Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm currently in a state of 40k limbo with my Grey Knights (and the subsequent losses) are sucking the fun right out of the game. However, I still enjoy it so I'm hoping to offload my Grey Knights (check the Trade thread if you, or anyone you know, is interested. Shameless plug) and move onto some Space Marines.

I'm currently debating Salamanders, Imperial Fists and Raven Guard. I know Allies are valuable currently, although this list doesn't utilize any as I'm still figuring out what to use with this.

Here's my first attempt at a Salamanders list, expect to see attempts for the other two at some point.

HQ:
Vulkan He'Stan (190 pts)
Master of the Forge w/ Power Axe, Combi-Flamer (115 pts)

Troops:
10 Marines w/ Meltagun, Multi-Melta, Combi-Melta, Drop Pod (205 pts)

Elites:
Ironclad Dreadnought w/ Heavy Flamer (replacing SB), Drop Pod (180 pts)

Fast Attack:
8 Assault Marines w/ 2 Flamers, Meltabombs, No jump packs, Drop Pod (151 pts)

Stormtalon Gunship w/ Typhoon Missile Launcher (145 pts)

Total: 1,191 pts

*Was writing this up before class, so only cutting it short due to time restraints. This also seems to be the point I reach before I no longer know what to add. Open to suggestions*

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello.

Good job with the list - it has both some competitive and fluffy aspects. I am assuming that both Vulkan and the Master of the Forge will be in the Drop Pod with the Assault Marines for 5 twin-linked flamer templates! The Tactical Squads are good, however the Ironclad is a bit mixed up. It will drop down and fire both a heavy flamer template and a meltagun at a unit of infantry, where only the heavy flamer will really be effective. OR, it will drop down beside a tank, tickle it with the heavy flamer and then blow it up. Single model units such as the Ironclad should have a clear orientation. Since the Ironclad can only take 2 Heavy Flamers, not 2 Meltaguns, anti-infantry would probably suit it best. For the remaining points, I would invest in another Troops choice (I tend to obey the "1 Troops choice per 500 Points" theory), either another squad with Meltas, or a backfield unit of camo scouts or Tactical Marines. Although you have a lot of meltas, you will need some more AP 2 firepower to use against MEQ and TEQ. I would add some grav or plasma Sternguard in a Pod, which may be "unfluffy" but will be very competitive.

Good luck with the list.
Heirophant.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
looks good to me, only change i would make is drop the MOTF and assault marines and replace with heavy flamer sternguard to ride with Vulkan.

A scout unit isn't a bad idea too, and comes with the added bonus of allowing your stormtalon to outflank if needed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the responses. I shall respond in order:

Heirophant: You were correct on the Assault Squad, and I thank you for your insight on the Ironclad. The reason for the outfit was that I could drop it wherever and it'll be effective (hard to botch it with a Heavy Flamer and the Melta is master-crafted with Vulkan). My only beef with the two H. Flamers is that I don't really benefit from the Chapter Tactics, but again, hard to mess up with two of them. If Troops is what I need, then Scouts it is. I'm trying to keep it cheap to spread the points elsewhere, and if I do need more AP 2 then either Grav or Las it is. Las in Dev squads will give me a nice bit of long range, or I can change the TML on the Talon to a Lascannon.

Varakir: You both suggested Sternguard which I like because they were a unit I was considering, I'm just not sure how many to run? However, I'm going to keep the MotF as he is fluffy, apparently a pretty good unit and can set up my Scouts to have a 2+ cover (Bolster Ruins + Camo cloaks in a 4+ piece of terrain) I don't know how you can outflank a Stormtalon though as it's rules say that it cannot be attached to units who arrive via Deep Strike or Outflank. Was it FAQ'd?

Here's filled out to 1500:

HQ:
Vulkan He'Stan (190 pts)

Master of the Forge w/ Power Axe, Combi-Flamer, Melta bombs (120 pts)

Troops:

5 Scouts w/ Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks (70 pts)

Elites:
Ironclad Dreadnought w/ 2x Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod (180 pts)

5 Sternguard w/ 2 Heavy Flamers, 3 Combi-Flamers, Drop Pod (205 pts)

5 Sternguard w/ 2 Grav-Guns, Drop Pod (185 pts)

Fast Attack:
Stormtalon Gunship w/ Typhoon Missile Launcher (145 pts)

Total: 1,500 pts

My only concern is that the Sternguard will just die because of their small number, but this also got me up the ideal 5 drop pods. Turn 1 I can drop in Vulkan and Sternguard and the Ironclad, Turn 2 the Tac squads come in and clean up what survived of my opponent and support what (hopefully) survived of mine. If I switch the Talon from TML to Lascannons (and take the "points fill" melta bombs off the MotF) then I can bring a Combi-Grav to the GravGuard squad. All the Sergeants get to enjoy a Master-Crafted Bolter or something.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'm currently debating Salamanders, Imperial Fists and Raven Guard. I know Allies are valuable currently, although this list doesn't utilize any as I'm still figuring out what to use with this.
Well when you have your Salamanders primary detachment sorted out, I have some lists and discussions here with including Raven Guard as allies...http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145017

They can work quite nicely together I think, with Salamanders podding melta/flaming and Raven Guard scouting in with plasma tacticals and razorbacks...I also just like the fact they both were bonded in blood together after the Drop Site Massacre and have had a deep bond ever since. While the Iron Hands are still in a big grumpy mood about the whole thing and won't talk to either chapter because of Manus getting killed, the RG and Sallies became even closer and just got on with it...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Varakir: You both suggested Sternguard which I like because they were a unit I was considering, I'm just not sure how many to run? However, I'm going to keep the MotF as he is fluffy, apparently a pretty good unit and can set up my Scouts to have a 2+ cover (Bolster Ruins + Camo cloaks in a 4+ piece of terrain) I don't know how you can outflank a Stormtalon though as it's rules say that it cannot be attached to units who arrive via Deep Strike or Outflank. Was it FAQ'd?
Apologies, you are 100% correct. I forget this pretty much every month :grin:

If you really want to take a techmarine have you considered a thunderfire cannon? It's an awesome piece of kit and you can still bolster your scouts. Saves you 20 points as well.

If you're planning to drop your sternguard and dread first i would make 1 unit 5x combi meltas and the other with just the flamers. You'll want the melta on the table as soon as possible to take care of any big armour threats. They are vulnerable as a 5 man squad, but you will have 3 big threats on the table (4 if you take the cannon) so your opponent will have to choose what they want to focus first.

You can include some ap2 with your tactical squads. I like to run multi-melta, plasma gun, combi-plasma in combat squads, then send the plasma guys hunting whilst the MM goes after the objective.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So:
-Master of the Forge w/ Power Axe, Combi-Flamer, Melta Bombs (120 pts)

+Thunderfire Cannon (100 pts), 2 Combi-Gravs (20 pts) for GravGuard

This keeps blasts, and actually would allow me to switch the TML to Lascannons, freeing up 5 pts (Melta bombs someplace) and giving me more AP2.

Thoughts on this switch?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts