Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

• Sorcerer (195pts) Champion of Chaos, Independent Character, Psyker
    2x Additional Mastery Level, Mark of Tzeentch, Melta bombs, Sigil of corruption, Spell familiar
    • Terminator Armour Combi-bolter, Force Weapon
  • Chaos Terminators (175pts) Deep Strike
    Mark of Tzeentch, Terminator
    • Terminator Powerfist
    • Terminator Chainfist
    • Terminator Champion Combi Bolter, Powerfist
  • Chaos Cultists (63pts) Champion of Chaos
    8x Autogun, Champion's upgrade, Heavy stubber, 10x Squad models (champion included)
  • Chaos Cultists (57pts) Champion of Chaos
    8x Autopistol, Flamer, 10x Squad models (champion included)
    • Champion's upgrade Cultist Champion's Shotgun
  • Thousand Sons (Troops) (305pts) Fearless, Mark of Tzeentch, Slow and Purposeful, Veterans of the Long War
    9x Thousand Son
    • Aspiring Sorcerer Melta Bombs
    • Chaos Rhino Repair
      Combi-bolter, Searchlight, Smoke launchers
  • Thousand Sons (Troops) (315pts) Fearless, Mark of Tzeentch, Slow and Purposeful, Veterans of the Long War
    9x Thousand Sons
    • Aspiring Sorcerer Melta Bombs
    • Chaos Rhino Repair
      Combi-bolter, Combi-flamer,-melta,-plasma (10pts), Searchlight, Smoke launchers
  • Defiler (195pts) Daemon, Daemonforge, Fleet, It Will Not Die
    Daemonic possession, Heavy Flamer, Reaper Autocannon
  • Defiler (195pts) Daemon, Daemonforge, Fleet, It Will Not Die
How does this list look for a tournament?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im not so sure, but:
Take helldrakes, they are pretty powerfull.
Are you sure in 1000 sons? I understand, that it is Tzeentch Army, but they are pretty week for their cost.
Also there is no use in autoguns and champ upgrades. Cultists become more expensive but not more powerfull.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I run a similar set up with a few differences.
I go without termie armour on my sorcerer (as u actually lose an attack doing so since combi-bolter isnt a pistol so no +1 for two ccw, and a 3++ is just as effective as termie armour IMO and is the same price as a Sigil to get ur 3++ if ur Tzeentch)
I run 3 Thousand sons squads, with two heldrakes and two forgefiends as the rest.
Its never lost yet and when i do come across a farseer (or similar problematic unit that stunuts my armys power) i just pump my heldrakes and forgefiends into the unit until its dead.
The difference it makes when all of a sudden ur asp-champs are pumping out str8 ap1 beams and ur sorcerer is being booned and buffed to MC stats freak out ur opponent so much they panic and make mistakes, which is when ur ap3 bolers and heldrakes close the noose.

With ur list i would drop a cultists squad and the rhinos on the sons (they dont really need it as they will march across the board pretty much untouched anyway by my experiences with them) and try to squeeze in a Helldrake with bale flamer.
Reserve the remaining Cultist squad so u can grab home objective late game, and watch as ur opponents marine killing weapons bounce off ur invuns.

Defilers are nice but majorly expancive, u can get an allied soulgrinder that is better armoured and does the same job for way less points. I would swap for forgefiends with AP2 Blasts as this list Lacks AP2 weapons apart from ur termies in cc, ur sons can deal with everything else.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
As has already been mentioned, too many upgrades on Cultists: Only ever run them naked in 50pt squads, hold them in reserve, then walk them on and grab a backfield objective late game. Blobs can work with a fearless character (or if you go zombie with Typhus), but are overpriced and so many units do their job better.

I disagree about dropping the rhinos: In competitive games where I didn't run them with my 1ksons, I got beaten. They are just so slow without rhinos it's easy for your opponent to race upto them with rapid fire weapons and other small arms fire and destroy them: Small arms fire is the bane of 1ksons. Rhinos make it much easier to avoid this...Of course, if you get Master of Deception warlord trait you can infiltrate them which negates there slowness, but since you aren't taking Ahriman this doesn't really apply.

I wouldn't bother with sigil of corruption AND terminator armour: Nothing wrong with a 3++ 2+ but it becomes very expensive. Either go power armour + tzeentch mark + sigil or just terminator armour + mark of tzeentch for the 4++ 2+. I'd advise the latter, as you are paying around the same for a better base save of 2+, which is more valuable than a 3+. PLUS a 'free' force sword.

Your Terminators seem to lack a focused build and role: If you are only taking 3, i'd just give them all combi-meltas, and deep strike them for a dedicated termicide squad. You may as well give your champion a power axe, since it's free and in the absence of any enemy armour might come in useful in challenges. Then maybe give 1 a chainfist, with the final one a lighting claw, just incase they do survive more than a turn.

You really need another solid troops choice. Also, get rid of the Defilers (too expensive) and maybe add a squad of Havocs or get some Obliterators.

You also need anti-flier units: flakk missiles with Havocs, or ADL with Quad or Icarus, OR Heldrake.

I'd break down the squads of Thousand Sons into 7, and run 3 of them. Get rid of all the pointless Rhino upgrades. Keep a squad of 10 Cultists in reserve. Get a Heldrake. Then some Oblits or Havocs.
Or you could go the Daemon Allies route: Get some Pink Horrors, put them behind a Aegis with Quad or Icarus, and Go to Ground and get a re-rollable 2+ cover save on your home objective. :) That is a cheap 90pt 3rd troop choice that is a bitch to remove. Add a herald of tzeentch for prescience for Havocs, Obliterators, Icarus, Quad Gun etc. Very useful for 45pts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is actually a mistake in the list there should be a fourth terminator with just a power sword. I tried playing a battle without any rhinos against the tau and I couldn't get close enough to fight any of them and my thousand sons were taken out at range. The reason my sorcerer is buffed out so much is because a lot of the people I play against use hq choices meant to take out 2+ armor so I give my Sorcerer as many saves as I can and a force axe.

·
Registered
682 Posts

Sorcerer (195pts) Champion of Chaos, Independent Character, Psyker
2x Additional Mastery Level, Mark of Tzeentch, Melta bombs, Sigil of corruption, Spell familiar, Terminator Armour Combi-bolter, Force Weapon
I don't know what role you want for this guy, sorc's are pretty squishy so if you are going to run him as a CC unit (I assume he drops with the terminators) then get rid of the meltabombs. You also don't need to give him a Sigil and Terminator Armour. Give him one or the other depending on his role and who is going to be his Retinue. If he is going CC then go with the 3++ otherwise run with Termie Armour. Make sure his Force weapon is a force-sword.

Chaos Terminators (175pts) Deep Strike
Mark of Tzeentch, Terminator
Terminator Powerfist
Terminator Chainfist
Terminator Champion Combi Bolter, Powerfist
What does this squad do? At present it seems like a CC unit with anti-tank roles due to the fists. If you are going to use them as a suicide unit then they need to have Combi-meltas for when they deepstrike. Otherwise they are going to land and get blasted as they stand around, or they will be charged by mooks and die before they get to strike back. If they are your Sorcs retinue you need to rethink the loadout. Make them shooty for the turn they show up or add a few more termies with PW's or LC's. The champion should have a lightning claw so you can offer him up for duels.

Chaos Cultists (63pts) Champion of Chaos
8x Autogun, Champion's upgrade, Heavy stubber, 10x Squad models (champion included)
Run this as a 50pt squad with no upgrades that is held in reserve to run towards an object around turn 3 .

Chaos Cultists (57pts) Champion of Chaos
8x Autopistol, Flamer, 10x Squad models (champion included)
Champion's upgrade Cultist Champion's Shotgun
As above, run this squad barebones with the idea they follow the other cultist unit so that your opponent has to commit at least two different units to shoot them away.

Thousand Sons (Troops) (305pts) Fearless, Mark of Tzeentch, Slow and Purposeful, Veterans of the Long War
9x Thousand Son
Aspiring Sorcerer Melta Bombs
Chaos Rhino Repair
Combi-bolter, Searchlight, Smoke launchers
Give the Rhino a Dirge Caster so it can lock down units from over-watching your CC termies / sorc.

Thousand Sons (Troops) (315pts) Fearless, Mark of Tzeentch, Slow and Purposeful, Veterans of the Long War
9x Thousand Sons
Aspiring Sorcerer Melta Bombs
Chaos Rhino Repair Combi-bolter, Combi-flamer,-melta,-plasma (10pts), Searchlight, Smoke launchers
I think you need to reconsider this squad. You are really really lacking anti-armour outside of Melta bombs and CC. Maybe take a 10 man CSM squad with 2 special weapons. Or if you run the warlord with Sigil and Power-armor, drop them to a x9 and give them extra CC weapons with the points of the dropped marine, they can be his meat-shield body guard. The Rhino has to have a Dirge Caster if you run it this way too. Then run the termies as suicide tank-busters.

Or: consider a 5 man havoc team with Flakk Missiles and an Aegis defense line for anti-tank / flyer options.

Defiler (195pts) Daemon, Daemonforge, Fleet, It Will Not Die, Daemonic possession, Heavy Flamer, Reaper Autocannon
Interesting stuff, I can't comment on Defilers because I never use them so running 1 may be an interesting wild-card.

Defiler (195pts) Daemon, Daemonforge, Fleet, It Will Not Die
You need to drop this for a Helldrake with a Bale-flamer. It's cheaper, more effective and a must.

Other things to consider:

Obliterators can help supplement your anti-armour which is where this list suffers the most.

Consider a bike-based sorcerer with a retinue instead of the terminators, may be an interesting unit for your opponent to deal with.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard I need to change my sorcerer to something cheaper and that I should run a heldrake. What do people think of running a deflier though? Or two?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most people dislike them because they are unnecessarily expensive. I like them for fun games, but as soon as I go semi-competitive, they are the first thing dropped from my list.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use my defiler in most of my battles unless they are two low point because they are the best ranged weapon I have. They can fight at any range and be good at it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you want a defiler take daemon allies and chuck in a soulgrinder with phlegm bombardment. dirt cheap with better armour and skyfire option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts