Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya,

so with me having put my Orks on the shelf for the last year or so in favor of a new necron army, me and my friends are starting a campaign in the upcoming month. The points will vary heavily between the matches, but to motivate myself into painting two Battlewagons (we don't field anything that isn't painted) that's just been parked in a box partly assembled for a year, I have been putting together a list with them in focus. A list that is as much fun as good enough to be used, and I'm now asking for opinions and advice.

Here it is:

Big Mek - KFF, Bosspole. 90p
Big Mek - SAG, Bosspole. 100p

29 Shoota boyz with 3x RL, Nob with PK and Bosspole. 250p

11 Lootas. 165p
11 Lootas . 165p

Battlewagon with Kannon and 3 Big Shootas. 115p
Battlewagon with Kannon and 3 Big Shootas. 115p

Total: 1500p

General idea is to put the Battlewagons close to each other to act as weapon platforms, fill them with Lootas and a Big Mek each. They will be the centerpiece of the army, protecting the fragile Lootas while itself being a tough nut to crack with sides partly protected by the other tank and the KFF to envelop them both. The 90 footsloggin boyz will simply advance and shoot, either draw fire and give the wagons further survivability to do spew forth more Dakka, or wreak some serious havoc once they're close to the bulk of the enemies army if left relatively intact.

I can't switch the boyz Rokkits to Big Shootas due to not having the models, economy to buy nor interest even. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions, given I have the models or units to switch for. :eek:k:

Current thought: Given that anything that can bypass the boyz and crack open the Wagons could pretty much have their filthy ways with the lootas as well, I could pretty much trade in the Meks bosspoles for another Big Shoota on each tank.... Then again I have had nasty experience with failed moraletests before, and it's such a bummer having almost a hundred points of Lootas running off the board or trying to flee a melee only to be cut down. What do you guys think?

Cheers

·
Registered
221 Posts
For Simi-competitive I think you sound be ok, if you keep the RL you might be able to do so-so against armor but you'll lose at lot of use from the shootas if you do, and the BW’s will be top priority for your opponents anti-mech. But some things you might want to consider:

Firstly, while 90 boyz is indeed a lot, you don’t have anything protecting them besides numbers. The 18’’ range of their Shootas isn’t much so any shooty army is going to have a ton of fun with the impending turkey shot and the two(ish) turns that it will take you to get in shooty/CC range should be enough to destroy at least one unit and maybe damage another.

For the RL can you by chance ask your friends if you can’t just proxy them for Big Shootas or just normal Shootas. Another thing that might help is that you do have 22 Lootas so that means you might have at least 5 meks sitting around if you have them and left over bitz for your loota boxes you can make them into big shoota boyz.

I agree with you about dropping the boss pole from the big meks, if the battle wagons get popped your lootas are pretty much done for anyway, mostly because they will waste the opportunity to shot while they rush for cover(but then again the KFF gives them 5+ cover), but they also could (maybe) get eaten up in melee (lootas have a boyz stat line after all.)

And you might also really consider kitting both big meks with KFF’s. While putting both BW in the middle will theoretically let you threaten the entire field, things like terrain can limit your options because of line of sight blocking. Some playing fields just by terrain will force you to split of your BW in order to maximize your fire lanes. This also has the benefit of eliminating any major damage from pie plates.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, ArchangelPaladin.

The RL in the ork mobs will, like I mentioned, stay. I know the general population of ork players favor big shootas over rokkits among shoota boyz (and often no special weapons for sluggaboyz). But I feel that Orks lack anti-tank as it is for heavier tanks, and I'd rather pay up for a couple of more rokkits for a situation that calls for it, rather than standing there with nothing but shootas and Big shootas in LOS. :) Just a personal preference.

You have a valid point about switching the SAG on the Big Mek for another KFF, I have thought in similar ways. Another KFF could easily be placed either in the other Wagon, or among the footsloggin ork mobs, effectively giving all three mobs a coversave with a little careful placement.
The problem, however, is twofold; first, any army with two KFF pretty much sets opponent in aggromode, shrieking "cheese!" at the top of their lungs. Second, it removes the SAG, which I think is the most important funfactor. :D

If the list gets beaten up one too many times, I will probably take your advice on the Meks at heart and switch them out. For now, I will do that Bosspoles -> Big Shoota switch. Thanks :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts