- Flamestorm Cannons

Devastator squad I
5 Marines
- 4x Missile Launchers

Devastator squad II
5 Marines
- 4x Missile Launchers

So, What do you think? :biggrin:

The thing I'm must unsure about is the Baals. The idea is to just get up close and personal as fast as possible and do as much damage as possible before the inevitable demise. I haven't bought any of the Baals yet either so I'm open for suggestions. :scratchhead:

Feel free to shred the list! (I'm not going mech though :p)

Cheers guys!
Dan

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Your gonna need way more Scoring units, if not in a different Composition!

I have been trying to think of a list, and so far i think I'm on to something, i'll post in a bit :D

Looks like we're learning together, dan. ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
think the points costs for the RAS is off, 235 for 2 melta guns and a PF.

cant help feeling only 2 tanks in a list, means every heavy weapon will be on them first 2 turns, seems like a waste tbh.. so i would get another RAS squad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like we are ROT! :biggrin:

An you're totally right Sanguinius Noob (man I feel bad calling you that... :scratchhead: ). I misscounted, 235 for a RAS with 2 MG and a PF.

Anyway, since your inputs were to few scoring units and that my Baals were a bit of a waste, here's a revised list:

Librarian
- Jump pack
* Blood Lance
* Sword/Shield

Honour Guard
5 Honour Guards
- Jump packs
- 4x Meltaguns

Assault squad I
10 Marines
- PF
- 2x Meltaguns

Assault squad II
10 Marines
- PF
- 2x Meltaguns

Assault squad III
10 Marines
- PF
- 2x Flamers

Sanguinary Priests
2 Priests
- Jump packs
- Powerweapons

Devastator squad I
6 Marines
- 4x Missile Launchers

Devastator squad II
6 Marines
- 4x Missile Launchers

How about that? Removed the Baals, put in another RAS and added another marine in each of the DEV squads.

Dan

·
Registered
57 Posts
LOVE IT i need to make it ten charcters to post so this.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I like it. Second List is much better alright. I wouldn't do much to change it. Good Job :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, thank you all for your input! Now i know exactly what to buy next! :biggrin:

Cheers!
Dan

·
Registered
282 Posts
The only thing I would change would be removing the power weapon from the sanguinary priests and buying some hand flamers or inferno pistols with the points instead. You don't want the SP in CC, since they are independent characters and they can be singled out.

Another option would be dropping the power weapons and one of the RAS and getting some Vanguard Veterans instead. The Heroic intervention makes a great difference when you get to tie some shooty element (e.g. devastators) in melee.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, working on another list with the changes you suggested, Elkanthas. I don't know if I've mentioned this but I haven't played that much with BA at all. So I've got some questions....
First, Elkanthas, you suggest to remova a RAS when ROT suggested to add it to get more scoring units. Which one should I trust? :p
Second, Elkanthas, why shouldnt I let my SangPs join a RAS? If they're all alone can't they quite easily be put down by a shooting unit? Espicially if they're as awesome as everyone says.
And third, once again Elkanthas, say i get some Vanguard Veterans. What should i equip them with for them to be most effective?

And thanks for the suggestions, Elkanthas! I love to "build" armies! :eek:k:

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm actually a fan of putting PW's on priests if points allow. It's likely they are going to be in base to base no matter how careful you are with them, and I'd rather give them the chance of taking out as much as they can (especially if I'm the one charging in,
WS5/I5/S5 can be pretty devestating).

My favorite set up is a JP libby w/ Shield of Sanguinius and Unleashed Rage powers, a priest w/ PW, and 10 man RAS 2x melta/flamer and PF. You can have two squads of this pretty comfortably in a 1500 point game and they can really bring the pain to you're enemies. I do try and always bring at least 3 squads of ASM in a n all JP list, it limits what else you can bring but it's vital I've found to have all those scoring boots in the air.

The Baal pred's did feel a little out of place, but could be workable in the army if you like them. If you get first turn then put them on the table have them scout move and pop smoke then unleash a hell on turn 1, alternately if you go second they can always stay in reserve and outflank to keep them from being the only AV target on the board.

It's also worth mentioning that if you can spare the 50 points a priest in the back field with you're dev's maks them pretty much immune to anything but anti-tank firepower and they should have a cover save for those shots.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My favorite set up is a JP libby w/ Shield of Sanguinius and Unleashed Rage powers, a priest w/ PW, and 10 man RAS 2x melta/flamer and PF. You can have two squads of this pretty comfortably in a 1500 point game and they can really bring the pain to you're enemies.
Oh man! I really like this idea! I'm definitely going to try this out! :grin:

Anyway, I'm starting to feel kinda bad for occupying the top of this sub-forum this long! So I want to say thanks for all the constructive advice that you've given me. On some other forums I've been to this would've been a troll thread long ago...

Cheers! :)
Dan

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well, I'm afraid I only check the forums from work, so I don't have the costs of things, but I'll justify the changes:

First of all, the SPs should always be attached to a squad (did I say otherwise?)

That cleared up, the SPs are ICs, so when they are in CC the wounds caused by models in base to base contact with them are allocated directly to them, and cannot be soaked by the rest of the squad. Therefore, putting them in the frontline to make good use of that power weapon brings a high risk of getting them killed and thus loosing the force multiplier of your somewhat expensive model.

I mean, if there's nothing else you can get with those 30 points it's pretty fine, some PW attacks with decent I are always welcome, but I tend to get them out of base to base, even leaving "trails" of models of multiple units towards my priests. I guess It's a habit of playing with nids and needing the synapse aura.

Then about removing a RAS... I'm not going to lie, having only two scoring units is tough for objectives games (2/3 of the games), but I didn't want to remove the devastators because the VV can perform a similar role to a RAS, after all, and you have a nice redundancy there with your two devastator units.

I love your second army and it's pretty close to what I run myself at 1500 points when I go Jump-pack instead of rhino/razorback

The suggestion to get the VV is simply something you can try, and because depending on your metagame they can be incredibly effective to protect the rest of the army:
  • They enter and actually choose their target, probably even achieving a multi-assault
  • They can remove dangerous shooty elements, such as artillery platforms, Jump suits, dark reapers, devastators, shooty walkers, Lootaz, etc
  • They can create a blob of close combat that grants cover to the rest of your troops

If you want them to survive you want them to avoid completely eliminating the enemies, but to be killy enough to minimize the return attacks, so don't make the squad overly large.

Storm shields do wonders to drag the combat longer keeping things tied until the rest of your force has joined in, and having at least a thunder hammer ensures that if you get a multi attack with a vehicle you will shut its shooting for a round, so I'd say 7 VV, 1 TH, 2SS and 2PW. (I don't know the costs, I'm away from the codex right now, they should clock in at around 300 pts).

Just give them a try a game or two and tell me how they did.

Cheers!
Elk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts