Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feilded all of the Salamanders I had and made a 1500 point list for a tourney. I won one and lost two, but I crushed the Blood Angels and thats all that I care about.

I was not happy with the chaplin at all. So here are my suggested changes.

Vulkan

Assault squad x8, flamer, Sgt with thunder hammer, Rhino* (add Vulkan).

Tac squad, ML, MG, PF, combi-flamer, Las/Plas

Tac squad, LC, MG, PF, combi-flamer, Laserback

Scout squad x4, BP, CB, SGT w/ combi-melta, PF

Land Speeder Storm, MM

Ironclad, HKx2, MG, HF, DP

Land Speeder* x2, MM/HF

* what I am looking at changing/adding.

Thats 1497 points. What do you think?

·
Registered
220 Posts
my first thoughts are to drop the scouts and speeder storm, and change the tac LC to a ML. would be tempted to add in another ironclad and/or some sort of long range support, typhoon x2 or autolas pred x2. I love speeders so I vote yes on the mm/hf x2, or maybe not if you are interested in adding ranged support. I was taught to have adequate and versatile long-range support when playing marines.

my 2 pennies. good luck.

ps. was it only the chappy who didn't perform well enough? what else didn't own up to it's points/usability?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Vulkan loves Assault Termies with TH/SS and Land Raiders.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its hard to fit termies and a LR into 1500 points. I know you can but on lucky shot at the beginning of the game and you are playing chase all day with a third of your points.

I think the assault squad as a whole was not the best in the games. The flamer guy did single handly fry 4 korny beserkers. I love the ironclad. He has rocked so many time. He destroyed a squad of plague marines and most of a squad of kornys before he died in one game. I am going to add another one as soon as I get one together. Suprisingly the scouts rock. I run with a combi melta and PF. It takes most people by suprise when they move 12" hop out, and assault a unit or a pred that thought it was safe hiding behind a building. At most I have the sgt survive the game but not a crack unit its a great surgical strike unit with Vulkan

·
Registered
220 Posts
have you found the perks of vulcan to be make or break? Does his and the asslt marine CC efforts directly correspond with the scout and the dread cc, or have these elements have been working somewhat separate? I ask because you could drop vulcan and the asslt marines and add some fire power with another ironclad dread.

Those speeders could be risky where typhoon might be a good all around supporter and if you keep vulcan, a mm on the speeder would be a bonus for necessary suicide runs.

ps. if you don't already you should keep your speeders in separate units as it makes them more resourceful.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find that Vulkan adds a lot to the team. The assault squad I'm not sure about. I ran a chaplin with the assault squad as jump troops the last game. I need to get a rhino and try with Vulkan. He is mean in cc. I like the scouts and the storm. It has worked well as a mid game strike unit or beginning game changer. The iron clad comes in to support or to hit that hard to reach fire support unit. I understand the feel for splitting the speeders. The main problem now is that I only have one slot open unless I drop something. What I have in the list are the models I have ready now.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I think that while you're a little light on the shooting... the two ironclads dropping in make up for it a bit...

Personally, I would choose either Vulcan and assault boys, or scouts and speeder and then redirect the points from the loser choice into something more shooty... I think either one will work, but both seems to be clouding up the other elements...

But as it stands right now, you're running with some real threats (speeders, razorbacks, ironclad dropping, plus the ML/LC in the tac squads...) so I'm betting it will work...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am looking at running a 3rd tac squad to replace the scouts. Placing them in a rhino with a mm, flamer, pw. Still looking at the work around.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i'd definitely drop the assault squad.

personally, i would change the LC to a ML, drop the H/K missiles on the Dread, switch the MM on the LS Storm to a HF, and give the Scout sgt. a combi-melta and a PF. the LS storm has a meh BS, so i wouldn't spend the points for it to kill a tank.

the the Podnought has been working for you keep it, but you could save points by gettin a regulard Dread with a HF or going for a Rifleman Dread (TL AC) and ditching the pod.

i would invest in a Sternguard squad with combi-meltas and PF.

good hunting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts