Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's taken me a few months but I've settled on a force to play, going with Iron Hands SM. I'd like to know if this list is in any way competitive. Also if there's anything that should or shouldn't be included I'd like to know that too. So far the MotF is in a Rhino with the Sternguard but I did consider going with 3 drop pods (for the Ironclad, Sternguard, and 1 Tac Squad) but as this will be the first list I'll actually be playing (maybe a different version) I shied away from it, not sure if it would have left enough on the table to start. As far as tactics all I've got is dropping the Ironclad in the opposing backfield and have the MotF ready to make some repairs.

Iron Hands Chapter Tactics

HQ
Master of the Forge
90 pts.

ELITES
Ironclad Dreadnought x1 -dreadnought power fist, seismic hammer, drop pod
Sternguard -9 veterans, 6x combi-melta, 2x heavy flamer, Rhino
493 pts.

TROOPS
Tactical Squad -10 marines, 1x plasma cannon, Rhino
Tactical Squad -10 marines, 1x plasma cannon, Rhino
380 pts.

FAST ATTACK
Stormtalon Gunship -Skyhammer missiles, TL assault cannon
Stormtalon Gunship -Skyhammer missiles, TL assault cannon
250 pts.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Predator -lascannons, TL lascannons
Predator -lascannons, TL lascannons
280 pts.

1493 pts. total

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Drop pods are a great way to introduce your Sternguard and Dreadnoughts, proxy them for a few games and see how you like it before you make the decision.

However if you do take Drop Pods you are negating some of the Benefits of Iron Hand's Chapter Tactics (IWND) as well as losing some mobility for an alternate deploying method. I do like Drop Podded Dreadnoughts as you can land them close to the enemy and unleash a lot of pain (and what's not to like about Regenerating Dreads?) if you do take them give one tactical squad long ranged weapons and keep them as a backfield sitter and drop the pod empty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
However if you do take Drop Pods you are negating some of the Benefits of Iron Hand's Chapter Tactics (IWND) as well as losing some mobility for an alternate deploying method. I do like Drop Podded Dreadnoughts as you can land them close to the enemy and unleash a lot of pain (and what's not to like about Regenerating Dreads?) if you do take them give one tactical squad long ranged weapons and keep them as a backfield sitter and drop the pod empty.
Yeah the chapter tactics are something I'm paying attention to. The Ironclad will be in a drop pod for the same reasons you mentioned. Your advice on the tactical squad is something I had not considered, thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts