Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week I am planing to play my first game with this updated codex. Here is the list I've thought out for the moment:
HQ: (445)
-CCS: (90)
-Antiaerial missile launcher
-vox

-Leman Russ Squadron: (355)
Vanquisher with a lascanon and a Tank commander
Demolisher with a lascanon.

Troops: (500)
-Vet squad (105)
2*plasma guns
Carapace armor

-Vet squad (105)
2*plasma guns
Carapace armor

-Platoon: (290)
PCS with an antiaerial missile launcher and vox (60)
2* infantry squads with a vox. (110)
Heavy weapon squad with 3* antiaerial missile launcher. (120)

Heavy: (465)
-Mantichore
-Mantichore
-Basilisk

Elites: (90)
-Tempestus scions squad with a vox (90)

After playing CSM for quite a long time, it's nice to get back to a codex, where everything is so cheap :)
I know the combined Leman Russes are not a good idea, but I really wanted to try out the Vanquisher now that it got cheaper.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't understand the point of the Scions. They won't do a lot.

You have a lot of static tanks. Your anti air is in your infantry.

The naked infantry squads won't do a lot but take objectives IF they survive.

The Vets will either die or not do a lot without a transport.

For a fluff list this will look cool. But it's competitive edge seems lacking (this may not be something which concerns you).

Essentially guards strength is everything is a threat, but I can't kill all those threats quickly. Or at least that's my impression.

Your naked infantry will be ignored. As well as your scions. Tanks will get chewed up by most armies, particularly Tau/Eldar. You have a fair amount of BS 3 anti air. The vox's aren't optimal.

Also, I feel horde armies/close combat armies that can gap close will wreck you. I do like your artillery though. That's a scary amount of Pie plates. Potentially 7 a turn if I read the rules right.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The infantry here is pretty much to take objectives and nothing else: that's why I split it up. Artillery will most likely be behind buildings split up a lot and as much in cover as possible, so that it can't be chewed up as easily.
The scions are there for a quick drop and objective contesting, also serving as a distraction.

As for the vets without transport... I planned to use them in chimeras, but I got short on points and to be honest, I really hate the new chimeras: they cost 65 points, have only 2 firing posts and don't even come with smoke grenades. That is a price I feel is totally unjustified. In sixth edition av 12 (and even worse: side armor 10) gets chewed up pretty quickly and for 60 points I can get another vet squad, that at least forces the adversary to split fire and forces.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts