Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Gonna try and get back into the game. And to that I thought it would be the best course of action to sell all my former armies and just pick the one i really want to start anew. This is guardsmen.

I've always wanted to go to a GT with a guard army but never had the cash.

So, heres a start for my list.

HQ:
CCS - 4 meltas, astro. 120 (In a vendetta)

Troops:
Vets - 3 meltas in a chimera with ML/HF. 155
Vets - 3 meltas in a chimera with ML/HF. 155

Fast attack:
Vendetta 130.

Heavy support:
Executioner - side sponson plasmas, hull HB 230
Executioner - side sponson plasmas, hull HB 230
Manticore rocket launcher - 160

Total so far: 1180
(might be off as doing points from memory)
Aiming for 1500 points for UK GT-Probs attend next year as cba to rush for this year (if its still possible). Also, they haven't announced any plans to update the rulebook/IG codex have they?

Thoughts for progress of list: More vendettas (at least 1). another CCS to go into said vendetta but with no astro?

Or possibly more troops? Or pie plates from MRPs?

All critique and thoughts/suggestions are appreciated and welcomed.
TA!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi BBM,

That's a nice list you got there. It's certainly a good basis for expansion into 1500 and 1700 lists.

My thoughts on your list:
-CCS; you don't want it in a detta if your also playing chimeras. The CCS would greatly profit from a chimera, because it's a moving bunker, from which they can shoot their waepons AND they can give orders to other (veteran) units. So unless your thinking 'kamikaze' with this unit, give it a chimera.

-Melta vets in chimera; They're awesome, but also consider plasma veterans when expanding this army to 1500/1700pts. Plasma veterans with orders are great against monstrous creatures (even light armour) and the twin-link orders will keep you alive, because you get to re-roll overheats. I'd consider upgrading one unit of melta vets with demolitions. It's an awesome unit for alphastrikes against AV14 armour. (If you get to go first and your opponent isn't paying attention when deploying.)

-Executioner with plasma sponsons; greatest terminator killer ever! The 36" range makes it (imho) better than the demolisher, which gets really close and personal. I'd give the executioner a heavy flamer. You don't want to use the HB at range (wound allocation abuse) and when things get really tight a HF just clears the battle field that much faster. (I've used this setup last saturday during a tournament and is worked wonders.)

-Vendetta; this model is such a fire magnet... it's great! Just don't leave home with just one. You'll need two at least and I run my mechanised lists with three. I feel you really need that many, because your opponent will literally throw everything (and the kitchen sink) at them!!! Resulting in a lot of shaken/stunned=shaken results. So you need a lot of vendettas to get any lascannon shots off.

On your questions:
-I don't think you'll see a new IG codex soon.
-More vendettas are a real good addition.
-Pie plates should come from your HS slots.
-A second CCS is a possibility, but only after you have 4 solid troop choices for claiming missions.
-Yes, you need more troop choices. Most people will suggest 1 per 300/500pts. I feel a 1500pts list needs at least 5 to 6 choices. Although is abuse 1 PCS and 2 infantry squads to make my three vendettas claiming units.

For expanding to 1700pts I suggest:
-Demolitions on 1 melta vet squad (+30)
-Chimera for the CCS (+55)
-Plasma veterans with chimera (+170)
-Vendetta (+130)
-Vendetta (+130) or valkyrie if you want to try it sometime

In that case you'll only have 3 troop choices and that will make claiming missions a b*tch. You could kick one unit of melta vets (or the plasma vets) and buy yourself a platoon with 1 flamer(x4)-PCS and 2 naked infantry squads.

Good luck!

PS: I must admit that lately I feel ordnance is much more effective in clearing the table than the mech-vet lists are. My mech-vets tend to get assaulted a lot lately.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
You will definately need more troops @ 1500 points; I would say three *minimum* but if you can squeeze in four, all the better. Make sure you have some plasmaguns in there for taking down TEQ/MC's.

You won't have to worry about an updated IG codex; we got one last year and I doubt we'll get another for 5 or so years.

oooh... sniped :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, here it is amended. (points may be off)

HQ:
CCS - 4 meltas, astro, chimera with ML/HF. 175
Troops:
Vets - 3 plasma in a chimera with ML/HF. 170
Vets - 3 meltas. 100 (to go in vendetta)
Vets - 3 meltas. 100 (to go in vendetta)

Fast attack:
Vendetta 130.
Vendetta 130.

Heavy support:
Executioner - side sponson plasmas, hull HF 230
Executioner - side sponson plasmas, hull HF 230
(taken off manticore)

Total so far: 1435

Possibly sly marbo for 65 points to possible do some damage?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Marbo is a good buy for 65 points. I use him a lot to distract Long Fang squads in the back field.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the side sponsons on the Executioners - I don't like my tanks to remain stationary (well, not 230 point tanks anyway) then again, I play against space wolves a lot with wolf scouts w/meltabombs...

The only other thing I would say is that the Vendettas are gunships; best used for sitting back and sniping away for the first couple of turns - putting meltavets in them doesn't sit right with me as you're either not using the meltavets by keeping them in the transport, or you're not using the vendetta's to full potential by using them as transports.

This also raises the question of outflanking with them which is what I assume you paid out for the astropath for, which means you will lose the critical alpha-strike from not having them on the board turn 1, assuming first turn.
If you took off one of the plasma sponsons and the astropath + some of the spare points from not getting Marbo, you can buy transports for both meltavet squads; giving you another 4 heavy weapons, mobile melta and still keeping all the firepower of the vendettas.

I think your best bet for now is to chuck in Marbo and then play some test games to see what works, what doesn't then adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, here it is amended again. (points may be off)

HQ:
CCS - 4 meltas, chimera with ML/HF. 145
Troops:
Vets - 3 meltas. in a chimera with ML/HF. 155
Vets - 3 meltas. in a chimera with ML/HF. 155

Fast attack:
Vendetta 130.
Vendetta 130.

Heavy support:
Executioner - hull HF 190
(taken off manticore)

Total so far: 1435

Was thinking possibly reduce one executioner to a standard Lemon crust, with the points saved, (45??) get something else?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi BBM,

I always recommend you to take an astropath. Being able to keep everything in reserve and roll on with a 3+ from turn 2 is a pretty powerfull strategic option. So you spent 30pts.

I'd then suggest you upgrade one of the melta vet squads with the demolitions upgrade. So you spent another 30pts.

That will give you a very nice list. Depending on your gaming environment you might sometimes exchange 1 unit of melta vets for the Manticore. The manticore is awesome against armour with S10 2d6 (pick the highest) AP and hitting side armour with a direct hit.

Good luck playing!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Imagine playing someone with a 'mechanised' list or a list that includes one or more landraiders (or stormlords) with terminators. Now if you get the first turn and your opponents deploys his armour, you can get an alpha-strike.

The alpha-strike means that you deploy the demo-vets unit in a vendetta and scout move (turboboost) that vendetta 12" from the tank(s) you want to destroy. You then pray your opponents doesn't 'seize the innitiative' and suddenly in turn one you disembark a unit demo-vets near the tank(s). You have a 2" disembark, 6" move, you shoot your meltaguns and then 6" assault the tank(s). Always try to multi-charge as many tanks as possible. Because every veteran model has meltabombs and the enemy tanks haven't moved yet, you get 10 auto-hit S8+2d6 attacks on the enemy armour. No landraider is going to survive that onslaught.

Effectively a demo-melta alpha-strike means you'll exchange your (cheap) unit against one or more serious tanks (landraiders, vindicators, predators, leman russes, etc). It means you will be able to change the flow of the game from the first turn by taking out a real threat.

Most competent opponents will see your alpha-strike coming, but that just means they will to deploy more safely (meat shielding their armour) and your already winning the mindwar and distracting your opponent.

The 30pts demolitions upgrade is a very cheap and effective 'fear factor' weapon. I've even noticed that if you don't alpha-strike your opponent... no one wants to come near a unit with 12" movement and 10 meltabomb attacks. So the demo-unit creates a no-go area near itself for tanks.

Greetz

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats convinced me. But i thought the dedicated chimera with the squad had to deploy with them? EG they cant be mounted up in the vendetta to start, they either have to be 2" from chimera or in it?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nope,

The dedicated transport can at the start of the game only be used by the unit that bought it. So you can't buy a chimera for a CCS and then deploy a PCS in it at the start. (You can set the PCS up next to the chimera and use your first movement turn to get into it and drive off.)

There is nothing preventing a unit that bought a dedicated transport from completely ignoring it and hitching a ride on a non-dedicted transport, like a vendetta.

This is at least the way I've played it the last year and no-one (including tournament players) have ever objected against this. And I know my tournament players, they know the rules by heart and won't let a change to flaunt their knowledge pass.

Greetz

·
Registered
339 Posts
I like the way you changed your mind on the demo vets Imperial Protector!!!!
This list looks great as a mech list. I tried the manticore for the first time last night and am definitely putting one in my army full time. I always liked the LR over the manticore for the armour values, but the sheer destruction the Manticore can produce even if it only gets 1 shot in the game is worth it. Again it is one of those models that makes your opponent react to you.....

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
This list looks great as a mech list. I tried the manticore for the first time last night and am definitely putting one in my army full time. I always liked the LR over the manticore for the armour values, but the sheer destruction the Manticore can produce even if it only gets 1 shot in the game is worth it. Again it is one of those models that makes your opponent react to you.....
Lower AV is something people worry about too much -
The thing about choosing to take Artillery in a list is to realise that it is used in a different way to Russes - they are an alpha-strike unit that is on the board to do massive damage in the first few turns, and then if it gets destroyed after doing that then so what. My Russes don't do half the damage my Artillery does even if they last the entire game...well maybe the Executioner, that can come close sometimes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My 2 favourite units in the game - the vendetta and my executioner!!!! Demolisher 3rd and Manticore climbing up the rankings.....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Did I change my mind? In what regard and in comparison to when?
I've used demo/melta-vets in many a battle. In some lists just not.

The manticore is indeed a great weapon, but I've also had battles in which I got three templates every turn and killed nothing more than a simple rhino because of disastrous scatters. Win some, lose some.

My MVP's:
1. Vendetta; because of fear factor/fire magnet
2. LR executioner; tank with awesome killing power
3. Veterans; they claim, they kill, they shine

The CCS is great because of the orders. The manticore is also great with S10. Don't like the demolisher because of the short range.

Greetz

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, here it is amended again hopefully for last time, falling short of play testing and amending. (points may be off)

HQ:

Troops:
Vets - 3 meltas, demo experts in a chimera with ML/HF. 185
Vets - 3 meltas in a chimera with ML/HF. 155*
(*interchangeable with a manticore)

Fast attack:
Vendetta 130.
Vendetta 130.

Heavy support:

Total so far: 1495 (1500 with manticore)

This list doesn't have to mech, i'm not looking for a theme, I was just under the impression it was more competitive? Any input with regards to this is appreciated. (going competetive in mind cause im done with fluffy themed lists that get pantsed on by even a basic tourney list).

Thanks for all your input and advice etc it has really helped me to refine this list into something that works for me. Now just gotta check out my finances and ooooh and aaaar over whether i should buy!

·
Registered
261 Posts
The list you propose is rock solid.

It's a very competitive tournament list. (As long as the rulespack doesn't say it's all about kill points, because then you'll be *beep*.)

All IG lists I see on tournaments are mech. Vendettas, leman russ variants and artillery always feature in them. When you take this list to 1700pts I'd consider getting a infantry platoon. 150pts will get you a PCS with 4 flamers in another chimera and 2 naked infantry platoons to sit in your dettas and make them scoring. In 1700... I do play 3 dettas, because they just soak up so much firepower and you want at least one flying at the end the battle for turboboost/claiming.

Greetz

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Great competitive list, although you could easily swap out one of the Executioners for a LRBT with Plasma Sponsons and the list wouldn't suffer.

When /if you build higher lists I second what Imperialprotector said about including a Platoon, especially about putting something in the Vendettas to make them scoring...I use SWS's myself as I prefer to actually have an Infantry blob on the ground to help guard against DS'ers, etc, with my PCS in a Chimera with 4 SW's (Flamers usually, but sometimes 4 Meltas)) for quick-reaction capability.

My mvp's are Vendettas, Hydras, Executioner, Vets w/SW's, and whatever speciality Artillery I take..Manticore been the pick but the Medusa and Collossus also do fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, here it is amended for a possible altnerate. (points may be off)

HQ:

Troops:

Fast attack:
Vendetta 130.
Vendetta 130.

Heavy support:
manticore. 160

Total so far: 1495

This gives me an artillery peice with the killiness of the plasma tank and 2x alpha strike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts