Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i'm a noobie eldar player - been playing marines for a little while, and now want a change.

i really like themed armies, so I'm trying to get something playable that stays very strongly to the saim hann theme (eg. everything a skimmer or on a jetbike)

HQ

Farseer - 130 pts
Jetbike, Fortune Mind War

attached to 3 Warlocks - 150 pts
Jetbikes + 1 enhance

Troops

Guardian Jetbike Squad (7)
+ warlock (jetbike, enhance)
214 pts

214 pts

214 pts

FA

3 Vypers - BL's - 225

Heavy Support

3 frisms - prism cannon - 345

Total

Not happy about the vypers - BS 3 w/BL is bollocks for the cost, but need some anti-tank. would love to give em scatter lasers though! any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Alrighty!

That Farseer actually is costing you 135, as the Farseer's bike is a 5 more expensive than the Warlocks'. He'll need Spirit Stones to cast more than one power in a turn. I'd also see if you can squeeze in a few more Warlocks, possibly 6 altogether. 1 Embolden (helps not break and helps powers go off), 1 Enhance, and 4 Destructor (if you take this power consider Doom over Mind War, it helps with the wounds).

Those are pretty reasonable Jetbike troops as is, but considering your overall lack of S 6+ I would suggest dropping a single Jetbike out of each one to include 2 Shuriken Cannons in each squad. That would net you several more shots to take down Rhinos and such.

Also, even with Enhance these are still just Guardians we are talking about here. Faster, weaker, more expensive Marines. That is all that Enhance makes them. Also, that is alot of points to invest into a squad that is likely to break after 2 wounds. So, I would consider Embolden instead to help make sure they don't break and run.

You could lower the Vypers to Scatter Lasers to help with infantry and light tanks and leave the big ones to the Council and Fire Prisms, or you could leave the Hordes to the Destructor Warlocks, Prisms, and the ShurCan bikes. Either way you have options and either way it could work out fine.

You will likely not be needing 3 Prisms, so consider dropping one if you need the points elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I'd avoid the use of a Fire Pike. That is almost 10 points that only boost one model's effective range a few inches. Instead, it is better just to be sure the squad is closer those few inches by use of a transport. If your transport does go down, then you can probably expect these guys not to get a shot off at all. Fire Dragon Exarchs are almost always overkill, but the really for the price of one with both powers and a fire pike you could almost have 2 more Dragons which will boost your effectiveness much more.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I agree that Enhance on Jetbike squads is utterly useless - you want to be dodging into 12" range, shooting, then using the jetbike move to dodge back 6" again and thereby keeping you out of assault range. That's why I prefer several small units (6 is maximum number of models for me) so that they can all get into range fairly reliably.

For anti-vehicle, I would take a Falcon with 6 Fire dragons inside. It's always served me perfectly fine in my games. 3 Prisms is overkill, so having the Pulse laser +1 weapon is nice for the things that don't need to be hit by the S10 AP1 Prism blast or the Dragons.

And your Fire Prisms need Holofields. Badly.

See Styro's comments about the Seer Council, they're spot on.

If you can juggle the points sufficiently then I think you'll do fine! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice people!

i'll have to rule the fire dragons out - like i said i'm trying to stick to the jetbike/skimmer theme.

my only other issue here is juggling the points. My issues thus far are:

1) cost of the seer council vs effectiveness
is the exorbitant cost of the warlocks worth it? that's a lot of points in a unit...

2) vypers vs prism.
prisms are amazing - tactically i'm fine with 3 given i haven't upgraded them. at all. vypers look cool but will die v easily.

3) are holofields really worth it? 35 pts for slightly less uselessness...

4) shuriken canons for bikes is a great idea but not sure if reducing troops is not. 21 men in 3 scoring units...yikes!

As such have chopped it up a bit:

1 Farseer
Jetbike, MW, fortune 141

Warlocks (5) 275
(embolden,enhance,3x destructor)

4x squads jetbikes(6) 808
+ 1 warlock (embolden)

2 fire prisms 230
no upgrades

Total 1454

with the extra points, can add a warlock (w/out power) or 2 bikes.

to add in 2 vypers (scatterlasers) or an extra fire prism, i could replace the warlocks with a squad of shining spears (5) to go along with the farseer.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I see what you’re trying to do, but TBH, attempting a Jetseer Council at 1500 pts. is difficult as you have to take a large unit that will leave you weak in other areas, and on the other hand as small Council on bikes won’t last, making it ineffective and a points sink.

Drop the Council.

I recommend two Farseers on bikes, with Fortune, Doom, Spirit Stones, and only one having RoWarding to counter enemy psykers. Singing Spears are not a bad idea here.

For Troops, take 2 Jetbike units (as big as you want) with as many Chin Cannons as you want. Add an Embolden Warlock with Singing Spears.

For the rest of your Troops, take two DAVUs: 5 man DA squads with no upgrades in a Serpent with TL BL and maybe a Chin Cannon.

Filling out your list, 3 Walkers with SL is not a bad idea, and then two Prisms with Holofields and again Chin Cannons.

All flat out when you can, always Fortune your bikes. Doom the unit that your bikes will attack and pour all your fire power into it.

Good hunting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts