Nemesis DreadKnight 160
HI

Aegis Line 100
Quad Gun

1500pts

·
Registered
396 Posts
While this is very interesting coteaz in my opinon is not being utilized to his fullest potential with only 2 henchmen squads and sorry to say this is your only scoring unit.

you spend to much on interceptors to try and get some form on sneak attack with the incinerators. this is why they cost so much for them(incinerator). psycannons do it better and have longer range.

NDK can be very affective with a teleporter as he is a MC and ignores dangerous terrain so you really can land him almost anywhere he can fit.

My concern is to your ability to take objectives. your only heavy hitting force is the NDK. while the interceptors can not be slept on they are a one trick pony. I use them but not to this extent in honesty.

It sucks that you dont have a GM to make them scoring. you could go with a cheap xeno inquisitor with a conversion beam sit back with 1 henchmen unitand hold the line and get some more points for a GM. justa thought.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
It sucks that you dont have a GM to make them scoring. you could go with a cheap xeno inquisitor with a conversion beam sit back with 1 henchmen unitand hold the line and get some more points for a GM. justa thought.
Doing that would require a full army rewrite, because none of those units would be scoring. So that 'cheap inquisitor' would require two additional troop units, on top of the Grand Master costing him 20% of his army.

OP: I see what you're going for with this, but... No, sorry. 6 IG guys with heavy bolters can NOT be your scoring units. It just won't work. Even in Chimeras you're pretty much castrating yourself with so few models that can do anything. Especially since one squad will also be risking mindlock. I would bulk up a single Henchmen squad, maybe add some Jokero and Acolytes to the 3 servitors, put Coteaz in with them, slap the whole thing on your Aegis. Then turn one of your Interceptor Squads into a Strike Squad. At least then you have two troop choices that are larger than a small blast template could remove.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
The list needs to be more "mission focused" rather than capability focused. There are some good units in your list, I am a big fan of Interceptors, but as they guys have said there really isn't enough in it to actually achieve the missions you are likely to be playing.

What I have found works for me is to think of how you are going to gain each victory point in a game.

Slay the Warlord, maybe think about a "hit squad" type of unit. I like a Vindicare on a Quad or Lascannon as a Warlord zapper !

Linebreaker, here is where your Interceptors are great

First Blood, this is more about how you deploy , making sure that there isn't a weak unit floating about that can be easily zapped. (Hint 3 Servitors would be a prime target for your opponent to get First Blood)

Then you have holding objectives and for this you want some resilient units that can take a lot of punishment and they are even better if they can dish some out as well.

Once you have these things covered you can look at other stuff like; making you army mobile (deep striking or transports), countering specific enemy threats (like flyers) and complimentary tasks that make achieving these key jobs a bit easier (fire support to slow down an enemy advance).

Once you get all that together you should have a fairly solid list.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
HQ
Coteaz 100
Best HQ in 40k, so sure.

Elites
10 Purifiers 288
4 psycannons
4 Halberds
2 swords
rhino 40
Don't go halfway on Halberds, go all or none. This, in my opinion, is way too big a points investment in 1500pts with such poor defences.

Troops
3 Servitors 86
3 heavy bolters
Chimera
searchlight

3 Servitors 86
3 heavy bolters
Chimera
searchlight
No way, absolutely no way. Take 4 of these units, give them Plasma Cannons instead, do something about Mindlock, and you might have an army.

Fast Attack
10 Interceptors 320
2 Incinerators
psybolts

10 Interceptors 320
2 Incinerators
psybolts
Nope. Interceptors are inferior to Strike Knights.

Heavy Support
Nemesis DreadKnight 160
HI
No. Too slow, too short-ranged, too big.

Aegis Line 100
Quad Gun
No. Nothing to hide behind it.

For a competitive list, this is absolutely awful, I'm afraid. Replace the Interceptors with Strike Knights, either add more or remove the Servitors, add Psyflemen, remove the Dreadknight, remove the Purifiers, add more Henchmen (Warriors with Storm Bolters and Meltaguns in Chimeras).

Midnight

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Midnight is 100% correct on everything but one point:

No way, absolutely no way. Take 4 of these units, give them Plasma Cannons instead, do something about Mindlock, and you might have an army.
This still isn't an army. Troops need to move, and if these things are moving, then they suck. And that's without factoring in Mindlock, which only exacerbates the problem.

I don't want to sound like an internet tough-guy (which is weird since I usually revel in that...), but it's back to the drawing board with this list.

Some hints-

Coteaz was correct- he is the default Grey Knight HQ, if you don't have a good reason to bring something else, then you bring him, even if you don't run Henchmen.

Grey Knight Strike Squads are some of the best troops in the game- use them. Generally you want to bring 10 Strikes with 2 Psycannons and Psybolt Ammunition, probably with a Rhino.

Servitors are bad, give me Warrior Acolytes any day of the week. A single unit can be OK, but even then I don't love it.

I really don't see Purifiers as a good unit unless you just spam Power Armoured Grey Knights (mostly GKSS and Purifiers) on foot and make your opponents dead. That list is certainly a thing, but it's nowhere near what you have.

Interceptors are generally inefficient; like Purifiers they have lists where they fit (AKA the ROFLShunt list, which is OK, but not great), but are basically not worth bringing.

Dreadknights generally need a Teleporter, otherwise they're simply not applying enough pressure. Once they have a teleporter, they become good, though.

A list of other good units in GK:

Psyfleman Dreadnought (Dreadnought with 2 TL Autocannons and Psyammo)- The scourge of 5th edition, this guys is even more of a boss at downing enemy mech with the advent of hullpoints, and is handy at piling wounds onto heavy infantry as well.

Death Cult Assassins + Crusaders- these guys are ludicrously efficient CC bullets love love Stormravens, which brings me to-

Stormravens- Kit them out with Multimelta, assault cannon, hurricane bolters and psyammo. Put DCA inside them. Delivers assault units AND kills enemy aircraft pretty well (for a GK unit, anyways).

Hope this helps

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Death Cult Assassins + Crusaders- these guys are ludicrously efficient CC bullets love love Stormravens, which brings me to-
Strangely enough, agree with Coke on everything but this. DCA are less stellar now due to their hugely fragile nature and the nerf of Power Swords and Furious Charge. They're still brutal in a Stormraven, with attached Techmarine or Ordo Xenos Inquisitor with Rads and Psychotrokes, but they're not hugely efficient anymore. Not *bad*, but not fantastic. A cool point is that they can pick two of the Power Weapon types, so you can go Axe/Sword or Maul/Sword if you want. I'd personally go with Maul/Sword, as you don't want to fight Terminators anyway and the Maul is nice against something like Necron Warriors or Boyz (but even with a full squad of DCA, do NOT charge any Ork unit larger than 15 models. You are too fragile.)

Midnight

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I see what you did there :p

The thing with DCA is that they're stupidly cheap. For like 75pts you can get 4 DCA and a Crusader as a magic bullet that deletes a unit to go in the Stormraven you were buying anyways for AA purposes. Oh, and because you aren't a numpty and brought Coteaz, they score as well, if you need it. I wouldn't even bother attaching a character, just let their statlines do the talking.

I also don't understand how Furious Charge nerfs affected DCA at all, considering they never had it (unless you're talking about SoB?)

BTW, I would be amazed if there are any Orks left for DCA to charge against a properly built GK army; it's just such a rough matchup for them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback guys I really appreciate it. I was mainly thinking those 3 man hechmen squads because the last few games I've played strike squads is because they die in every game I play them and the reason I'm thinking interceptors is because even just taking one they have been the MVP for every one of my games next to my Dreadknight (without ta teleporter, in fact I've yet to not make his points back deepstriking him onto the field in last 5 or so games I've played him and this is includidnt tournaments) I sadly agree on the purifiers, I really just wanted a nice anti-horde/ strong anti-flyer base with coteaz buffing the psycannons making them twin-linked but I believe your right in that they will just get shot off the field. I guess I'll try out strikes one more time....

readjusted the list a little

HQ
Inquisitor 34
3 servo skulls

Elites
Henchmen 55
2 plasma cannon servitors
3 henchmen
w bolters

Troops
10 Grey Knights 280
2 psycannons
psybolts
rhino

10 Grey Knights 280
2 psycannons
psybolts
rhino

Fast Attack
10 Interceptors 320
2 Incinerators
psybolts

10 Interceptors 320
2 Incinerators
psybolts

Heavy Support
Nemesis DreadKnight 160
HI

Aegis Defense Line 50

1499pts.

I put in the strikes with a bit of a :shok:" like I'm really trying this again?"
I then took out coteaz because he really isn't going to be as strong a multiplier and put in a normal inquisitor with a small henchmen squad/ a unit to fill up my elite slot so that I can have one in that of bonus objectives "like eliminate all your opponents elite choices". I decided to keep the the aegis but throw out the quadgun seeing I'm really not going to have a strong anti- air now that the purifiers are gone and threw in some servo skulls to help against infilitrators and deepstrikes if I see it will prove to be of better use.

So what do you guys think about it now?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys I really appreciate it. I was mainly thinking those 3 man hechmen squads because the last few games I've played strike squads is because they die in every game I play them
Then frankly you're probably using them wrong they should pretty much be setting up in midfield and start blasting away. Also, if twenty GKSS are dying I don't see how you can possibly expect 6 GeQ to live... Because any opponent with 2 brain cells to strike against each other will realise their your only scoring, will kill them, probably nab First Blood, and then you're basically playing for the draw AT BEST.

and the reason I'm thinking interceptors is because even just taking one they have been the MVP for every one of my games next to my Dreadknight (without ta teleporter, in fact I've yet to not make his points back deepstriking him onto the field in last 5 or so games I've played him and this is includidnt tournaments)
A couple of things:

1) Why are they MVPing? What do they achieve?

2) "Making your points back" is a horrendously antiquated way of thinking- many of the stronger units in the game (Rhinos, IG infantry squads, Kroot) never "make their points back", but they help you achieve the win anyways.

3) Any decent opponent should be bringing tools to deal with a DSing Dreadknight- between DKs and Riptides, T6 2+ MCs are too relevant for people to not be able to down when they need to.

I sadly agree on the purifiers, I really just wanted a nice anti-horde/ strong anti-flyer base with coteaz buffing the psycannons making them twin-linked but I believe your right in that they will just get shot off the field. I guess I'll try out strikes one more time....
Strikes ARE anti horde. I don't get how people don't think that S5 Stormbolters just ruin mass infantry. Otherwise, you need to be bringing blasts.

I put in the strikes with a bit of a :shok:" like I'm really trying this again?"
I then took out coteaz because he really isn't going to be as strong a multiplier
I don't mean to be rude, but are you trolling? Actually a legit question. Coteaz is one of the strongest force multipliers in the game- 2 Divination powers per turn is no laughing matter. I'd look to put him back in.

Coteaz rolls upfield with the GK, giving their stormbolters twin linking, and then uses his second power to tank hits (Precognition) make stuff die harder (Misfortune) make objective squatters cry (Perfect Timing) or make one of your units resistant to Heldrakes (Forewarning).

and put in a normal inquisitor with a small henchmen squad/ a unit to fill up my elite slot so that I can have one in that of bonus objectives "like eliminate all your opponents elite choices".
Since that's not a standard BYB mission, that's a decision you need to make for yourself before events.

I decided to keep the the aegis but throw out the quadgun seeing I'm really not going to have a strong anti- air now that the purifiers are gone and threw in some servo skulls to help against infilitrators and deepstrikes if I see it will prove to be of better use.

So what do you guys think about it now?
It's better, but still bad. The interceptors still aren't doing much for you, and your scoring base is still weak.

A list like this cannot afford to ignore flyers; with Heldrakes and Night Scythes flying around your army basically just dies to them. The Purifiers themselves were never effective AA, you need to really spam them in order to achieve that.

Seriously, just drop the interceptors and inquisitor, grab Coteaz, a Stormraven, a teleporter for the Dreadknight, and some DCA to go in the Raven, and then spend the last of the points on either GKSS or Warrior Acolytes- then you have something at least playable. I guess you can keep a 5 man interceptor squad with incinerator, but I wouldn't take much more than that.

Oh wait, I just realised your interceptors have incinerators and not psycannons- How the hell do you expect to deal with mech?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
1. Exchange Inquisitor for Coteaz
2: Drop Interceptors
3. Add 10 GKSS in Rhino with Psycannons and Psybolt
4. Add 3 Psyflemen
5. Take out the Dreadknight and add 3 units of 1 Paladin with Psycannon.

There. The amount of Psycannon/Psybolt Autocannon fire you can throw into the air with either Twin-Linked naturally, from Coteaz, or Preferred Enemy should give you a chance against Flyers, whilst also demolishing foot and mech. I wouldn't want to face any strong Imperial Guard or Necron List with it, but it's functional. Might have to shuffle a few points, I'm doing this by memory.

Coke, my bad on DCA. What's their base initiative? If it's 4 I wouldn't take them (mathematically each DCA kills just over 1 Marine on the charge with their basic gear), I5 and they might be worth a look instead of the Solodins.

Midnight

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Yeh Paladins are a bit different you can have units of one model and Psycannon, Psilencers and Incinerators are 1 for every 5 in a unit

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Coke, my bad on DCA. What's their base initiative? If it's 4 I wouldn't take them (mathematically each DCA kills just over 1 Marine on the charge with their basic gear), I5 and they might be worth a look instead of the Solodins.

Midnight
Duuuuuuuude, they're I6! Get how great they are? They strike before Eldar in combat.

I don't think so, you need 10 to get 2 Psycannons but you can take a single Psycannon at anything from 1-9.

Midnight
Their unit entry clearly states that you may take one heavy weapon for every 5 Paladins- no solodins with psycannons, unfortunately. Still solodins are pretty good disruption, and if you have points spare I can think of worse ways to spend points.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Duuuuuuuude, they're I6! Get how great they are? They strike before Eldar in combat.

Their unit entry clearly states that you may take one heavy weapon for every 5 Paladins- no solodins with psycannons, unfortunately. Still solodins are pretty good disruption, and if you have points spare I can think of worse ways to spend points.
We're both wrong, it actually says you can take 2 per 5 models. Hmm. Still, you can do a lot worse than taking one.

DCA are a good bomb unit then, you point and obliterate, although they're probably a one-hit-wonder - you'll remove a unit, but you'll get removed in turn. Still solid though.

Midnight

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeh Paladins are a bit different you can have units of one model and Psycannon, Psilencers and Incinerators are 1 for every 5 in a unit

sorry guys but this is only half true. You can take a unit of 1, but they only gain access to special guns for every 5, two paladins may replace their storm bolters with one of the following:Incinerator, Psilencers, Psycannon

terminators have the 5 to 1 restriction on them. seems we all duplicated lol

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
sorry guys but this is only half true. You can take a unit of 1, but they only gain access to special guns for every 5, two paladins may replace their storm bolters with one of the following:Incinerator, Psilencers, Psycannon

terminators have the 5 to 1 restriction on them. seems we all duplicated lol
This is what I meant, but yeah, it is 2 per 5. Still no solodin with cannons, but you can take units of 10 with 4 cannons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts