Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so far from what I have read and been told I think the HQ and elites i have chosen are the ones people pretty much consider the best options, the troops are awesome objective holders( one has an instrument cause I had 5 points spare) but the remaining points I have spent I am not 100% sure are the best options.

so here’s the list for you to check:

HQ
110- Tzeentch Herald: Chariot, Bolt of Tzeentch, Master of Sorcery, We Are Legion

110- Tzeentch Herald: Chariot, Bolt of Tzeentch, Master of Sorcery, We Are Legion

Elite
190- 6 Fiends: Unholy might

Troops
75- 5 Plague bearers

80- 5 Plague bearers: Instrument of Chaos

Heavy Support
185 Daemon Prince: MoN, Noxious Touch, Cloud of Flies, Wings

1500 Total

I went for the 3 daemon princes cause they are fast moving hard cc monsters and pretty tough to kill in pairs let alone a tri-prince assault wave, my other option was going to be drop the 3 princes and have 3 soul grinders with phlegm which would leave me an extra 75 points to spend on another unit of 5 plague bearers, but I would like your opinions on what would be the best option the 3 princes as they are, 3 soul grinders + extra 5 plague bearers or spend the extra points on something totally different to make the list better.

So what do you think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would recommend that you add Iron Hide to your Daemon Princes. I know the higher toughness will help, but you do not want them to fall to massed small arms fire. If you cannot find the points to do that; consider the Mark of Tzeentch with Bolt of Tzeentch and Daemonic Gaze (optional). That will free up enough points to add one or two more units. If you leave Daemonic Gaze off the Daemon Prince, you could probably get another Herald of Tzeentch. Other than your Daemon Princes the list looks good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm new to daemons myself, but I've some experience w/ CSM, so I can talk about it from an opponents pov.

imho i'd say too light on troops - a good round of shooting would see you lose your only scoring units on the first turn. while i think fiends are wicked, I would be happy with 2 squads. Would use the points to buff up ur troops, in squads of at least 7.

I'm guessing this list isn't geared for much AV 14? this list would struggle against LR's. adding might on ur DP's would solve that - not sure if noxious touch is really necessary, unless ur facing nidzilla/wraith armies. You may consider jsut 2 DP's and adding more troops - even then you'd still have 4 roving AT units!

my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
ok so far from what I have read and been told I think the HQ and elites i have chosen are the ones people pretty much consider the best options, the troops are awesome objective holders( one has an instrument cause I had 5 points spare) but the remaining points I have spent I am not 100% sure are the best options.

so here’s the list for you to check:

HQ

These are very nice. And, as you may well know, the best HQ choice besides GDs.
Elite

Roflcopter. Stalking speedy death. Let the fat guys take the beatings and then these guys will finish off anything left. 18 fiends is so awesome it's lame.
Troops
75- 5 Plague bearers

Way to spend your last 5 points. These are good enough. But an extra unit would do wonders.
Heavy Support

As you said, I would go for grinders instead and get another 5 bearers. Why? Because without Iron Hide these guys just don't cut it. They die way too easily to small-medium arms fire and they will rarely make back their points. 3 grinders also have the benefit that they are so large you can hide your precious fiends behind them so they don't die as easily.
1500 Total

I went for the 3 daemon princes cause they are fast moving hard cc monsters and pretty tough to kill in pairs let alone a tri-prince assault wave, my other option was going to be drop the 3 princes and have 3 soul grinders with phlegm which would leave me an extra 75 points to spend on another unit of 5 plague bearers, but I would like your opinions on what would be the best option the 3 princes as they are, 3 soul grinders + extra 5 plague bearers or spend the extra points on something totally different to make the list better.

So what do you think?
Overall a very good, even competitive list. Just get those princes hide or drop them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
so from what everyone has said get iron hide or lose the princes, since an extra 30 points per model would mean the princes would cost to much and i'm not over keen on them being a good addition to the army as it is thats not happening, so the new list is this:

HQ

Elite

Troops
75- 5 Plague bearers

75- 5 Plague bearers

Heavy Support
160- Soulgrinder: Phlegm

1500 Total

so thats the new list what do you think of that?

Edit: sorry forgot to say thankyou all for the help so far :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome well my next game is not for a while now, probs not till after halloween so i will see how well it does then

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the souldgrinder list to a game lastnight, we had a 3 person all on all game and rolled annihilation mission, i was playing against chaos spacemarines and normal marines, everything in the army performed awesome(except the plaguebearers but they are not really designed to be killy and are there to hold objectives in other missions) i had 2 bad scatters where i rolled very high on the scatter and lost a unit of fiends ouch! and a unit of plaguebearers pfft whatever, but other than that the game went very much in my favor i had a great time and am thinking now that daemons is the army for me just a few more test runs b4 i decide and start collecting.

anyway thanks for the help deciding what would be the best way to go with the army

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm guessing this list isn't geared for much AV 14? this list would struggle against LR's. adding might on ur DP's would solve that - not sure if noxious touch is really necessary, unless ur facing nidzilla/wraith armies. You may consider jsut 2 DP's and adding more troops - even then you'd still have 4 roving AT units!

my 2 cents...
Always take Noxious touch if you a running a Nurgle Daemon Prince. You wound on 2's and get re-roll to wound if your opponent is toughness 5 or less due to it being a poison weapon.

As for the list, I would drop a unit of fiends and pick up more plaguebearers.
Try and get Iron hide on the daemon princes.Also would maybe trade 1 daemon prince for a soul grinder with phlegm.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thankyou for the imput m8 but i have already dropped all the princes as you can see from my 2nd list i have posted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts