus of mystery and the focused rumination= 325
(initial thought is lore of life)

20 Saurus Warriors: spears; champion, musician and standard bearer= 270

10 Skink Skirmishers= 70
10 Skink Skirmishers= 70
10 Skink Skirmishers= 70
10 Skink Skirmishers= 70

20 Temple Guard: revered guardian, musician and standard bearer= 355

Total= 1500

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get rid of Skink Skirmishers, they are pretty pointless, however, Chameleon Skinks are ace, 10 of those would be a nice addition. Then again, your Skink's do have Posioned Attacks AND Quick to Fire, allowing for holding up units and taking the odd one out.

Temple Guard are way too expensive for what they are, but with Slann-Mage Priest they are a bit more worth it, still not enough, but there we go. They keep your Slann protected for a bit.

Saurus Warriors are ace, best bits of the Lizardman army, you could try pushing those two blocks together for a 40 block of 10 rank, 4 file, which allows 1. Horde rule and 2. With spears you'll get to have all the ranks attacking, meaning a possible total of 50 attacks. (20 for first file, then 10 for 2nd, 3rd and 4th). But two blocks of 20 are fine also :)

I'd get a Stegadon somewhere in there, pref with EotG as the buff's it give is ace AND can be changed per turn, nothing is more awesome than giving your army protection from range attacks as you move forward before casting the buff that does damage on charge (which you'll be doing with the Stega).

Next, I'd get a Skink Priest, they are a Lv.1 Mage, only use Heaven Lore, but an additional mage to help dispell, PLUS if your Slann's spell is 1. Miscast or 2. Dispelled then you loose out a huge phase in terms of damage. If dispelled then you can then turn your entire power dice to your Priest and try to get it off.

SB are pretty useful, coupled with CB it means your units will rarely run away.

In terms of damage, you'll need to invest in some Razordons (Pretty powerful) and Salamanders (I Believe even MORE powerful than they used to be). Razordons are ace, if you have three in a squad, they roll a D6 to see how many shots they get off, so if you roll a 6, then each one will do 6 shots, so 18 shots in total, pretty nice. However, if a unit charges them, they MUST take a Stand and Shoot test, in that case you get to roll 2D6, so rolling 12 then.... well... 36 shots being thrown towards the charging unit, is going to cause SERIOUS damage. The only downside is possibility of your handlers getting killed. Salamanders are pretty good due to damage, the template size and both burning and -3 armour save.

Kroxigors are pretty ace units to get. They are MI meaning they get Stomp, they have Great Weapons (+2 Strength, but Always Strikes Last) so, 6 Strength, 3 Attacks, Fear and River/Swamp Strider which is pretty ace, plus you only need 6(I think) to count as a "Horde" plus they don't get attacks reduced to 1 if they are in other ranks. :)

Another possible damage dealer is Kroq-Garr (Lord) as far as I know, his mount has the highest strength of any mount in the game, and Kroq-Garr isn't a slouch either. He costs amount of points, but I'd play him, but I'm a sucker for cool units. Not to mention Lord Kroak and his insane magical abilities.

Cold One Cavalry are suspectable to Stupidity, which isn't great. Terradon Riders are pretty unique.

Other Lords/Heroes worth looking into are Chakax, Scar Veterans.

Hope this helps, depends if you are playing with friends or competative games. If it is friends, get models you like, if it is competative, look up Tournament army lists.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Drop 2 units of skirmishers. Chameleons are good for warmachine hunting. A note on the Slann and Lore of Life. The first spell you should cast is throne of vines. This is the spell that will allow you to ignore mistcasts on a 2+ roll. This spell also increases the effects of all the other spells. If you're opponent dispells your spell, you still can cast magic (just not the spell that he dispelled). The skink priest is a good scroll caddy as well as comet (if you roll it is good).

You should also think about salamanders. In 8th edition, they are amazingly effective. They hit everything that is touched by the template and they are not considered breath weapons so can fire every turn. They can also march and fire (no stand and shoot though). The handlers can attack in combat, but cannot be targeted. A unit of 2 or even 3 is very nice. I had a game where a unit of 3 caused 18 hits and 13 wounds on a unit of sea guard (HE). They are really good. Any unsaved wound causes a panic check as well (a must with a horde unit).

As for making a horde unit out of the suarus, meh! I do not like the push for horde units in 8th edition. They are to unwieldy and most of the time, you will not get your full attacks from them because you are not facing another horde unit. I would stick the suarus into units of about 30 and go from there. Put a champion in the unit to absorb challenges and a scar vet to add to your combat resolution.

Terradons are ok in 8th. Their saving grace is the vanguard move (12 inch move at the begingin of turn 1, no charges if you go first though--you can charge if you go second). Remember that you get a stomp attack from them now. Also, you cannot charge on the turn that you drop rocks, so make sure you drop the rocks before you charge.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
drop the spears on the saurus the extra attacks don't justify the lose of survivability
A mere 6+ward save doesn't really compare to the extra attacks. The only case you'd want to take only HW/Shield is in a smaller unit, where the extra attacks would be quickly lost, and the small bit of extra survivability might make an impact.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Strange, I always thought you could attack with a shield + spear. Real life warriors can do it, I don't see why that does not apply to this game.

Shame... I don't know enough about this game nowadays. Hard to learn when the rules are wrong or not set out right. Makes me QQ :(

·
Registered
825 Posts
They are debating the extra fighting rank that spears give you.

HW+Shd = 2 ranks fight but you get a 6+ward save

Spears = 3 ranks fight, no ward save.

Depends on how wide you intend your unit to be. If you're planning on deploying 7 wide, take spears. HOwever the OP's units are 20 strong so will only ever be 5 wide, the ward save may be a better option as it will help maintain their rank bonus.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Strange, I always thought you could attack with a shield + spear. Real life warriors can do it, I don't see why that does not apply to this game.

Shame... I don't know enough about this game nowadays. Hard to learn when the rules are wrong or not set out right. Makes me QQ :(
You can fight with shield+spear... each only require 1 hand so its fine. Fighting with sword+shield is just better (for defense) since you cen fend off blows with the sword, shield or both (so you get an extra bonus of a 6++ ward save),

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Hey all,
I've just started with Lizardmen having picked up a copy of the army book yesterday. My immediate thoughts on a list was as follows. Please give your opinions and improvements:

Slann-Mage Priest: focus of mystery and the focused rumination= 325
(initial thought is lore of life)

Looks pretty decent. I'd probably make him your BSB as well. 25 points for rerollable LD 9 within 12" on 3 dice is probably a wise decision.

I would drop the spears and bump them up to 24 (6x4). I just can't justify spending points on spears when it TAKES AWAY a 6+ ward (pretty handy actually) and is only useful when you're charged. I prefer the extra bodies and a 6+ ward.

10 Skink Skirmishers= 70
10 Skink Skirmishers= 70
10 Skink Skirmishers= 70
10 Skink Skirmishers= 70

Drop 2 of these. They'll be doing 1 of 3 things for you. Going after big scary monsters, going after artillery your chameleons didn't finish off, and harassing everything else. Use the extra points to buy two units of 6 chameleon skinks to take care of stone throwers/cannons/organ guns.

20 Temple Guard: revered guardian, musician and standard bearer= 355

If the plan is to run these guys 6 wide and 4 deep then the unit size is fine. If the plan is to run them 5 wide 4 deep, you can drop 4 of them as the Slaan will take up that footprint allowing you to make the changes above. Although in 1500 points, I would give your slaan the 2+ ward vs shooting and run him solo behind your saurus lines (dropping these guys). Use the saved points to buy salamanders. Seriously. They are the solution to so many things being able to deal out tonnes of wounds at -3 to armour and a panic check. I never leave home without 2 units of 2.

Total= 1500
see above! Good Luck and Enjoy!

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Get rid of Skink Skirmishers, they are pretty pointless, however, Chameleon Skinks are ace, 10 of those would be a nice addition. Then again, your Skink's do have Posioned Attacks AND Quick to Fire, allowing for holding up units and taking the odd one out..
Hey where is the Quick to Fire rule located for them... I can't find it in the armybook.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Its not, its in the new rulebook. But I only thought skinks/chammies got it if they uses javalins, not with blowpipes as well (quite willing to be wrong though).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Unfortunately, Skink blowpipes do not have the quick to fire rule. Only the javelins have the rule (But really, they should be quick to fire). Until it is FAQ'd, no quick to fire rule on blowpipes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"In terms of damage, you'll need to invest in some Razordons (Pretty powerful) and Salamanders (I Believe even MORE powerful than they used to be). Razordons are ace, if you have three in a squad, they roll a D6 to see how many shots they get off, so if you roll a 6, then each one will do 6 shots, so 18 shots in total, pretty nice. However, if a unit charges them, they MUST take a Stand and Shoot test, in that case you get to roll 2D6, so rolling 12 then.... well... 36 shots being thrown towards the charging unit, is going to cause SERIOUS damage. "

Razordons roll artillary dice not d6 so have a potential 60 shots when doing a stand and shoot reaction:grin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts