Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, this 'formation' (if I can call it that) was born when I noticed Eldrad's fixed Warlord trait.
Firstly, I'll write out the list for you (I'm sorry if you don't like the fact that they have names and stuff, but my army has a bit of fluff behind it):

HQ
Warlord: Eldrad Ulthran (205)

Elites
6 Striking Scorpions of the Shrine of the Mortal Blade, including Exarch Liruieth with Scorpion's Claw and Crushing Blow Exarch power (152)

Wave Serpent with a twin-linked Scatter Laser, Crystal Tageting Matrix and Holo-fields (160)

6 Fire Dragons of the Shrine of Khaine's Burning Wrath, including Exarch Faethruin with a Dragon's Breath Flamer (142)

Troops
9 Dire Avengers of the Shrine of the Azure Flame (117)

Wave Serpent with a twin-linked Bright Lance, Crystal Targeting Matrix and Holo-fields (160)

10 Guardian Defenders and a Warlock with a Bright Lance platform (145)

Fast Attack
Crimson Hunter of the Shrine of the Ethereal Arrow with two Bright Lances and a Pulse Laser (160)

Heavy Support
Falcon with Scatter Laser, Pulse Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holo-fields and Crystal Targeting Matrix (185)

Fortifications
Aegis Defence Line with Comms Relay (70)

Total: 1496

The plan is that the Fire Dragons start in the Falcon, Eldrad joins either the Dire Avengers or the Striking Scorpions and starts in the tank with them, while the Guardians hold the Comms Relay and an Objective behind the Aegis line, sniping enemy tanks with the Bright Lance and making it more reliable that the Crimson Hunter comes on when I WANT it.
Just prior to turn 1, Eldrad's ability means that if I get first go, I can redeploy the 2 Wave Serpents and the Falcon onto the enemy's weak side. If I don't, then I can deploy them there anyway.

Turn 1: The three tanks turbo-boost forwards, using their Crystal Targeting Matrices to fire at the biggest threats. Also, Eldrad uses his Warlord trait to give the three tanks Stealth, giving them a 2+ cover save. While combat is still a worry, they are nigh invulnerable to most shooting (particularly the Wave Serpents).

Turn... whenever: Once the three tanks have been dropped, or they reach the enemy's back line, they drop off their passengers, for the Fire Dragons to fry the biggest tank in range or, if infantry, the Exarch can unleash his Flamer on them. Dire Avengers and Striking Scorpions meanwhile can deal with the main body of infantry, hopefully clearing objectives. When the Crimson Hunter arrives, it can hopefully deal with any enemy flyer, or fire at tanks. Mostly, if they don't have many tanks, I'm relying on disrupting their line enough to stop them focusing a large portion of their firepower on any one target.

Please, give me your honest thoughts on that, because I thought it was quite good (at least for dealing with my mate's mech-guard)

·
Registered
971 Posts
honestly, you haven't got enough troops choices. bin the falcon and the warlock and get some jetbikes. put the dragons in the other serpent and infiltrate the scorpions. if you're taking the aegis line and comms relay for reserve shenanigans you can have an autarch pull a similar trick.

you've got a solid base there, it just needs a bit of tweaking

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The Scorpions won't be doing anything the turn you drop them off or the turn you drive them up. That leads me to believe that a shooty aspect would be more useful for you in this scenario. But your trick would fare better by simply infiltrating their serpent into the opponent's flank.

Jams is right that another serpent would serve better than a Falcon. It will help make sure the dragons reach the other side of the board, and be as effective in the flank move.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Guardians were there for the Aegis line, but also to claim any home objectives, if necessary (if not, they've still got the platform). Would you advise another squad of Dire Avengers in the Wave Serpent in lieu of the Scorpions, then?

I don't know whether scrapping the Falcon is a good idea or not. The Falcon has some versatility in the form of the Pulse Laser, and offers roughly equal protection in the form of the 2+ cover save (not infallible, but much better than the alternative). It is however, extremely expensive.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Couple of things, your troops choices are easily negated, the Hunter is a waste and the falcon is absolutely over priced. I am not sure the META in your local area, but in mine your list would get evaporated. First off (I am assuming competitive all comers play) there are just too many ways that cover saves are ignored. Betting on that will leave you befuddled when all those marker lights, reveals, and what not turn our awesome cover saves into a sad joke. Trust me, I have been there. Two turns of shootig with Tau and you wont have jack on the board.

The basis is sound. At 1500, I would choose either the Dragons or the scorpions. Turn the Hunter into spiders, and the falcon into a Knight. Now this is just personal choice but I find that my 120 point serpents (scatter laser) are a class act. Make sure that the averngers, elite, and guardians have serpents. The crystal thing is alot of points that you really dont need to spend. Its super situational and dosnt play out all that well off of paper.

You are spending 205 points on your warlord, get the most out of those. Easy E rocks, but give his something to work with. I love to pop him in with some avengers that have an exarch so you can do some challenge shenanigans.

Ok, a little Battlescribe later I have Elderad, 6 Dragons (Firepike and Fastshot) in a serpent with scatterlaser, 10 Dire Avenders (Diresword) in a sperpent with scatter laser, 10 Guards with a brightlance in a serpent with scatter laser (one lock), 10 warpspiders, and a knight at 1347. That would allow you a perfect 3 x 3 man windrider setup. Thats a sweet list. Pop Easy in with the avengers and move them and the dragons up with the knight and empty third serpent. Have Elderad outside the serpent so he can cast Prescience or guide on the knight before he gets in. The guardians can get set up midfield for silliness. (Relentless and Battle Focus are pretty funny...for you atleast).

You have 3 serpents and a knight putting some serious pressure from turn one on. Those two wraith cannons he is packing are CRAZY good. In fact mine is dubbed Sir. Firstblood. Now, here is where you need to meta, I would turbo the full serpents and use the empty one to screen the knight and deliver some pain. Keep the bikes in reserve. The knight can dump anything on the ground, the serpents and spiders (these esp guided) will knock anything out of the sky or out of their boots. Try that on for size. The bikes are for late game contesting games.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts