Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have just started collecting CSM and really like the fluff of the Thousand Sons way more than any of the other cult troops. I realize that they arent the most competitive but was hoping to put togeather a force that would be workable with just the sons as troops.

So far I have three 8 man squads with three sorcerers. For heavy support i have 9 Obliterators, and was thinking about running Ahramin as my HQ. What would I need to do besides getting transports to make this army semi accpetable? I figure right now i would have ranged AT covered with 9 oblitz, and the Sons would handle enemy Meq but i feel like this just wouldnt be mobile enough to fight effectivly. Close combat looks like a problem too, so i was thinking maybe a Daemon Prince? I'm really lost as I ve played guard forever and every CSM list ive ever played has had plague marines and berserkers no sons.

Anyway, any help about what to take for about a 1500 list or even a 2k would be appriciated.

Thank you in advance!

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Solid framework. Build the list around Dreadnoughts with Missile Launchers/Lascannons, Thousand Sons in Rhinos with Bolt of Change Sorcerors, and Obliterators, and you won't go too far wrong. It won't be a spectacular list, by any means, as anti-tank is harder to get without Meltaguns, but it should do fairly well against most FLGS armies.

A Daemon Prince with Bolt of Change, Wings and Mark of Tzeentch is probably the best Tzeentchy HQ for this points level, but Ahriman can be squeezed in. He's pretty terrible, his primary use being shooting off BS 5 Bolts of Change and casting Gift of Chaos a bunch of times.

Midnight

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personally, I've been getting into "nine-thousand" sons myself recently, and I've seen some guys do wonders with a defiler. I personally suggest a vindicator with melta/cannon, Maybe three obliterators, two or three squads of nine-thousand sons (9k because 9 troops, and a sorceror to be the captain). I suggest looking into a daemon prince, and maybe slap mark of tzeench along with two psychic powers( Me prefering winds of chaos and gift of chaos, lash of submission is always nice for those who are assulting with power weapons/to get someone out of cover for the squad of 9k sons to destroy). It's totally up to you on how you want troop comp to work, but you are also going to want rhinos to transport your 9k sons so they don't get ripped apart( I suggest putting meltas on them aswell). It's totally up to you, you may try a squad of 10 plaque marines for the extra "umff" for your army, and feel no pain is always nice. I had thoughts about putting a mark of Nurgle onto my daemon prince just so that he could be in line to help take out horde armys and so on. I'm just going to point out afew weaknesses to the thousand sons which I have seen so far; they are a totally strange and aquard army to flight against, and say that you are playing against the horribly broken army of grey knights or some crazy tier 1 army comp. 9k sons aren't a tier 1 army, but they are REALLY fun in friendly games that aren't really contests. 9k sons should always try to stay in cover as much as possible. This is because yes, their 4+ invu save is nice and all, but a cover save is also lovely, adds more fluff (MOAR FLUFF!!!) and it means that you can hold objectives better than most other armys. 9k sons major weakness is multiple attacks, because when the oppising team is running something nasty like a trillion gaunts or ork boyz (if their ballistic is decent), they will have a ton of shots which may prove deadly to your 9k sons.

I love the army myself and yes, I know that alot of people do use plaque marines and zerkers to go out and wreck other armies, but 9k sons is an army mainly for those who like a tactical fight with lots of range, destruction, and LOL AP 3 BOLTERS.

This is just my two cents on 9k sons. Hope that some of this will prove useful.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much, I have just gotten two rhinos (just one to go) for them and converted a dread to carry tl lascannons. Probably going to work in a prince as an HQ or maybe a lord, i really like the lord in termi armor model.

Oh I was also wondering how useful predators are? Coming from playing guard somthing just dosent feel right about not having a battle tank or two to back up my footmen.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Predators are so-so, because they take away from your Obliterator allowance (by the way, an awesome way to do Thousand Sons Obliterators is with Sorcerors in Terminator Armour. The different weapons are different spells). If you want one, take it with Heavy Bolters and, points-allowing, a Havoc Launcher. It does a fair job of hurting hordes from 36" away, and if you've got many bandwagon players around it must be said that the Predator is very, very nice for removing Necron Warriors.

Midnight

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
TS Predators are really only good for knocking out transports to allow your bolter marines to blast passengers, otherwise there are better options available eg dreads, even defilers. (Yes I like defilers, sorry Midnight)

Sons / chaos don't really need any armour, but a predator can help distract your opponent shooting at your relatively more valuable rhinos.

Honestly I think 9 obliterators can be consider overkill in many lists

The prince is the best generic HQ in the chaos list, so take him, load him with WoC and BoT and go tank hunting, Bolt will pop most tanks if you strike the rear armour and wind can wipe a tightly packed squad. not to mention you then have a MC that can be nasty.

I would steer clear of the Termi lord or Sorc unless you take a bodyguard, they can't ride in a rhino so that means he either has to walk everywhere, which is not a great idea or you need a land raider

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm I'm a bit worried about ranged AT, thats the main reason i was thinking of the Predators over the Obliterators... I just finished a lascannon dread too though. Definatly like the Idea of the Prince jumping around playing Godzilla though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah but the Preds look so cool... they re so cheap too next to ig tanks. Alas I shall trust in your wisdom and get a few obliterators. My friend is offering to sell me a land raider for like $20 so should i pick that up and pack a termi squad with a lord in there?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
There is a reason why the predator is cheap......

I wouldn't use the generic GW Obliterators for TS, they don't fit the fluff or the look of rest of the army at all. Either get the old or the current termi lord models instead, they look so much better. I use the old metal lords as count as Arch-Sorcerers.

TS armies are small for their points so unless your playing a high point game leave the termis and raider off your list. Depending on condition it could be a good price to add to the collection though and be a nice addition to higher point games

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the oblit models dont really fit, that was one of the reasons I was trying to get around using them. I ll probably get the raider and use it more for a centerpiece for my force rather than to play.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Throwing my 2 cents in here.

9 oblits is alot, I have 6 at 1850 and they serve me well for AT early game and it saves me some comp score. As mentioned, if you like the chaos termie sorc box, use them as count as 1kson obliterators. I did it, they look awesome and you get so many good bits to use elsewhere all for the same price as the fugley metal piles of dumb GW calls an obliterator. I also have a twin las/ML dread for the sole purpose of hunting down big armor threats, and eat some AT in return to buy the rhinos some time. Relatively cheap and with the FAQ has the potential to really be a threat. Don't use bolt of change. It's over costed and you dont want your 300 pt squad firing 1 str 8 shot. Use doombolt. It's cheap and it bolsters what your 1ksons should already be doing, shooting mEQ.

As far as princes and their loadout, it's really a matter of preference. I for once have broke down and used 2 lash princes. Blasphemy, right? It's all magic, as long as you paint them blue and call it +1 initative instead of mark of slaneesh it's still 'fluffy'. The benefits of lash are absolutely essential to even play a full 1k son list. You can buy your expensive squads more time by throwing assault troops away, you can rip people off objectives. The most important and often over looked (besides dumping plasma death ontop of grouped enemies from your obliterators) is grabbing a squad and pulling them out of cover so your ap3 does a big number on them. I've noticed a huge change in performance when switching to lash from MoT/warptime pre FAQ.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everybody for the tips, thus far i have this as my basic set up

HQ- Daemon Prince
Wings
Lash
Warptime

Sorceror (goes with one of the TSon Squads)
Doom Bolt
Bolt of Change

Troops 8 Rubric Marines
Sorceror
Doombolt

8 Rubric Marines
Sorceror
Doombolt
Rhino

8 Rubric Marines
Sorceror
Doombolt
Rhino

Elite Dread
Lascannon CCW

Dread
Lascannon CCW

Heavy Support

Oblitx2

Oblitx2

Oblitx2

I figure that the Lash DP (as un fluffy as that is) would be good for keeping back horde enemies like orks or bugs trying to swarm my rubric marines. The Sorceror will go with one of the two Squads moving up blasting enemy troops on objectives and keeping his force weapon ready to cut down MC s. The two Dreads would camp my objective with the dismounted Son squad one on each side. That way even if they derp out then they would hit a son who had an invulnerable save against their Lascannons. They have the CCW to discourage things assulting my Objective holding troops.

How does that seem thus far?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Sorceror (goes with one of the TSon Squads)
Doom Bolt
Bolt of Change
Not going to be worth his points unfortunately. Make him a foot lash machine or another DP. To keep with the fluff, I suggest a lash sorc in with your tsons.

Troops 8 Rubric Marines
Sorceror
Doombolt
I cant condone tsons not having a ride, even if they are sitting on a home objective (which is a terribly costly unit to be doing so) but I can see your logic.

The two Dreads would camp my objective with the dismounted Son squad one on each side. That way even if they derp out then they would hit a son who had an invulnerable save against their Lascannons. They have the CCW to discourage things assulting my Objective holding troops.
With the FAQ, the dreads cant afford to be in the back field. You have them both equipped with DCCW so they need to be advancing on the flanks or up the middle but in front. As long as they dont have any of your units within their 45 front arc they will double tap the enemy.

Im at work so I can't work out the points, but putting those cheap meltabombs in with your sons is worth the investment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I completely agree with Ravener...although I would never have considered a lash prince for a Tsons army!

You've said 1500...but looks like you're actually working on 2000? I've never been a fan of the dreads but it could make for an interesting list :) I always use chosen with melta if playing competitively...

assuming you're building a 2000 pt list run double prince or none at all -1 will get shot down before he can be useful.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I recently got a good deal on some princes and dreads so I ve been trying to work in my new additions :) Might try and cram in three dreads, two princes, and my t sons. Would a summoned Greater Daemon be useful here? I have to take the sorcerors anyway and with 3 son squads i would be able to put him where he was needed. Also might discourage things trying to get hand to hand with my troops?

I have never fielded dreads before, but bs4 lascannons should be useful for dealing with things at range. I ll have to see just how annoying crazed is haha

Anyway any remaining points would be spent on obliterators (disguised as terminator sorcerors)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Would a summoned Greater Daemon be useful here? I have to take the sorcerors anyway and with 3 son squads i would be able to put him where he was needed. Also might discourage things trying to get hand to hand with my troops?
Not if youre running nothing but rhubrics. You have to sacrifice a 70ish point squad leader to bring him out, and you lose your 2d6 movement if the sorcerer is removed. You'll have to rely on severely weakening assault units with shooting for your princes to mop up. Using relentless to 'kite' and your rhinos to redeploy will buy you some time along with lashing things away.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just want to chip my bit in seeing as I play 1k sons..Troops in rhino's + bolt of change + demon prince (lash is cheesy but it keeps enemy units away from your troops) + oblits...fairly all round set-up. Won't blow minds (maybe the aspiring sorcerer will) but can deal with a whole range of opponents.

Peace.

*edit* if you can make room for a greater demon, he's useful in certain situations, like when scary CC units get too close to a bunch of troops and you feel the need to start evening odds. lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts