Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a lot of advice from people. Thanks for the help. This is what the final came to. I tried to get a well rounded army that can handle a lot of different situations. The librarian has a jump pack because he will deep strike with my Assault squad.
C&C Please. Final thoughts before i go buy this army? :victory:

Librarian 175 points
Epistolary
Force Dome
The Avenger
Jump Pack

Tactical Squad 225 points
10 man
Flamer
Sergeant
-chainsword
Melta Bombs
Rhino (extra armor)

10 man
Flamer
Sergeant
-chainsword
Melta Bombs
Rhino (extra armor)

Scout Squad 190 points
10 man
Sniper Rifles (All)
Telion

Assault Squad 225 points
10 man
flamer
Power fist

Devastator Squad 230 points
5 man
4 lascannon

Predator 130 points
twin linked lascannon
storm bolter
Extra Armor

Whirlwind 100 points
Extra Armor

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Hey Denied, what are you looking for this list to do? Is this for comp or just for fun. If its just for fun then I think you'll need a bit more anti-tank to make it work. If this is for comp, then I would suggest you go through and trim points to add in more firepower.

For example, get rid of the Epistolary on the Libby. Drop the Whirlwind (it's a cool model, but crap on the table) and drop the scouts (once you combat squad your tacs, you'll have 4 scoring units anyway... the scouts don't really add to it IMO) Think really hard about the Assault Marines too... they're expensive and will be frozen on the table the first turn they get there... what about taking them as Vanguard Vets so they have a chance to assault? It'll cost more, but would make them a more effective unit.

In terms of what to add, I would look at Speeders and Rifleman Dreads

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was having doubts about the assault but wasnt sure. The scout my main idea was having more long range fire. Hmmm. Whirlwind ive been hearing a lot about it being bad. Ill revise and repost here in a bit. (at work)

And its kinda for both comp and fun. I cant afford a seperate army for both lol

·
Registered
281 Posts
I got a lot of advice from people. Thanks for the help. This is what the final came to. I tried to get a well rounded army that can handle a lot of different situations. The librarian has a jump pack because he will deep strike with my Assault squad.
C&C Please. Final thoughts before i go buy this army? :victory:

Librarian 175 points
Epistolary
Force Dome
The Avenger
Jump Pack
-Librarians are fail at CC I'd suggest you take the pack off and find him a ride.
10 man
Flamer
Sergeant
-chainsword
Melta Bombs
Rhino (extra armor)
-Flamers are fine, hook these guys up with a heavy weapon. I'd suggest a multi-melta for both tactical squads.

10 man
Flamer
Sergeant
-chainsword
Melta Bombs
Rhino (extra armor)

Scout Squad 190 points
10 man
Sniper Rifles (All)
Telion
-Drop Telion and split these guys into two squads of five and give them missile launchers. This'll give you flexibility and two backfield scorers instead of one.
Assault Squad 225 points
10 man
flamer
Power fist
-Cool as they are, these guys are a waste for codex marines. They lack scoring status and any dedicated CC unit will wreck them for less points.
Devastator Squad 230 points
5 man
4 lascannon
-Not very point effecient and way too easy to kill off. If you really want these guys I'd suggest a missile launcher load out for them.
Predator 130 points
twin linked lascannon
storm bolter
Extra Armor
-Waste of points, the damage output of a single las pred is too low to justify it being here. I'd turn it into a destructor variant w/las sponsons. Ten points cheaper and it's better at the job.
Whirlwind 100 points
Extra Armor
-Definitely not enough damage output to warrant 100 pts when a destructor pred w/ heavy bolters is 15 pts cheaper and does more damage.

-You should have some extra points with the changes I've suggested and honesty if you like assault squads enough to put a libby w/ them I'd suggest you go Blood Angels.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Its not that i like assault. im brand new to 40k. I got fantasy strategy down but 40k im still learning. Everyone tells me the whirlwind suck. not a single person said something nice about it. So ill drop that and do something. Im working on my list now. il post it up here before i hit the hay

The main problem im having is everyone has their ideas. if i edit towards one persons view another discredits. so i gotta find that happy medium. Eventually im jsut gonna stop when i think id have fun playing it. Since thats what its about after all

Whats a destructor varient?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I decided to get stupid and totally redo my list. (more or less) because this new one seemed super fun to me to play. My only worry. do i have enough anti tank?

Librarian 100 points
Vortex of Doom
The Avenger

Tactical Squad 220 points
10 man
Flamer
Multi-Melta
Sergeant
-chainsword
Rhino (extra armor)

10 man
Flamer
Multi-Melta
Sergeant
-chainsword
Rhino (extra armor)

Scout Squad 75 points
5 man
Sniper Rifles

Scout Squad 75 points
5 man
Sniper Rifles

Terminator Assault Squad 605 points
8 man
Land Raider Redeemer
-extra armor

Venerable Dreadnought 205 points
missle launcher
extra armor
heavy flamer
heavy bolter

·
Registered
281 Posts
I decided to get stupid and totally redo my list. (more or less) because this new one seemed super fun to me to play. My only worry. do i have enough anti tank?

Librarian 100 points
Vortex of Doom
The Avenger
-Much better, drop doom though since it's a heavy and only has a 12" range. If you really want to use the vortex then put him in terminator armor so he can have an 18" threat range.
10 man
Flamer
Multi-Melta
Sergeant
-chainsword
Rhino (extra armor)
-Solid, combi-weapons on sergeants are common in 40k so I'd suggest you try them out in the future.
10 man
Flamer
Multi-Melta
Sergeant
-chainsword
Rhino (extra armor)

Scout Squad 75 points
5 man
Sniper Rifles
-I still believe a missile launcher or even a heavy bolter would work well with these guys.
Scout Squad 75 points
5 man
Sniper Rifles

Terminator Assault Squad 605 points
8 man
Land Raider Redeemer
-extra armor
-Yar! You probably don't need eight of these guys I'd drop three and try to use the points elswhere.
Venerable Dreadnought 205 points
missle launcher
extra armor
heavy flamer
heavy bolter
-This guy's as confused as I am. You've given him long range weapons and then a random heavy flamer. The other issue is you have an anti-tank weapon and anti-infantry weapon mixed together. I'd suggest another variant that has more focus.

Overall, much better than the original list and while a bit lacking in focus and ranged anti-tank it'll allow you to get a better feel for how you want to play your army.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so. I figure the captian i can attached to the term squad. and throw them into the land raider.

Librarian 125 points
Vortex of Doom
The Avenger
Term armor

Captain 150 points
Term armor
Lightning claw

10 man
Flamer
Multi-Melta
Sergeant
-Combi-Melta
Rhino (extra armor)

10 man
Flamer
Multi-Melta
Sergeant
-Combi-Melta
Rhino (extra armor)

Scout Squad 85 points
5 man
Heavy Bolter
Sniper Rifles

Scout Squad 85 points
5 man
Heavy Bolter
Sniper Rifles

Terminator Assault Squad 485 points
5 man
Land Raider Redeemer
-extra armor

Dreadnought 130 points
Twin-Linked Autocannon
Extra Armor

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Hey Denied, alot of your choices will be dictated by play style... But there are some things you need to keep in mind when building a list...

1. How do you deal with Armour?
2. How do you handle unbalanced lists (ie, "deathstar" lists that put a ton of thier points into one uber killy unit)
3. How do you handle horde lists?
4. What is your army good at? How do you highlight it's strengths and minimize it's weaknesses?

*I* think that at 1500 points you should have at least 5-6 really viable threats on the table from turn one. By viable threat, I mean stuff that should wreck your enemy right off the bat. The most common ways to get that are with Preds, dreads, dev squads and speeders. You also need to have the ability to put troops on an objective. And you'll need to get troops to an objective.

For example (and sorry I don't have a pure SM list here) here's what I'm looking at running for my Space Wolves at 1500:

Rune Priest – Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane (110 pts)
1x – 7 Grey Hunters – Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen, Powerfist, Rhino – PMSB (195 pts)
2x – 5 Grey Hunters – Razorback w/ TL Las -- one with Asst Cannon (150 pts)
3x – Rifleman Dread (125 pts)
1x Fast 1x Landspeeder - Typhoon w/ Multi Melta (100 pts)
3x Long Fang pack – 5 Missile Launcher (140 pts)

Threats - So from a threat perspective, I have like 9 units that are a SERIOUS threat. Its a bit overkill on the shooty side, but it's designed to be a fun list and not a tourney list (just got the riflemen from FW) - But it was built off the idea that I needed at least 6 threatening units.

Looking at the latest version of your list.. you don't have enough other stuff to force me to NOT put all my shots into your Termies... So from turn 1 - I would have a clear advantage in firepower. My plan operates around neutralizing that big assault squad - cause you will kill anything in CC... but I'm gonna make you walk for it and we play the game called "everybody shoots at the termies" :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea its a lot harder to make a 40k army than it was to make a fantasy. Freakin confuses the hell outta me. Ill get it eventually but my problem is. I cant really decide where i want my specialty to lie in. shooty. cc. no idea yet...
as far as getting to objectives i was hoping having rhinos and land raiders for the termies and 2 taqs would help with that

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sweet, I only have a few suggestions. Drop the captain and pick up a second double autocannon dread and use the remaining points to give your raider a multi-melta and and spread the rest around however you like.

By the way is your dread a 1x autocannon/CCW variant? This dread is more affective with two autocannons.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i dont know what that means hippo lol. (Still new)
do you mean replace his multi melta for a twin link autocannon and his close combat weapon for a twin link....so that theres 2 twin linked auto cannons?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yep, you got it.

That'll give you some solid tank suppression at 48".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Taking away the captain gave me just enough points to add the second dread and give both of them another set of link autocannons

Librarian 125 points
Vortex of Doom
The Avenger
Term armor

10 man
Flamer
Multi-Melta
Sergeant
-Combi-Melta
Rhino (extra armor)

10 man
Flamer
Multi-Melta
Sergeant
-Combi-Melta
Rhino (extra armor)

Scout Squad 85 points
5 man
Heavy Bolter
Sniper Rifles

Scout Squad 85 points
5 man
Heavy Bolter
Sniper Rifles

Terminator Assault Squad 485 points
5 man
Land Raider Redeemer
-extra armor

Dreadnought 130 points
2x Twin-Linked Autocannon
Extra Armor

Dreadnought 130 points
2x Twin-Linked Autocannon
Extra Armor

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Here's a thought... I'll add comments in next post...

• 1 Space Marine Librarian @ 100 pts (Machine Curse; The Avenger)
  • 10 Marine Tac Squad in Razorback - 245 - Squad takes ML and Flamer - azorback with TL Las or Las/plas - (you'll combat squad them ML in cover on objective, other 5 out to take objectives
  • 2 Rifleman Dreads - 125 each (2x TL autocannon
  • 2 Preds - 120 each (Autocannon and TL las sponsons)
  • 2 Landspeeder Typhoons (w/ ML and Multi Melta) - 100 Points each
  • 9 Man assault squad w/o jump packs + flamer (217 points)... get free rhino upgrade (ie, a ride for your libby) With the extra points I gave the Sgt Twin Lightning claws...

Total Roster Cost: 1497

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like your suggestion because of the many amounts of units but it lacks the bigger power for strong units. I think ill stay with my list as i have it. The onyl thing im questioning on mine now is whether to drop the extra armor on the dreads and put the points somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts