Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to build a well-rounded list, because I typically play against a couple close friends and have a good idea of what they'll field.

130 - Chaplain - digital weapons and jump pack and melta bombs
210 - Tactical marines - 10 with sergeant with powerfist, combimelta, melta guns and a multimelta
205 - Tactical Marines - 10 powerfist, combi flamer, flamer and missile launcher
50 rhino extra armor
205- Tactical Marines - 10 with powerfist, combi flamer, flamer, missile launcher
50 rhino extra armor
245 - Assault marines - 10 with sergeant, 2 plasma pistols and 1 powerfist
265 - Land raider - extra armor
135 - Vindicator - has a dozer blade extra armor

I have played this list twice now, both against an infantry heavy guard army with 4 special characters. The first time I eked out a win in capture and control, and just now I got tabled in a 5 objective seize ground game.
I also played a similar game of capture and control against a nid swarm, the difference being I subbed out the chaplain for a librarian with combimelta, jump pack, and took a combiflamer out of a tactical squad to make up the points...

Any suggestions on this list? The Vindicator tends to get pretty highly prioritized and hasn't killed anything ( wait no, 2 gaunts...). All in all, I feel like it's a decent mech marine list. Not sure if the Assault marines are pulling their weight though...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i personaly would drop the Vindicator. As you say it's done nothing and i personly think they are only worth even thinking about if used in pairs or more. Also drop the plasma pistols. I dislike using plasma unless there is a way of avoiding "gets hot" tho being on a tank or FNP. I also think there are too many fists so maybe drop 1 or 2 of them. You can then use the points on a Preditor and outfit it with lascannons on all sides and blast away from afar

·
Registered
442 Posts
first off multi meltas r only gd on attack bikes or a themed salamander army get ur antitank else where and land raiders IMO are only ever taken 2 deploy a really assulty unit into combat otherwise leave them at home 265 pts 4 2 lascannons and a heavy bolter is alot unless you plan 2 take a unit of assult termies then leve the land raider at home

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
130 - Chaplain - digital weapons and jump pack and melta bombs Drop the dig weapons

210 - Tactical marines - 10 with sergeant with powerfist, combimelta, melta guns and a multimelta
205 - Tactical Marines - 10 powerfist, combi flamer, flamer and missile launcher
50 rhino extra armor
205- Tactical Marines - 10 with powerfist, combi flamer, flamer, missile launcher
50 rhino extra armor
you tac squads should have both flame and melta. If you give them a MG then give them a combi-flamer and vice-versa. The third squad having the MM is fine for holding a center objective

245 - Assault marines - 10 with sergeant, 2 plasma pistols and 1 powerfist I would take a flamer

265 - Land raider - extra armor is he just going to sit and shoot? Have you thought about dropping your jump packs getting a free rhino and placing them in the LR with the chap?

if the vind does not work for you what about dropping the vind and LR and getting 3 dreads in pods?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see the arguments against the raider, but I like it mainly for the AV14. It's a huge terror of a unit that requires a large quantity and quality of attention to get rid of. My opponents tend to field things like guard heavy weapon squads, and while they may bounce off of the raider, they would have an easier time picking apart predators or dreads.

I like doubling up on the flamers in squads, it helps me go from killing "some" of the gaunts or combined guard squad to "all of it". It seems like one melta wouldn't be that great for shooting, and hopefully the powerfists can crack any vehicles they run into...
that's my argument for going with them on all the sergeants.

Plasmapistols may have to go, they cost a lot, and haven't fried any of my own guys yet, but there hasn't been a clutch moment of them actually helping either.

The extra rhino idea is interesting too. Would help against my poor assault marines get ganked by blasts less, and would be one more transport to pop...

·
Registered
670 Posts
130 - Chaplain - digital weapons and jump pack and melta bombs
50 rhino extra armor
50 rhino extra armor
245 - Assault marines - 10 with sergeant, 2 plasma pistols and 1 powerfist
265 - Land raider - extra armor

Chaplain is ok.

Tact squads are ok, but consider if you fire the multi melta you cannot charge with the power fist. The melta squad also needs a rhino as you'll never get any where, plus you don't really need extra armour.

Double your assault marine units so you've got muiltple threat but more importantly unit redundancy, jump pack troops don't last long as they're in the open and because how quickly they can move.

Land raider is ok but I don't see the point in it or with extra armour. Replace it with 2 predators with autocannons and lascannons.

Vindicator is ok, but doesn't need extra armour.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Powerfists don't crack armor, hitting on 6s is fail.

Land Raiders need to carry something. TH/SS Termies rock face. Normal LR is a mess, but LRCs and LRRs are awesome.

Chaplains <<<< Librarians. Psychic defense and null zone are awesome.

If you go the Land Raider route, it's a lot of points invested in 1 unit that can be taken out by a lucky hit or just meltas. But when it works, it works wonderfully.

I'd try for something like this:

HQ
Librarian w/ Null Zone, Gate of Infinity

Elites
5 TH/SS Termies, LRC w/ MM, XA
2x Dreads w/ 2 TLAC

Troops
2x 10 Tacticals, MM, F, combi-melta, Rhino

Fast Attack
MM/HF Speeder

Heavy Support
2x Pred w/ AC, HB

Lotsa mech, lotsa dakka, flexibility and the big rock unit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. Yeah, it seems like the solution is me buying different units :p

I couldn't help but find it a little funny that Mercer noted one tactical squad doesn't have a transport to go in, and Chumbalaya commented that I have a Land Raider that has nothing to carry...
While putting that tactical squad in it isn't great, it's been seeing me off fairly well, and I like that it's more mobile units that claim objectives.

Honestly I feel like the weakest parts of this army need to see me playing Eldar or something. I don't have TLAC dreads because 1. I don't own any ( should probably remedy this, all I have are AOBR ones) and 2. because Autocannons don't seem particularly compelling against IG or Nids, the two armies I actually play against.

I use the Land Raider Classic cause that's what we have, and I like the lascannons for picking off tyranid warriors and heavy weapons squads. Is the Crusader really that nifty? I looked at the stats for hurricane bolters, shrugged and moved on.

Mercer, do you suggest splitting the squad of assault marines, or trying to take 0 or 2 at full strength? Honestly they haven't been star performers, and I would swap them out for something else nifty if I had it on hand.

Chumbalaya, I like your list, but it does include a rather pesky $200 or so of models I don't own. Better get on that. Tips for converting AOBR termies into something a little more.... hammery?

·
Registered
670 Posts
The tactical doesn't, really. See your tactical squad cannot shoot out the hatch of that land raider like they can with a land raider. So that means roll up and deploy them. That land raider is the standard variant which is better acting as a fire bunker than transport; you move it and limited firing abilites. So therefore nothing to travel in :p

Out of the land raider variants go for the crusader. The redeemer needs you to get into melta range and because the templates don't stick out much further than the land raiders hull you really need to get into face. Though the crusader you can move 6" and fire everything if you want, or move 12" and still have 24" range on the bolters or assault cannon or multi melta - so anything assaulting out doesn't need to force the land raider close because they have a 8" assault range out of the 'raider.

I would take 2 assault squads at full strength mate. Taking 5 of them won't last long, you need 20 of them tbh. If you get double units you'll find they will still get whipped but at least you have another unit of them ;)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
To upgrade your AoBR termies you could just get an old single term with an AC or Cyclone launcher. To make them assault just by the bits. I think GW sells the TH/SS conversions still.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts