D.T.: 3 wave sperpents w/ twin lances, cann, stones

H.S.: 2 falcons w/ EML, Holo, stones
1 nightspinner w/ holo, stones

= 1495

·
Registered
80 Posts
Umm mabye consolidate to two squads of 10 dire avengers and one of 5
and drop night spinner which i think gives u enough to buy 2 squads of 6 or five fire dragons to go in the falcons.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My knee-jerk reaction to this list was the same as these others, but it's an interesting list nonetheless. I assume in kill point games, you're playing denial as much as anything else; in objective games, you've clearly got a good setup. I think I'd leave this list as is, and see just how tricksy you can be with it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'd cut it down to 3 da squads, since 3 scoring units is plenty. Maybe buff them a bit (1 squad at 10, perhaps?) and make sure thay they all have transports.

I'd also make sure that the falcons have either scatterlasers or bright lances. Preferably scatterlasers for the points savings.

I'd cut the shadowspinner not matter what, either for fire dragons with a fairly stripped down ride or else trade it and a single falcon (you could have the lone falcon be 'drad's ride, although then it represents a nifty if durable target) and take two prisms. Prisms'd up your transportation needs but be cheaper than a falcon per, and it'd give you good horde killing power overall.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
So... points crunching:

"downing" the EMLs to scatterlasers (which are better against infantry and transports than an EML is anyways), dropping two DA squads and the stones on the DA transpor (that's one of them) would give you, erm, 150 points, iirc. That gives you 150 points to field some Fire Dragons if you want 'em, and if this is a tourney list then you want them. Downing the Brightlances on the serpents that now belong to the FDs down to shuriken cannons gives you an extra 70 points to play with. At 220 points you can afford both DA squads, AND, say, take an extra falcon instead of the nightspinner to give 'drad a ride that isn't automatically one of the most important targets your opponent has. Or you could give the falcons chincannons. Or something.

The math for going Fire Prism happy is a bit less demanding, since you don't need Holo's for 'em. Having them cost 125 (you'll want to buy a chincannon for 'em, but that's about it) means that they're significantly cheaper than anything else you'd normally put into another heavy FOC slot.

That being said, I have a very polarized view of what a competitive list should be. Fire Dragons are your bread and butter, Dire Avenger are mainly objective holders, Eldrad is amazing (yay!), and extra upgrades for things is looked at suspiciously and forced to explain why it's necessary or else it's cut. If you don't want to make that radical of a change that's cool, and we'll still work with you on that. But you did say this is going to a tourney, so I replied accordingly. ;)

edit: One more disclaimer on the rigidness of my point of view: The night spinner is, sadly, jank. The gun has been improved, sure. The model is a triumph, in my opinion. But... the rules. Yuck. It's not particularly worth 115 points in a mech environment BEFORE you consider the fact that it eats a heavy FOC slot. It's competing with Fire Prisms and Falcons. While it DOES do something that Prisms don't (ie, it doesn't have a hidden rule that says "take a pair if you're going to take any), but for 5 more points than a single naked one you could get 2 warwalkers in their sexiest configuration, have a transport killing unit with scouting and do about as much to hordes. If it was fast attack it might belong in bigger games. Since it's heavy, it's crap. Sorry GW, fail less. We have a practically empty fast attack slot. If you want us to get much use out of things then they need to not force you to avoid the strengths of the codex.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feed back guys, I ended up getting middle placement with that list, got shot to death by a chimmera/vendeta heavy ig army. It was nice, when i needed to, move my whole army two feet in one turn and see my opponent "rearange" his over two turns. The amount of confusion and irritation in my oppnents' was priceless. Besides being fully mech, this is one of my favorite lists right now. I did end up going against a monolith; epic fail on my part, but as ussually I just went after the warriors and destroyers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts