Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. I'm new to 40k and am trying to make an army list before I go out and buy units. What are your thoughts / suggestions on this list. I want an assault style army. Thank you!

HQ: (140)
1 Warboss
1 Power klaw
1 shoota/skorcha kombi weapon
1 Warbike
1 cybork body

1 Warboss
1 Power klaw
1 Warbike
1 cybork body

Troop: (383)
5 Nob Bikers
5 Bikes
2 Big Choppas
2 Power Klaws
3 Shoota/skorcha kombi-weapon
1 Bosspole
1 Waaagh banner
1 Ammo runt
1 Painboy
1 Grot orderly
5 Cybork bodies

5 Nob Bikers
5 Bikes
2 Big Choppas
2 Power Klaws
1 Bosspole
1 Waaagh banner
1 Ammo runt
1 Painboy
1 Grot orderly
5 Cybork bodies

Troop: (157)
12 Boys
1 Nob
1 Power klaw
1 Bosspole
1 Trukk
1 Red paint job
1 Reinforced ram

12 Boys -72
1 Nob -10
1 Power klaw -25
1 Bosspole -5
1 Trukk -35
1 Red paint job -5
1 Reinforced ram -5

Fast Attack: (70)
1 Deffkopta
1 Buzzsaw
1 Twin-linked rokkit launcha

1 Deffkopta
1 Buzzsaw

Total: (1500)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Not bad for a first list all-in-all...I will try to help keeping your bikers and fast attack theme in mind...

Hey, guys. I'm new to 40k and am trying to make an army list before I go out and buy units. What are your thoughts / suggestions on this list. I want an assault style army. Thank you!

1 Warboss
1 Power klaw
1 Warbike
1 cybork body

I would drop the shoota/skorcha kombi weapon and let him keep his slugga. This way he gets an extra attack in close combat, and you will find his BS 2 won't make many kills with shooting.

1 Warboss
1 Power klaw
1 Warbike
1 cybork body

Same as above. Although I would consider dropping another HQ unit all-together.

5 Nob Bikers
5 Bikes
2 Big Choppas
2 Power Klaws
1 Bosspole
1 Waaagh banner
1 Ammo runt
1 Painboy
1 Grot orderly
5 Cybork bodies

I'm not a fan of massively upgraded nob bikers. I mean look at their points value! You're using around half your points on 10 models. Other ork amies have around 90 boyz for that! I would drop one of the power klaws(depending on remaining points), all the kombi-shootas, and maybe the grot oderly and ammo runt.

5 Nob Bikers
5 Bikes
2 Big Choppas
2 Power Klaws
1 Bosspole
1 Waaagh banner
1 Ammo runt
1 Painboy
1 Grot orderly
5 Cybork bodies

Same as above. I would invest the spare points in more boyz in a truck.

12 Boys
1 Nob
1 Power klaw
1 Bosspole
1 Trukk
1 Red paint job
1 Reinforced ram

Pretty good. I would consider dropping the reinforced ram if you needed to free up some points. You may not tank shock, and it's not always a very effective technique.

12 Boys -72
1 Nob -10
1 Power klaw -25
1 Bosspole -5
1 Trukk -35
1 Red paint job -5
1 Reinforced ram -5

Same as above

1 Deffkopta
1 Buzzsaw

A big rule with orks which works is to max out squads before you start another squad. If you want to have deffkoptas, then put the below deffkopta in the same squad. I wouldn't advise them unless you are taking 3+ though. Remember if you lose 25% of the units strength you have to take a morale test, which means your squads could run off the table and out of the match

1 Deffkopta
1 Buzzsaw

Same as above. I would say drop the Deffkoptas all-together and invest in lootas instead. Brilliant anti-tank, which you are lacking at the moment, and they don't need to be fast ebcause of their 48" weapon range, plus you don't want them in CC.

Total: (1500)

Oh yeah, you can only take one squad on nobz as troops choices with the warboss, the other nobz will have to be elite shoices still :)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
You need more units in the army. You've only got thirty eight, most of whom won't last long.

First, your planning on running solo coptas. All that will happen is they'll get shot and die for very little in return.

Second, the Trukks won't last long, leaving the Orks within dead or stranded, where they won't be able to help you. Worse yet if the Trukks are wrecked or destroyed and you lose to many boyz, the survivors may run away.

Third, the Nob bikers are simply to expensive for a 1500pt army, Nobz on foot are a better choice.

Here's what I'd run:

Wazdakka Gutsmek - 180 points.

Warboss, Powerklaw, Cybork Body, Eavy Armour & Bosspole - 110 points.

7 Bikers - 175 points.

8 Bikers, Nob with Powerklaw & Bosspole - 240 points.

8 Bikers, Nob with Powerklaw & Bosspole - 240 points.

12 Boyz, Big Shoota, Nob with Powerklaw & Bosspole, Trukk - 157 points.

12 Boyz, Big Shoota, Nob with Powerklaw & Bosspole, Trukk - 157 points.

6 Nobz, Waaagh! Banner, 2 Powerklaws, 2 Big Choppas, Shoota/Skorcha, Bosspole, Trukk - 240 points.

Run the Trukks behind the bikers to benefit from the cover save and then go for broke with an assault.

·
Registered
221 Posts
@Ultra

I would drop the shoota/skorcha kombi weapon and let him keep his slugga. This way he gets an extra attack in close combat, and you will find his BS 2 won't make many kills with shooting.
Power klaws don't get an extra attack from have two CCW unless both weapon are power klaws, so giving the warboss a kombi weapon only adds more utility.

@OP: Just to add to what the others have said:

You're spending way too many points on those two nob bikers. With 2/3 of your points spent on two units you will be dangerously out numbered even by a SM list, and they’ll just be able to focuse fire you to death. You can keep one unit of nobz bikers for that hammer unit felling, but two is just too much. Also you should trim down the points. Grot orderly & Ammo runt are a big fat waste of points (being able to reroll one single failed shot is worthless when the unit gets 18 shots a turn). Big Choppas are not that great, because they aren’t power weapons the extra strength only increases the average number of wounds a nob will make by .3 against a MEQ. Kombi weapons are great and cheap, but if you need points drop one or two.

As for your boyz you don’t have nearly enough. With the points saved from dropping a nob unit you need to add at a minimum 2 more trukk units, but more is better, most will say if your using trukks you need to max out your troop slots in the FOC. Trukks can be stopped by a handgun, and I think a good general rule is to assume you’ll lose two trukks a turn. In addition trukks have a nasty habit of killing 1/3 of their cargo. So basically more trukks means more boyz will get to combat alive.

As for the Deffkopters, I love them, best ork Fast attack IMO. But like everything in the ork dex you gota keep them cheap and you gota have a lot more of them then you do. Buzz saws are not worth the points: even on a charge the kopter will have a strength of 7 which is not enough to insure damage against a target with av12 and above with only 3 attacks and against infantry remember that you’re I sucks and you’ll more often than not attack second, which is assuming that you lived long enough to get you’re attacks in.

Lastly no ork list is truly complete with out Lootas. They work wonders! They can obliterate anything but av14 through sear volume of fire.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Ah yeah sorry my bad!

I still wouldn't be massively fond of upgrading any guns, simply because of their shit BS. Of course, if it does hit, you will kill, but I never tend to shoot, choosing to run instead (I play horde mostly).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ultra111;757375[COLOR=deepskyblue said:
A big rule with orks which works is to max out squads before you start another squad. If you want to have deffkoptas, then put the below deffkopta in the same squad. I wouldn't advise them unless you are taking 3+ though. Remember if you lose 25% of the units strength you have to take a morale test, which means your squads could run off the table and out of the match[/COLOR]
This is blatantly false the Defkoptas are used correctly if they are worth the fast attack slot at all. The only possible way to avoid a LD check from only 1 casualty is to take 5 which is far too expensive for what they offer. spreading them out and forcing the opponent to use extra squads / shooting phases to eliminate them is perfect for the suicide dive which they will be doing.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I know that. But I was saying there is no point taking less than 3 deffkoptas. There is no point in having one in a Squad, they will be far more effective together. 5 is not too expensive, it depends entirely on how you are using them, what you are playing, the points cost, and other various factors. Fact is if he takes one then it won't be hard to kill that, wasting a minimum of 35 points.

What I'm saying is they will be better working in groups of 3-5, not one. Good anti-tank unit, although I prefer Lootas.

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Sullen's list is great and Nob bikers are a bit pricey but you could make it work. This list's HQ is brutally hard and fast. It has Nob bikers, mobile cover, 4 troop choices, and anti armor. You just have to get 'em locked into combat ASAP.

WazBiker1500

HQ: 335

Wazdakka Gutsmek: Bosspole; Kustom Mega-Blasta; Mek's Tools; Stikkbombs; Warbike of the Aporkalypse; Power Klaw; Slugga; Dakkacannon

Warboss Biker: Attack Squig; Cybork Body; Warbike; Dakkagun; Power Klaw; Shoota/Skorcha Kombi-weapon

Troops: 1055

Nob Bikers x 6:
1 Painboy:Dok's Tools; Cybork Body; Warbike; 'Urty Syringe; Dakkagun; Grot Orderly)
1 Nobz (Warbike; Cybork Body; Choppa; Slugga; Dakkagun)
1 Nobz (Warbike; Bosspole; Cybork Body; Choppa; Slugga; Dakkagun)
1 Nobz (Warbike; Cybork Body; Waaagh! Banner; Choppa; Slugga; Dakkagun)
1 Nobz (Warbike; Cybork Body; Slugga; Dakkagun; Power Klaw)
1 Nobz (Warbike; Cybork Body; Dakkagun; Power Klaw; Shoota/Skorcha Kombi-weapon)

Warbikers x 7: Nob w/PK&BP

Fast Attack: 110

Warbuggies x 3: TL Rokkits (x3); Grot Rigger (x1)

Total Roster Cost: 1500

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is a negative combat effective slide from 3 TLRs in 3 different squads to 3 TLRs in one squad. Not only can they be killed by a single firing unit reducing their value as a suicide diversion they also must all fire at the same unit so if one gets lucky the others cannot move on for additional suicidal carnage.

The point of larger squads is freeing up additional fast attack slots of which he isn't using all even with his koptas spread out.

An argument to redesign his list might make sense.... simply combining two defkoptas into one squad is fail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really appreciate all the input.Thank you!!! Much more responsive than some other sites I've tried. I would love to do that all warbiker / warbuggy list but on a college students budget it just isn't possible. The idea behind the deffkoptas was mainly to immobilize transports or units hiding in the corners. Thus, allowing nothing to get too far out of reach of my bikers and trukkz. It seems that Nob bikers are meant more for 2k point games. If I was going to do a 2k army with the list I already made. Where would you all put the other 500 pts?

·
4,491 Posts
I know that. But I was saying there is no point taking less than 3 deffkoptas. There is no point in having one in a Squad, they will be far more effective together. 5 is not too expensive, it depends entirely on how you are using them, what you are playing, the points cost, and other various factors. Fact is if he takes one then it won't be hard to kill that, wasting a minimum of 35 points.

What I'm saying is they will be better working in groups of 3-5, not one. Good anti-tank unit, although I prefer Lootas.
Sorry, i have to strongly disagree with you.

Deffkoptas should only ever be taken in units of 1.

If you take more than 1 per unit, then you need to take a leadership test after losing 1 model.
All it takes is 1 shot that is S8+ to insta-kill a Deffkopta, force a leadership test, and watch the unit flee.
With the insanely high points cost that comes with a large unit of these, it is a VERY poor investment.

Also, by running them in units of 1 you can force the opponent to "waste" shots.
Say for example they use a unit of Devastators with Missiles.
One shot might kill the Deffkopta, therefore forcing them to waste the other 3 shots. If they were to shoot at a unit of 5 Deffkoptas they would take out half the unit, forcing the other unit to run off the table.

And the final benefit is that it allows you to split your fire. Rather than having to shoot 3 Deffkoptas at the one unit, you can split them into 3 units and give them different priority targets.

If you have 3 Deffkoptas, run them as 3 units of 1. ALWAYS.

The ONLY downside to running them in 3 separate units is Kill Points, which is why its better to only run 1 or 2 units of 1 in an army if your not sure which mission you are playing.

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
I really appreciate all the input.Thank you!!! Much more responsive than some other sites I've tried. I would love to do that all warbiker / warbuggy list but on a college students budget it just isn't possible. The idea behind the deffkoptas was mainly to immobilize transports or units hiding in the corners. Thus, allowing nothing to get too far out of reach of my bikers and trukkz. It seems that Nob bikers are meant more for 2k point games. If I was going to do a 2k army with the list I already made. Where would you all put the other 500 pts?
You could inexpensively convert if you wanted to. Check out KOC's THREAD.

...or expensively convert this one.:biggrin:

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts

Mmmmmm...So you want to add 500 pts. to your existing list with minimal changes...of course...right? Mmmmmmm. OK. Check this list out. Boosted it with superior armored BWs, more Boyz and an extra Deffkopta. :eek:k:

StarvinOrkStooduntMekinized2000

HQ: 280

Warboss Biker: Cybork Body; Power Klaw; Shoota/Skorcha Kombi-weapon

Warboss Biker: Cybork Body; Power Klaw; Shoota/Skorcha Kombi-weapon

Troops: 1314

Nob Bikers x 5:
1 Painboy: Cybork Body
1 Nob: Bosspole; Cybork Body; Power Klaw
1 Nob: Cybork Body; Waaagh! Banner
1 Nob: Cybork Body;Power Klaw
1 Nob: Cybork Body

Nob Bikers x 5:
1 Painboy: Cybork Body
1 Nob: Bosspole; Cybork Body; Power Klaw
1 Nob: Cybork Body; Waaagh! Banner
1 Nob: Cybork Body;Power Klaw
1 Nob: Cybork Body

Slugga Boyz x 12: Nob w/BP&PK; Trukk

Slugga Boyz x 12: Nob w/BP&PK; Trukk

Slugga Boyz x 20: Nob w/BP&PK

Slugga Boyz x 20: Nob w/BP&PK

Fast Attack: 135

Deffkopta: TL Rokkits

Heavy Support: 270

Battlewagon: Armour Plates; Deff Rolla; Grot Rigga; Big Shoota (x2)

Battlewagon: Armour Plates; Deff Rolla; Grot Rigga; Big Shoota (x2)

Total Roster Cost: 1999 :picknose::good:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mmmmmm...So you want to add 500 pts. to your existing list with minimal changes...of course...right? Mmmmmmm. OK. Check this list out. Boosted it with superior armored BWs, more Boyz and an extra Deffkopta. :eek:k:

Thanks man. I was thinking something almost exactly like this. Good list name too. I guess this means i'm off to the local hobby store now!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts