Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically, my old VC battalion has been on the shelf for a while, until i finally took it down and decided I wanted to play fantasy. Anyway, I want to know what to invest in so that i could have a fun and effective army to start off playing fantasy. I am quite confident with most of the rules and have seen how vampires work.

i would probably want to run a list consisting of -

footslogging vampire lord blender

mounted vampire (if points allow)
higher level necromancer

2 big units of skellies (really like the models) (insert necromancer)
2 small units of dire wolves

grave guard (insert blender)
black knights (insert vampire)

maybe some spirit hosts too as they seem quite effective.

would obviously also help i think to raise some zombies to be a hassle.

let me know what you think, and let me know whether I'm on the right track. it would also really help if you could advise me on the best units to invest in so that i'm not left with hordes of unused models haha.

many thanks, elsmiff

·
Registered
483 Posts
As far as who goes where in units and what not, I'd be more prone to put the lord AND hero vamp in the knights. But, if you want one in each, the knights would benefit from the lord more as he can make up for the lack of numbers with how killy he is. Plus he'll get places faster which means he'll be off and killing things sooner.

I highly recommend the the spirit hosts. In my 1500pt armies I tend to run 2 or 3 solo. Sometimes I'll try a unit of 2 and a solo base, but, usually they're all solo.

The biggest problem I see is you're looking to do a lot of characters in a 1500pt game. W/ GW going 50% for Lords and Heroes, people really go nuts and end up w/ not enough troops. You could easily do a low magic lvl blender lord and a lvl 3 necro. But then you'll be stuck w/ an "either or" sort of issue b/w the GG and cav. I'd go w/ the cav just to get a mounted blender into combat quicker.

Here's just a sample of an army I came up w/ off the top of my head:

Lvl 1 Vamp Lord w/ Lore of Vampires, Barded Nightmare, Armor of Destiny, Sword of Might, Quickblood, Red Fury, Shield -- 397
Lvl 3 Master Necro w/ Lore of Vampires, Master of the Dead, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Preservation -- 235
31 Skelies w/ Full Command - 185
30 Skelies w/ Full Command - 180
5 Dire Wolves
5 Dire Wolves
9 Black Knights w/ Lances, Barding, Full Command, Razor Standard -- 234
Spirit Host
Spirit Host

Again, just a quick one-off list that's fairly self explanatory. Characters take up a LOT of points.

Hope this helps some! :so_happy:

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Whoa, that's a lot of points in Characters.

Blender Characters need to get in combat. Sticking him on foot is making him unreactive. At low points, giving him Wings makes him reasonably capable, especially if you can have him double with a Terrorgheist or a 3x2 unit of Vargheists. The Vampire Lord doesn't need caster levels, but there's no real need to take Lore of Vampires if you're taking the End Times rules (50% Lords) - pick up the Lore of Undeath. Even if you don't want to play with Undead Legions, Lore of Undeath works (you don't need Lore of Vampires in End Times on your general, as there's no crumble). This way you can summon skellies/grave guard (This is fun, and why people play undead).

This is incidentally the only way you can fit both Lord and Master Necro in one unit.

Grave Guard don't need a character. They're there to remove Steadfast, and to kill heavy armoured things which are a pain for your Skellies to kill.

If you're going Undead Legions, maybe pick up some skeleton archers rather than normal skellies (They'll do nothing against maybe Goblins, or other cretin units, and nobody takes them anyway other than because they like the models as they just get wiped off the map - a unit of skullcrushers once wiped out 26 in a single turn, go figure).

If you're wanting to run a Blender Lord, put it on horse and stick in black knight units. If you want it on foot, don't run black knights, take Vargheists (these are ace).

With regards to Grave Guard - I wouldn't bother with these at this level. Too slow, and too many points shared.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well then should i go with an army that goes like this -

flying blender vampire lord like vaz said
lvl 3 necromancer much like Karnalbloodfist's

30 skellies
30 skellies
5 wolves
5 wolves

3 spirit hosts

vargheists or terrorgheist (prefer terrorgheist)

thanks of the help guys :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts