Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to build a well-rounded list, because I typically play against a couple close friends and have a good idea of what they'll field.

130 - Chaplain - digital weapons and jump pack and melta bombs
210 - Tactical marines - 10 with sergeant with powerfist, combimelta, melta guns and a multimelta
205 - Tactical Marines - 10 powerfist, combi flamer, flamer and missile launcher
50 rhino extra armor
205- Tactical Marines - 10 with powerfist, combi flamer, flamer, missile launcher
50 rhino extra armor
245 - Assault marines - 10 with sergeant, 2 plasma pistols and 1 powerfist
265 - Land raider - extra armor
135 - Vindicator - has a dozer blade extra armor

I have played this list twice now, both against an infantry heavy guard army with 4 special characters. The first time I eked out a win in capture and control, and just now I got tabled in a 5 objective seize ground game.
I also played a similar game of capture and control against a nid swarm, the difference being I subbed out the chaplain for a librarian with combimelta, jump pack, and took a combiflamer out of a tactical squad to make up the points...

Any suggestions on this list? The Vindicator tends to get pretty highly prioritized and hasn't killed anything ( wait no, 2 gaunts...). All in all, I feel like it's a decent mech marine list. Not sure if the Assault marines are pulling their weight though...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see the arguments against the raider, but I like it mainly for the AV14. It's a huge terror of a unit that requires a large quantity and quality of attention to get rid of. My opponents tend to field things like guard heavy weapon squads, and while they may bounce off of the raider, they would have an easier time picking apart predators or dreads.

I like doubling up on the flamers in squads, it helps me go from killing "some" of the gaunts or combined guard squad to "all of it". It seems like one melta wouldn't be that great for shooting, and hopefully the powerfists can crack any vehicles they run into...
that's my argument for going with them on all the sergeants.

Plasmapistols may have to go, they cost a lot, and haven't fried any of my own guys yet, but there hasn't been a clutch moment of them actually helping either.

The extra rhino idea is interesting too. Would help against my poor assault marines get ganked by blasts less, and would be one more transport to pop...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. Yeah, it seems like the solution is me buying different units :p

I couldn't help but find it a little funny that Mercer noted one tactical squad doesn't have a transport to go in, and Chumbalaya commented that I have a Land Raider that has nothing to carry...
While putting that tactical squad in it isn't great, it's been seeing me off fairly well, and I like that it's more mobile units that claim objectives.

Honestly I feel like the weakest parts of this army need to see me playing Eldar or something. I don't have TLAC dreads because 1. I don't own any ( should probably remedy this, all I have are AOBR ones) and 2. because Autocannons don't seem particularly compelling against IG or Nids, the two armies I actually play against.

I use the Land Raider Classic cause that's what we have, and I like the lascannons for picking off tyranid warriors and heavy weapons squads. Is the Crusader really that nifty? I looked at the stats for hurricane bolters, shrugged and moved on.

Mercer, do you suggest splitting the squad of assault marines, or trying to take 0 or 2 at full strength? Honestly they haven't been star performers, and I would swap them out for something else nifty if I had it on hand.

Chumbalaya, I like your list, but it does include a rather pesky $200 or so of models I don't own. Better get on that. Tips for converting AOBR termies into something a little more.... hammery?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts