Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made this list for a friend, one that is powerful and could be used in a tournament (no special characters allowed, seems fair to me)

anyway, here it is:

HQ
• Rune Priest – 100

• Wolf Lord – 205
o Runic Armor
o Frost Weapon
o Belt of Rust
o Saga of the Warrior Born

Troop Choices
• 10 Grey Hunters - 220
o Rhino
o Power Weapon
o 2 Meltaguns

• 10 Grey Hunters - 220
o Rhino
o Power Fist
o 2 Flamers

• 5 Grey Hunters - 140 (wolf lord goes here)
o Razorback
o Rune Priest
o Flamer
o Power weapon

Elites
• 5 Scouts – 140
o Meltagun
o 2 Plasma Pistols
o Meltabombs

• Dreadnaught – 150
o Drop pod
 Deathwind
o Heavy Flamer
o Multi Melta
o Combat Arm

• Dreadnaught – 150
o Drop pod
 Deathwind
o Heavy Flamer
o Multi Melta
o Combat Arm

Heavy Support
• 5 Long Fangs – 135 (rune priest goes here)
o 2 Heavy Bolters
o 2 Lascannons

The basic idea is harass the enemy with the dreads and scouts and fire support from the rune priest and the long fangs while the transports advance and kill stuff on the way.

What do you think? would this be considered competitive? how would it fare against tournament armies? my friend is a bit short on cash ATM so he wants to have 1 list and all the models for it, and nothing else (for now at least)

thanks

+ he now has the battleforce + 1 rune priest + 1 rhino and $100 to get the rest (hopefully should be able to get the 2 dreads for $35 altogether, depends on the seller). What should be his next purchase?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
It wouldn't be considered competitive. It needs a lot of work. If I were you I would suggest to your friend that he look up some of the other 1.5k lists here on heresy and make some changes. Just remember to never put a pf or a pw on gh.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this list will fail against the metagame these days? Can you point out some tactics that you would recommend, I dont know much about space wolves, so any help is appreciated. The advice you have given is very vague, and expects me to learn how the squads would work and work together just by looking at army lists, and I dont really want to learn how to play his army for him. Links to tactica articles would be appreciated.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
iPhone ATM so it's a bit difficult to get a link for you but there is a space wolf tactica in the tactics sections that should get him where he needs to be.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
If the intent is to be competative, then look to maximize your firepower.... Takes lots and make sure it's cheap. Just in your pimped out HQ, you could take a regular HQ and a Typhoon (which gives more firepower)

My sig has my thoughts on listbuilding for marines and it's pretty relevant for SW as well... Also, Ahab put up his TWC list if you want to go that route...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your drop pod doesn't have enough support. Turn 1; one of the dreads is coming in automatically, podding it anywhere near effectiveness is suicide as it has no support from any other unit (i.e. your army will be no where near where that dread is), and if you play it conservative and keep it further back to have support of your army, than there's no point in podding it. Take away the pods you saved yourself 70 useful points.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts