1500 total

HQ- Big Mek- 85 pts
W/ Kustom Force Field

HQ- Big Mek- 135 pts
W/ Shok Attack Gun, Boss Pole

Elites- 15 Lootas- 225 pts

Troops- 30x Shoota Boyz with 3 Rokkit Launchers, Nob w/ Power Claw and Boss Pole- 235 pts

Troops- 30x Shoota Boyz with 3 Rokkit Launchers, Nob w/ Power Claw and Boss Pole- 235 pts

Heavy Support- 3x Big Zzap Guns- 115 pts
w/ Runt Herd, 5 extra Crew

Hvy Support- Killa Kan- 45 pts
Grotzooka

I love the new ork 'dex. I know it has loota cheese, but their not that durable, so I don't think they are that unbalanced. The KFF Mek can eprovide a forest for all units within 6", reducing shooting casualties by 1/3, so if I go gunline on an assault army, I can survive their coverng fire. He also can be put with a charging shootas squad to keep them alive to crunch squads. The Shok Attack Mek, well that's a no brainer. Everything from wiping marines off the board to nuking tanks (Land Raiders don't last long against strength 12. There is no strength 12, because it's instant death. Funny to watch eldar skimmers die to it as well.)

I chose the shoota boyz over the slugga+CCW, 1. because they fit the theme better, 2. Because they get more kills by shooting, and almost as many in CC. Not as many attacks, but the enemy is weaker for assault.
This makes them flexible enough to either stand and shoot or run out like maniacs.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
It's certainly an idea. I'm not sure if you'd want a static gunline, shoota boys are good on the march and can still kick butt in CC. The only thing you might worry about is armored vehicles, but all ork lists have trouble with armor 14 at range.

The only change I'd make is maybe have big shootas in one mob and definitely move one of the zzap guns to be by itself. I use this tactic with kannons and a 20 pt. kannon + crew is just not worth wasting your heavy weapons on when the boyz are breathing down your neck. I also think 1 armored vehicle with weak armor is just asking to get plugged by whatever anti-vehicle weaponry your opponent brought. May as well go vehicle-free.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea on separating the zzaps. Never thought of that, though I know that more targets = better. I also think I will switch one squad to big shootas. I just found out how good they were in a recent playtest. As far as the kan, I really just couldn't find anything to fill in those last points. Hard to make an effective unit of orcs with around 50 floater points.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hard to make an effective unit of orcs with around 50 floater points.
You could beef up the big mek with the force field to be an effective ranged or cc combatant (kustom mega-blasta, burna-it's a power wepaon and a flamer!, or power klaw) or take a deffkopta with a twin-linked rokkit launcha for tank hunting. You'll have to try to keep it in cover but at least it has the speed to keep itself a little safer. Granted only by a margin, but if you're good about it you may be able to use speed boosts to work it around behind some tanks.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I think this might work well but you may want to consider cutting the shoota mobs from one 30 man strong mob into 2 15 man mobs so that you can take additional special weapons and Nobs as this will probably use up those points you had left over.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I think this might work well but you may want to consider cutting the shoota mobs from one 30 man strong mob into 2 15 man mobs so that you can take additional special weapons and Nobs as this will probably use up those points you had left over.
Ork special weapons don't work that way (you get 1 for every 10 boyz in the mob). You could get some more nobs though, so maybe 3 20-man mobs and 1 30 would be a good route to go instead of 3 30. Same number of orks but an extra nob and an extra squad to run off and do things with. In exchange, you'd lose your fearlessness quicker in each mob.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not a good idea IMHO. 30 man orcs are durable through numbers, and stay fearless. 15 man squads cut and run after a few bolter shots. Plus I love the look on my opponents face when they realize they are never stopping that rolling ball of green. And in a 15 man squad, you have 1 special shooting weapon. You need mass volume for orcs. Even if I filled 6 troops choices, I'd have less special weapons that I have now.

And Nob squad seem like a waste of points to me. They're normal orcs that cost alot more, are better at close combat, and die just as easy. When you're wading through fire like foot slogger orcs have to, you need numbers. You get that with cheap, effective, numerous boyz.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. I just realized how many points I went over by. And alot of the points listed are wrong. Wow. Teach me to make lists while I'm tired.

Anyway, a version 2.0 that isn't horribly done and includes a litter more versatility.

1499 total

HQ- Big Mek- 85 pts
W/ Kustom Force Field

HQ- Big Mek- 100 pts
W/ Shok Attack Gun, Boss Pole

Elites- 15 Kommandos- 265 pts
2 Burnas, Boss Snikrot

Troops- 30x Shoota Boyz with 3 Big Shootas, Nob w/ Power Claw- 235 pts

Troops- 30x Shoota Boyz with 3 Big Shootas, Nob w/ Power Claw- 235 pts

Heavy Support- Zzap Gun- 43 points
1 extra grot, Runt Herd

1 extra grot, Runt Herd

1 extra grot, Runt Herd

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
:eek:k: Pretty solid if you ask me. I've been working on a footslogging ork list much like that one. I have kannons instead of Zzap guns, which essentially means that I'll never penetrate armor 14 stuff, but I see that as purely a player preference. I've also got a little more melee focus with some warbikers and whatnot, but the list is similar. I may have to drop my warphead for a big mek with forcefield. I'm not sure the lulz gained from the weirdboy's antics can offset a 5+ cover save for my slow boyz. If that happens I'll definitely drop my 3 mobs of 20 into 2 mobs of 30 so they can have the mek between them to share the forcefield.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts