Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as i sit and work my way through this ummm book? im trying to find the combos that i like..its quite difficult..im trying to create at picture in my mind of the nid attacking from every angle..sides/rear/air/and front. im still "trying" to keep it swarmish but needing so much synapse now its tough..
so the theory of this list is to keep the enemy wasting turns shooting or running and trying to corner them.
to achieve this objective placement will be critical.. so heres my list

HQ: 2 flyrants
wings
old adversary/hive commander
t/l devs
L/B swords 550

TROOP:2 15 H/guants t/s 240
2 x 10 t/guants devoures 160 out flank both

ELITES: 2x zones
2x zones
haurospex 370

HEAVY: 1 x mawloc 140

id love to have 2 mawlocs but need the points else where.
so the idea is t/gaunts outflank flyrants fly up middle to harrass and then assault/ zoanes h/spex and h/guant run up the middle. zoanes try to pop tanks so the others can run and gobble. the mawloc to drop and do hi thing.

bear in mind this is untested and just a theory while still trying to keep my style of play alive.

in the future i would swap a t/guant to a carnefex and outflank them with devs and add more h/guants and a mawloc and exocrine.

so thoughts??

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Terrifying, but the troops department looks a little shaky. It looks like you'll be pretty 'in your face' from turn 1 with those flyrants though, so perhaps the troops won't be an issue... just remember to put your objective where you are hoping to end up instead of on your side of the board!

This list should see good use from the mawloc, drawing everything in tight to deal with a spear-thrust behind the flyrants, only to be devoured from below. Interested to hear how it goes in a game and how you chose to play it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i agree with the troops but its really an all or nothing list..or codex...and hey nids to care about objectives any way...lol

·
Registered
467 Posts
Personally I am not impressed with the haurospex, I think it should be a CC fex instead. With the points saved add some more gaunts?

I also find old adversary so be a points waste. Rerolling 1s in CC is just not that helpful IMO. Which again, could mean more bodies. Perhaps also 3 zoans instead? Again, using the extra points for more bodies?

That all being said, this is a hard codex to play so I guess it will come down to you just being the better player.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Rerolling 1s can be a big deal, especially when you are almost guaranteed to be hitting on 3s and wounding on 2s, unless you are chasing down the monster killers deliberately...

·
Registered
467 Posts
I agree to an extent. It basically means only 2s are a waste. But his shooting is already TL so it's just CC. With only 5 attacks on the charge I feel the points could be better spent elsewhere. But of course that is just my opinion and my play style.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the reason i use it is because when i run the dice the amount of of 1's that pop up are quite alot. and now with the change to bone swords i want more chances to roll 6"s where as before it didn't matter to much. and its cheap enough to include

·
Registered
358 Posts
i ran the haurospex in a game the other day it munched up some zerkers and landraider and a vindicator so i like it just needs to have regen

·
Registered
467 Posts
the reason i use it is because when i run the dice the amount of of 1's that pop up are quite alot. and now with the change to bone swords i want more chances to roll 6"s where as before it didn't matter to much. and its cheap enough to include
Fair enough.

how have you come to this opinion?? play tested or just looked at paper?
Looked at paper. Understandably, go ahead and playtest it. I very much could be wrong and it fits your play style. Just my 2 cents as you asked for thoughts. The reason I say it, based on paper, is I like a CC fex over the haruspex, but I like a dakkafex even more. However, trying to be true to what you said you wanted in the list. To me, haruspex is using up an elite spot (I want other things there). I think acid blood is not a good biomorph ( it's not bad for free, but typically we want our models not to be dying). I don't know the ruling on crushing claws being unwieldy on MCs (could be in the dex or brb) but if they are unwieldy, I personally do not like that at all and if they are not you will be striking last for charging through cover as there is no option for spine banks, and need adrenal glands (fex needs this too but again, I argue in favor of the dakkafex anyway). For the price of the haruspex you can have a fex with spine banks and bioplasma and adrenal. With 5 attacks on the charge, an arguably better if not equal shooting attack, strike at initive, be str 10, and get d3 str 9 hammer hits. Granted you lose one wound and cannot regain them or get attacks back. However, you get the option of running broods, you free up an elites slot (Zoans or venoms here) which can help keep the beasty alive.

Of course, like I said, I have yet to use it. It's opinion and playstyle. I like to keep units cheap, old advesary and the haruspex doesn't fit my style because of that.

Those are my thoughts and I hope if you playtest it, it performs well :)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fair enough.

Looked at paper. Understandably, go ahead and playtest it. I very much could be wrong and it fits your play style. Just my 2 cents as you asked for thoughts. The reason I say it, based on paper, is I like a CC fex over the haruspex, but I like a dakkafex even more. However, trying to be true to what you said you wanted in the list. To me, haruspex is using up an elite spot (I want other things there). I think acid blood is not a good biomorph ( it's not bad for free, but typically we want our models not to be dying). I don't know the ruling on crushing claws being unwieldy on MCs (could be in the dex or brb) but if they are unwieldy, I personally do not like that at all and if they are not you will be striking last for charging through cover as there is no option for spine banks, and need adrenal glands (fex needs this too but again, I argue in favor of the dakkafex anyway). For the price of the haruspex you can have a fex with spine banks and bioplasma and adrenal. With 5 attacks on the charge, an arguably better if not equal shooting attack, strike at initive, be str 10, and get d3 str 9 hammer hits. Granted you lose one wound and cannot regain them or get attacks back. However, you get the option of running broods, you free up an elites slot (Zoans or venoms here) which can help keep the beasty alive.

Of course, like I said, I have yet to use it. It's opinion and playstyle. I like to keep units cheap, old advesary and the haruspex doesn't fit my style because of that.

Those are my thoughts and I hope if you playtest it, it performs well :)
you make great comments to and for... and i agree with most of it.....as i havent used this yet..i will be interested in how it preforms(if it preforms) lol..the problem i have with this version of the dex is competition between elite and heavy just too many choices

1 - 11 of 11 Posts