Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well got a friendly game coming up (Random mission + Deploy etc), and was just after some advice on how i could improve on my army list, and yes their is a few TS troops choices in their, but those are staying ( as i dont own any models to replace them with)

So here goes:

HQ

Chaos Lord, with, mark khorne, termy armor, pair lighting claws and a personal icon

= 145

DP, with, wings, MoS, LoS

=155

Troops
7 Khorne Zerkers, 1 skull champion with powerfist
= 208

7 Thousand sons, 1 aspiring sorc, Bolt of change and Rhino transport
=258

7 Thousand sons, and Rhino transport
= 196

Heavy Support
Defiler
2 Obliterators
Chaos Land Raider, with demon poss
=540

= 1502 points

So Chaos Lord goes into raider with zekers, and DP lashes things into a killzone for the defiler etc, oblits and sorc go tank hunting.

Im mainly playing against blood angels, a dark elder team with a TON of dark lances, and a Imperial guard team, which ranges from mass swarming of Guardsmen with lascannons, to a full heavy support setup.

So any advice on changes i should be making? (Im still fairly new to 40k)

·
Registered
594 Posts
HQ

Chaos Lord, with, mark khorne, termy armor, pair lighting claws and a personal icon
I like him. Ditch the P Icon though, as nothing in this list will really be Deepstriking

= 145

=155

Troops
7 Khorne Zerkers, 1 skull champion with powerfist
= 208

7 Thousand sons, 1 aspiring sorc, Bolt of change and Rhino transport
=258
Good, although Bolt of Change might be overkill considering you have 3 Heavy Support and a DP for anti-tank. Consider Wind of Chaos, Warptime, or Doombolt.

7 Thousand sons, and Rhino transport
= 196
These guys MUST have a Sorc /w 1 power. edit this.

Heavy Support
Defiler
What weapons are you giving the Defiler?
2 Obliterators
=540

= 1502 points
Overall i like it. You need to add a Sorceror into the 2nd Tsons squad (they're required to have one), so that will throw off you point totals a bit.

I would recommend replacing your 2nd Tsons squad with a 10-man vanilla CSM squad with either Meltas or Flamers, which would save you a few points. If you do this, you should have enough to bump the other Tsons up to 8 or 9 members.

Also keep in mind that you should never go over your point totals. In friendly games it might be acceptable, but some people will probably call you on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One thing I have to say before I get into some ideas...

ALL thousand sons squads MUST take an asp sorcerer with a psychic power. Your second squad of thousand sons is not a legal choice.

Also by the looks of it, the first squad is actually

6 Thousand Sons
1 Aspiring Sorcerer
Bolt Of Change
Rhino

As you have it listed, with 1 sorcerer with Bolt Of Change and 7 sons all in a rhino, it would be 281.

If I were you, I would drop the Khorne Lord altogether, as he is going to kill himself, and even if he doesn't, with the high strength weapons you said you are facing, its only going to take a single shot to kill him. DPs are the way to go. Not only are they T5, but they are immune to instant death. Your opponent must wound them 4 times, not just wound them once with a high strength weapon. Those dark lances your friend fields will tear through the zerks with the S8 AP2, and once the lord gets hit he need to pass an invuln or suffer instant death.

Unfortunately I can't give you too many other pointers, as you need to fix the troop choices before I can recommend much else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok made a few changes,

Also concerning thousand sons, in future lists can i replace the sorc with a independent char with mark of tez? Or can this only be used once the sorc is dead and you want your squad to move at their normal speed.

HQ

Chaos Lord, with, mark khorne, pair lighting claws
= 130

=155

Troops
8 Khorne Zerkers, 1 skull champion with powerfist
= 229

6 Thousand sons, 1 aspiring sorc, Doombolt and Rhino transport
=243

10 chaos space marines, with 2 flamers, Rhino transport
=195

Heavy Support
Defiler, with 2 extra arms
2 Obliterators
=540

= 1492 points

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
the best way to play chaos is to spam the same weapons drop the oblits take another defiler. you thousand sons has to have sorcerer and it has to have a power. and why not take more thousand sons and drop the bezerkers. my oppinion to many armies have Ap1 weapons or at least a strength 9 shot. so landraiders arent that great and if youre going to take one you might aswell take terminators. my oppinion drop the terminator lord take another Daemon Prince With MoS and LoS. no you have to lashes a shit load of ap3 shots and 2 pie plates/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the best way to play chaos is to spam the same weapons drop the oblits take another defiler. you thousand sons has to have sorcerer and it has to have a power. and why not take more thousand sons and drop the bezerkers. my oppinion to many armies have Ap1 weapons or at least a strength 9 shot. so landraiders arent that great and if youre going to take one you might aswell take terminators. my oppinion drop the terminator lord take another Daemon Prince With MoS and LoS. no you have to lashes a shit load of ap3 shots and 2 pie plates/
Ok so your suggesting something like...

HQ
=155

Dp, with wings, MoS, LoS
=155

Troops
8 Thousand sons, 1 aspiring sorc, Doombolt and Rhino transport
=266

8 Thousand sons, 1 aspiring sorc, Doombolt and Rhino transport
=266

10 chaos space marines, with 2 flamers, Rhino transport
=195

Heavy Support

= 1383 points

leaving me with some points to play with. (i could drop the Tsons back to 7 + 1 sorc, and take 2 oblits)

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
well personally, since i love them, id take a dakka pred & do something with the remaining 17 points, imo a champion for the regular CSM squad

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
hmm no id boost your thousand sons and take chosen with 5 plasma guns. 2 squads in rhinos with 5 plasmas each way better they kill terminators. i love oblits but if you are going to take them take them in squads of 3 and take 9 of them thats what i do i have 9 oblits 3 defilers 3 vindicators 3 predators and 3 havoc squads with 12 lascannons. its all about spaming weapons you want to have multiple of the same unit to take care of a specific job thousand sone kill marines chosen kill armor 2 and defilers kill whats left of opened rhinos. wait thats what you are missing is long range rhino killing. i pop my enemy rhinos so i can take out priority targets while the stuff on foot hides or marches towards me. lol i also play 2500 games with 12 lascannons 6 blast masters 6 doom sirens 2 princes with lash and wings. and a squad of chosen 5 man in a rhino with 5 plasmaguns. consider the chosen iwould personally spam 3 squads of chosen considering how fatal 15 plasma guns are rapid fire. lol whiped a 10 man squad of assualt terminators with lightning claws and chaplain before they could do anything. lol worth more then all 3 squads. but yea spam remember spam.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Chosen with 5 melta may be more useful at 1,500. :mrgreen:

But chosen are the way forward :victory:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts