Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys (and girls),

I've recently discovered Vassal40k and as such was able to test the game with a friend who is actively playing 40k tabletop every week. We already played a few rounds with just killpoints and as such I know the basic rules of the game.

Now I'm trying to find an army, that suits me and is also diverse enough to hold a candle against most threats... As of now I think I really like playing Chaos and as such would like to test out some army compositions before committing to buying the actual models xD

Following is my first attempt at a CSM Army and every feedback and/or advise is greatly appreciated.

Btw: I already bought the core rulebook for the 6th edition and am currently in possession of a chaos codex (courtesy of my friend)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HQ
---
Abaddon the Despoiler (265pts)
Champion of Chaos, Eternal Warrior, Fearless, Independent Character, Mark of Chaos Ascendant, Veterans of the Long War, Warlord Traits: Black Crusader

Elites
-----
Chaos Terminators (510pts)
Deep Strike
Heavy Flamer, Icon of Excess, Mark of Slaanesh
Chaos Land Raider (dedicated Transport)
Combi-Bolter, Warpflame gargoyles
Terminator
Powerfist
Terminator
Chainfist
Terminator
Powerfist
Terminator
Chainfist
Terminator Champion
Chainfist, Combi Bolter

Troops
-------
Chosen (Troops) (205pts)
Lascannon, 4x Replace boltgun w/ Plasma gun
5x Chosen
5x Mark of Nurgle
Chosen Champion
Champion of Chaos
Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Melta Bomb, Plasma Pistol

Chosen (Troops) (205pts)
Lascannon, 4x Replace boltgun w/ Plasma gun
5x Chosen
5x Mark of Nurgle
Chosen Champion
Champion of Chaos
Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Melta Bomb, Plasma Pistol

Fast Attack
-----------

Heldrake (170pts)
Daemon, Daemonforge, It Will Not Die, Meteroric Descent
Baleflamer

Heavy Support
--------------

Chaos Predator (145pts)
Lascannons, Twin-Linked Lascannon, Warpflame gargoyles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts thus far were that I would put the HQ together with the Terminators in the Land Raider and let them roll towards the enemies forces as soon as possible to overwhelm him and soak up some fire.
The Chaos Predator will give long range firing support while my Heldrake takes out clusters of Ap3 enemies...

The Chosen Squads with Plasma guns should be able to inflict heavy wounds on most units, while the Predator's Lascannons and the Terminator's melees take out heavier armed tanks.

Abaddon inside the Terminator unit should be nigh unkillable with +2 Armor Save and +4 invulnerable Save together with Feel no Pain from the Icon of Excess, right? (Especially since he cannot be one shot, thanks to his special rule)

What am I missing? The roster seems like having really few units, is that going to be a problem?

Your thoughts please :)

Thanks in advance, your new forum member,
Overload

·
Registered
33 Posts
This list was sought of confusing to me because I am not sure if those infanfty units are at full strength or half strength which means maximum models or half maximum models. So do the Terminators have 10 models and chosen have 10 models or is it less I'd like a confirmation on that. But with the 8 plasma guns is a very risky method with so many plasma bolts firing around some are bound to over heat and kill you.

This army seems pretty strong in my opinion but may end up losing to swarm armies and very Tanky guard armies they can potentially bog you down. But I think you will find the Plasma guns will do the most damage overall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This list was sought of confusing to me because I am not sure if those infanfty units are at full strength or half strength which means maximum models or half maximum models. So do the Terminators have 10 models and chosen have 10 models or is it less I'd like a confirmation on that. But with the 8 plasma guns is a very risky method with so many plasma bolts firing around some are bound to over heat and kill you.

This army seems pretty strong in my opinion but may end up losing to swarm armies and very Tanky guard armies they can potentially bog you down. But I think you will find the Plasma guns will do the most damage overall.
If I understand correctly you are asking what the maximum numbers of the squads could be and what I used, yes? I've had a chance to try out this army against my friend and you are very correct in regard to the plasma weapons taking their toll on my units xD

I had to make a slight adjustment in deploying and took 3 Terminators + 1 Champion and put Abaddon inside the Land Raider with them. The maximum number allowed for terminators would be 1 Champ + 9 normal Terminators i think, but only 5 (including abaddon) can fit in the dedicated land raider...

The chosen are at half strength each, for their ability to move seperated and therefor secure 2 objectives under the guard of the rest of the army.

For anyone interested in some details:
-------------------------------------
Abaddons unit ended up driving to their destination for far too long, one chosen squad died in the first round (2 due to overheating weapons, rest killed by opposing army)

My army was very strong and bested my friend's in the end, but I almost lost to him, because I didn't have troops left to secure objectives... I won by denying his 2 objectives (having none of my own) and first blood... The final score was First blood and killed his HQ, no objectives (2 pts) versus him killing my HQ and having no objectives (1 pt) :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
few points where there are wasted points:

1. MOS on ur Termies is great with FNP but u've give them all fists and chainfists meaning they loose their Initiative bonus? try lightning claws/free swords or axes if u still want to keep AP2 instead, abbaddon can deal out like 10 odd ap2 at Initiative 6 wounds so u dont need them. thats about 50pts saved right there.

2. Warpflame gargoyles? not points efficent enough really. drop them all.

3. Predator doesnt need the top Lascannon, it makes it too expencive, an autocannon does well enough and is free.

with the saved points and just taking 4 plasma and nurgle in each chosen squad i recon uve got 200 odd points left to spend. I would recommend pumping ur chosen upto 8 man squads and giving each squad a rhino.

HQ:
Abbaddon - 265pts

Elite:
Terminator Squad - 192pts
+ 1x Additional Terminator
+ Hvy Flamer
+ Marks of Slaanesh
+ Icon of Excess

Troops:
Chosen - 228pts
+ 3x Additional Chosen
+ 4x Plasmaguns
+ Marks of Nurgle

Rhino - 35pts

Chosen - 228pts
+ 3x Additional Chosen
+ 4x Plasmaguns
+ Marks of Nurgle

Rhino - 35pts

Fast:
Heldrake - 170pts
+ Baleflamer

Heavy:
Predator - 115pts
+ Side Lascannon Sponsons

Chaos Land Raider - 230pts

Totals 1498pts and would do pretty well as an abbaddon chosen list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot Duskan, your suggestions make a lot of sense ^^ I will try this list on the next ocassion! Just one quick question remains... Is an Autocannon on the Predator really worthwhile, because I have to fire all of my weapons on the same target it seemed like it would be wasted on hitting anything with 3+ save or better... or do I misinterpret the role of my tank and just use it against enemy tanks, not really against infantry?

Also, what do I do against enemy flyers here? Vectorstrike them with my Heldrake, ignore them or really shoot at them with the chosen and hope for hit rolls?

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
430 Posts
the top lascannon is just a terrible point sink for one less shot and a higher str and AP. the Role of ur Pred should be AT, if u want anti hvy infantry, take another heldrake or allies soulgrinder with phlebm.

againts flyers u have:
- predator (4 shots isnt too bad)
- Land Raider (2 twinlinked lascannons)
- Heldrake (d3+1 str 7 hits on side armour will at least glance most flyers to death)

If you are that worried again allied soulgrinder as it has a 3 shot auotcannon with skyfire OR take a hades autocannon on ur Heldrake, vector striking over a flyer then as ur gun is 360 degrees u can then blast the flyer in rear armour with 4 str 8 shots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts