Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a game with a friend of mine on Saturday, he plays Tyranids and I have never been able to beat him!!! ([email protected])

Can you please assist with my army list? I think it's pretty solid, straight from Army Builder. (THis post is within the rules right? )

1500 Pts - Chaos Marines Roster

1 Daemon Prince @ 160 pts ((C:CSM, pp. 32 & 92); Unit Type: Monstrous Creature; Mark of Nurgle; Close Combat Weapon; Eternal Warrior; Fearless; Psyker; Wind of Chaos x1)

8 Plague Marines @ 262 pts ((C:CSM, pp. 38 & 97); Unit Type: Infantry; Blight Grenades; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Mark of Nurgle; Bolt Pistol x8; Bolter x6; Close Combat Weapon x8; Meltagun x1; Plasmagun x1; Fearless; Feel No Pain)
1 Plague Champion ((C:CSM, pp. 38 & 97); Unit Type: Infantry; Blight Grenades; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Mark of Nurgle; Bolt Pistol; Bolter; Power Weapon; Fearless; Feel No Pain)

8 Plague Marines @ 297 pts ((C:CSM, pp. 38 & 97); Unit Type: Infantry; Blight Grenades; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Mark of Nurgle; Bolt Pistol x8; Bolter x6; Close Combat Weapon x8; Meltagun x1; Plasmagun x1; Fearless; Feel No Pain; Rhino)
1 Plague Champion ((C:CSM, pp. 38 & 97); Unit Type: Infantry; Blight Grenades; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Mark of Nurgle; Bolt Pistol; Bolter; Power Weapon; Fearless; Feel No Pain)
1 Rhino ((C:CSM, pp. 42 & 96); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 10 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 1; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Twin Linked Bolter; Repair)

2 Obliterators @ 150 pts ((C:CSM, pp. 35 & 96); Unit Type: Infantry; Obliterator Weapons; Power Fist; Show Weapon Stats; Lascannon; Linked Flamer; Linked Meltagun; Linked Plasmagun; Multi-Melta; Plasma Cannon; Deep Strike; Fearless; Slow and Purposeful)

2 Obliterators @ 150 pts ((C:CSM, pp. 35 & 96); Unit Type: Infantry; Obliterator Weapons; Power Fist; Show Weapon Stats; Lascannon; Linked Flamer; Linked Meltagun; Linked Plasmagun; Multi-Melta; Plasma Cannon; Deep Strike; Fearless; Slow and Purposeful)

1 Vindicator @ 125 pts ((C:CSM, pp. 43 & 101); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Dozer Blade; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Demolisher Cannon)

1 Chaos Lord @ 120 pts ((C:CSM, pp. 30 & 92); Unit Type: Infantry; ...in Power Armour; Independent Character)
1 Chaos Lord ((C:CSM, pp. 30 & 92); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Bolt Pistol x1; Lightning Claws (pair); Fearless; Independent Character)

9 Khorne Berzerkers @ 234 pts ((C:CSM, pp. 36 & 98); Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Mark of Khorne; Bolt Pistol x9; Close Combat Weapon x9; Fearless; Furious Charge; Rhino)
1 Rhino ((C:CSM, pp. 42 & 96); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 10 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 1; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Twin Linked Bolter; Combi-flamer; Repair)

Total Roster Cost: 1498

Created with Army Builder® - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com

·
Registered
388 Posts
Um... how do you have 3 HQs?

I'm not sure if my friend plays Tyranids the way most people do, but in general Plague Marines won't do so well against them. At least the way my friend plays them, they almost always have poison and often have a way to negate FNP, so the big advantages of Plague Marines will generally be lost. Also, I'm not so confident in Berserkers against Tyranids. They're good in CC, but most Tyranid things are better.

What works best for me, despite it being ridiculously expensive, is fully decked out Noise Marines with almost every option they can possibly take. Just keep pumping Heavy mode shots into this huge swarms or Warriors, then Doom Siren and assault when they're close enough. With a little concentrated fire, they might not even make it that far. Their initiative should tie everything except Genestealers and some other things, so that's a big point in their favor too.

Thousand Sons might also be handy against them. Their AP will get through pretty much everything's armor except the Hive Tyrant, their inv save can make them a nice speed bump against MCs, and you can either take Wind for more template fun against their hordes or Gift to try and get lucky with the dice and turn their Hive Tyrant into a Chaos Spawn. Always a nice way to piss nids off.

For HQs, there's two routs that I find the most useful. #1 is a Daemon Prince of Nurgle with Nurgle's Rot. The last time I played against Tyranids, a pair of these wiped out almost all of his Genestealers and Gaunts in two turns. Rot might be better for you than Wind. It might not hurt the big stuff, but it'll annihilate the little stuff, and you can keep using it while in close combat. #2 is a Slaanesh Lord with a Daemon Weapon. Most Tyranid things don't have Eternal Warrior and the Slaanesh bonus for Daemon Weapons is Instant Death, so it can be pretty fun to watch the Slaanesh Lord run in and one-shot a huge unit of Tyranid Warriors. I personally would go with one of each--a Nurgle DP to face the swarms and a Slaanesh lord with a jump pack to fly around and take out big multi-wound targets. It might help to take a min-sized Raptor unit to give him some meat shields, but if you can keep him out of sight and in cover you might not have to.

I would also strongly consider Defilers as well. The Vindicator hits harder, but there is nothing in the Tyranid codex with a higher Toughness than 6, and only the Hive Tyrant has armor better than 3+ (unless I'm forgetting something.) Thus their S8 AP3 Battlecannon will wound on the exact same roll, get through their armor pretty much as well, but will have a longer range and be able to multi-task as a close combat monster should the need arise. Given the Hive Guard's ability to get through Obliterator armor and instant kill them, I actually think Defilers might even be more useful (and a lot cheaper) than Obliterators against them.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Yeah, the way to kill 'Nids is to shoot the living shit out of them, then hope you can hold off the lines...

It's horrible for me... My army excel in CC... Go up against 'Nids... and i just got cleaned out.

- I'm with Bloodcuddler -> Noise marines all decked out... Or you could try the AP3 Bolters on the Thousand sons, see how you like that... Plasma is pretty useful for taking out MC's like Carnifex... Powerfists can do ok against them...

As i say, i can't really help much, i got wrecked vs 'Nids the time i did play 'em - The guy left town a while ago, so havn't played him ever since.

Hope you can beat those annoying Bugs.

That reminds me.. If in doubt... FLAMER SPAM.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Your list looks pretty good, it looks like it has enough firepower to chew through those nasty nids(The Obliterators, Vindicator, and DP's wind of chaos might have enough templetes between them to deal with the mobs of little bugs). Although you would have to be careful about letting the little bugs close, because if they're loaded with poison sacs, then they can chew your PM up. Swapping them out for noise marines might help, as all their sonic weapons might give you an edge.

Having a few more flamers wouldn't hurt if your friend likes to go overboard with gaunts. And be careful about sending the Zerkers after gaunt squads, as they might get bogged down, and eventually munched by a wandering Carnifex.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
drop the 'Zerker, Lord, and Oblits.

not knowing what kind of 'Nid list your facing, i'm assuming it's either horde of T6 spam.

give both PM squads plasma and both champs PFs. now you can hurt the bigger bugs in a swarm.

i would take a squad of Chosen (8 CSM) in a rhino with flamers.

take a couple of squads of Havoc with ML.

the biggest weakness for 'Nids is that they have no invul. saves, hardly. the best is a 3++ on Zoanthropes, but they're T4 so massed bolter fire can kill them.

yeah, Oblts are good, but at best with a unit of two you get only two plasma templates against hordes. with 4 ML, you'll diminish the little bugs enough to be less of a threat, and still have krak missiles to easily hurt and get past the T6 that Tervigons usually have.

you simply need more shots to thin down hordes or to kill a Trygon in one turn. 8 ML should do that well.

versatility, S8 AP3, are key.

good hunting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts