Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! First try at a Steel Host list. I'm sure it's no good, but I'm mostly a marine player with a love for tanks so I wanted to take a stab at it. It definitely needs some tough love to get where it needs to be so let the constructive criticisms fly! I've got a good bit of wiggle room with upgrades to move points around.

*I went ahead and did an edit to remove the first list I came up with because I feel this version is infinitely better*

Steel Host
260 Pask (Punisher, HB, HB Spons, Camo, ExArmor, Dozer)
205 Executioner (HB, Plas Spons, Camo, Dozer)

205 Executioner (HB, Plas Spons, Camo, Dozer)

170 Demolisher (HB)

140 Eradicator (HB, HB Spons)

70 Hydra (HF)

Stormwing
200 Stormraven (TLMM, TLLC)
125 Stormtalon (Skyhammer)
125 Stormtalon (Skyhammer)

=1500

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like the tank company feel to this list, I personally love themed lists.

I can't really comment on the space marine flyers as im not familiar with them but, they seem to address the slight problem with no reliable turn 1 ranged av 13/14 anti tank on the ground. This could be helped out by taking a paskquiser, but this is more personal taste, pusher pask is very good.

The set up of all the lemans seems optimal apart from the dozer blades, extra armour and camo. I find that the points are better spent on models, guard dont really benefit from lots of upgrades. By dropping the dozer blades (which if your sitting back to fire all your weapons you wont need) and the extra armour gives you 25 pts to give the exerminators hull lascannons. If you drop the camo as well you get enough points to buy a wyvern or upgrade the eradicator to a exterminator with plasma spons, that is more use on the table than the upgrades.

Most of this is personal preference, it is a strong list that should hold up well

Donkey

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The issue I had when making this list was I was stuck to the Steel Host formation of Tank Commander, 3 Russ squadrons, and a single Hydra. I'd trade the hydra for a wyvern any day of the week, but to bring one I'd have to bring at least an allied detachment of guard. I was trying to go zero infantry.

When running this list (speaking of the 2nd as in my opinion it's way better) I have to bring my units in chunks of 120-170 points. I took the camo on the more expensive tanks not only to use up extra points, but make my already tough tanks even more survivable against Las, Melta, and Haywire shots. My smoke launchers become a 4+ save while I'm getting into position, 3+ during night fighting. If I'm obscured, using my dozer blades to make it easier, I should get a 3+/2+ on my AV14 tank. Psyuck it grey knights!

Of course my Demolisher didn't get any upgrades due to the Ordnance rule and the fact that it's pretty much a 170 point fire magnet as is. I took the extra armor on Pask so that if I suffer a pen, I have a 50% chance that it'll just be a hull point and snap shots... on 29 preferred enemy shots! Not bad for the cost of two guardsmen. Especially since my super short range gatling cannon really needs to keep moving every turn.

My thought process was Pask and the Executioner can actually fill similar roles. All those rending shots and the reliable plasma blasts are great at killing everything but high AV. I generally play against Eldar, DE, Nids, Crons, and Orks. Luckily the orks run green tide or trukks so Necrons end up with the highest AV value with their Ghost Arks. And of course I can always split my fire with tank orders.

I can also use tank orders to close the distance quickly, or I could move slow and pop smoke turn one. Even if I move flat out with Pask the other plasmacutioner should be able to keep inside the preferred enemy bubble Pask is pushing out.

The demolisher is scary! I plan to just be recklessly aggressive with it and draw fire from my true threats, the cutioners and pask. The eradicator just eradicates because any CC spells doom for my list. I want infantry turned to dust. Especially jetbikes.

The hydra is a tax. I paid it. I can see uses by making FMCs jink or holding a back objective for the first part of the game.

Flyers! I wanted Vendettas, but couldn't really make it work. So first thought was the all Las formation, but the Skyhammer is great for the points. Hopefully at least 4 of my tanks survive turn two and see these guys come in to save the day. For that matter, I hope my flyers come in turn two! I hate that my best anti-tank units have to come in turn 2/3. I forsee several occasions where I'll be taking objectives with hovering flyers just to break even on the scoreboard.

I really didn't mean for this quick reply to turn into a "Tactica Written by Complete Newbie", I just wanted to explain my thought processes so you can tell me which ideas are dumb and which ones might work.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So two test games down. Both against razorspam armies. The first was against the "unbeaten iron hands" list over in the Space Marine army list entries. The other was a Las/Plas Space Wolf with melta running 9 razorbacks, 6 Grey Hunter squads with meltas, and 3 long fang squads with dual plasmacannons.

The Camo Netting has paid for itself time and time again! These tanks are tough! In five game turns I only lost the Demolisher completely against the Iron Hands. I lucked up and got night fighting on both battles. Not the greatest, but I had plenty of cover. Those dozer blades really weren't much of a factor though.

Space wolves faired a little better. Their plasmas were useless, but he had good rolls on his lascannons. The melta really didn't hit as hard as I would have thought. He only caused one glance and a pen in the few turns they survived. His crack grenades also failed to hurt my AV11 but did get one glance on the Eradicator.

The weak part of the list is actually the Stormwing. Even with strafing run hitting their tanks on 2s those skyhammer missiles and assault cannons didn't do much against their razorbacks. Even less the one time I used it against infantry. I also NEED some kind or reserves manipulation. Since all three flyers come in on a single roll it becomes a big gamble that so far hasn't paid off. Game one they had to auto-arrive on turn 4 and the second game I got them on turn 3. Not fun missing a 3rd of my army for half the game. Luckily those tanks are resilient enough to go the distance.

The Pask Punisher is definitely the all star of the list. BS4, Rending, Preferred Enemy and rerolls on armor penetration makes this thing kill whatever it's facing. There was only once that it didn't completely kill what it was pointed at. Even still it took 2 hull points off of a 50% obstructed razorback. He did manage to fail his tank orders about 3 times between two games.

The Executioners were also amazing. With the Preferred Enemy buff I only glanced myself once in two games running a pair of these firing every turn.

I used my Hydra like a rhino. Screening my Punisher with it, moving it out of the way in the movement phase, then putting it back by going flat out at the end of the shooting phase. The space wolves killed it turn 3 when they saw what I was doing, but game one it played perfect.

My Demolisher was pretty much the first to go both games. It took Iron Hands 4 turns to do it somehow and SW killed it in 2. But that's what it was supposed to do.

My Eradicator didn't eradicate much. I think the blast template may have cause a single unsaved wound in both games. Thank god I took triple heavy bolters. They could at least cause a few wounds and finish out those razorbacks after a plasmacutioner left a hull point behind. I can't wait to try this tank out against a xenos army to see how well it shines.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Even with strafing run hitting their tanks on 2s those skyhammer missiles and assault cannons didn't do much against their razorbacks.
S7 is OK at best for stripping off Hull Points, S6 is borderline totally useless. Use the Lascannons on your 'Talons and you'll do a heck of a lot better. I find with Space Marines because they just don't always have the models to amass the necessary wall of fire to wreck things you have to be surgical with your shots: high powered and highly effective.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Eradicator with S6 Ignores Cover AP4 is vital against hordes. Killing on 2's with a blast is brilliant. While it may not make its points back against a horde (6pt models don't rack up that quickly despite upwards of 5 dying each turn), it is useful for controlling where that horde goes (as hordes work by having numbers, they don't want to lose their numbers). In regards to Marines, they not only have armour, but also a 3+ Save. If they're not running Scouts, they're going to be "making do" with their targeting.

It depends on your meta, honestly.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. I'm def going to want those lascannons again. They'll actually pose a threat to flyers and FMCs as well forcing jinks. I just see winged tyrants laughing at AP4 and Vendettas giving the middle finger to S7. I need 30 more points but really don't want to give up my camo. I may go one and one and mix Skyhammer and TLLC talons by dropping the dozer blades.

And I can not wait to throw eradicator plates and 9 heavy bolter rounds into a mob of boyz or flock of gaunts! If that won't kill them, Pask has enough hate spewing from his barrels to make up the difference. Even the plasma shots will work in a pinch.

I can see a definite weakness against high AV armies. The mirror match would not go my way at all. Blood angel or other fast assault armies may cause a few issues too. What I really want is reserve rerolls or a +1/-1 or something. I hated not having my flyers come out both games. And finding the points for reserve help is tough enough, but since I'm running 100% formations, I'd have to bring an entire primary detachment to get fortifications with Comms or a 200+ unit of SW terminators from Champions. I guess it's just going to be something I have to deal with and settle for the 67%.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crazy idea. Not sure how it'll work. But to make that Eradicator not a hit/miss what do you guys think of giving it a dual role? He won't be the horde killing badass that I wanted, but if I replace his HB Sponsons with Melta Sponsons at least he'll A) have something constructive to do against Marine armies and B) help ease that pain of having to wait on my air force when I'm failing my reserve roll consecutively.

I also need at least one of those TLLCs on the Talons. Those dozer blades are toast.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I did a rematch against the Iron Hands list and got absolutely owned. I replaced my demolisher with another eradicator and MM sponsons and had TLLCs on both talons.

Lost Pask turn one. That hurt. A lot! One of my plasmacutioners glanced itself do death in a single turn. My reserves actually came in turn 2 and killed more than anything else. My eradicators which already weren't doing much against marine armies couldn't get a melta hit to save their lives without the preferred enemy buff. It was just a painful game of bad dice. Out of 3 objectives it ended as 2-1 for Iron Hands. They only had 4 of those 5 man tactical squads left. I had the Stormraven, two stormtalons both missing a hull point, and a single eradicator with only one hull point left at the end of the game.

So yeah. I'm keeping the demolisher as a fire magnet. Without it, Pask gets all the attention.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here's some input from an IG Tanker familiar with stuff like this, Pask/Executioner is awesome but the flying circus you have there is bullocks, so is the Eradicator. If you want a lot of ignore cover shots go with 2 wyverns. And if you drop that formation all together put in 3 barebones LRBT's. Space marines, xenos, Chaos, they pretty much all turn to melted cheese in front of those things, even the high AV stuff starts to sweat. Just an opinion of course. One can never have enough Leman Russ's.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would still love to field wyverns. Steel Host just doesn't have the slots. I can however pull in some real russ power into this list. That flying formation is great... when it arrives... if it arrives. This list may just have to go as a zero flyer list and rely on the single hydra for support.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts