Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey, sorry about the delay in reply, I've had a weekend away from the internet in Center Parks.

Anyways, Cheers for the comments, I posted the wrong total pts

The squad is:

6 Jetbikes, 2 Shuriken cannons, + Warlock Enhance + Spear 215pts.

The list it 1500 on the dot.

Hmm, whats MVPs lol.

-Rob

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for cleaering that up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
No worries mate, :).

I just need to get batteling now, and I plan to attend the X-Legion tourny with this list, so yeah, play testing is on the agenda now.

Cheers for all your help, much apprecated.

-Rob

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just a quick update on the list...

Autarch - LL, MB, FG, JB
6x Harlequins - 6HKs, Shadowseer
6x Fire Dragons - Exarch, CS, DBF
3x Jetbikes - Shuriken cannon + Warlock, Singing spear, Enhance
3x Jetbikes - Shuriken cannon
1 Vyper - Missile launcher, Shuriken cannon
1 Vyper - Scatter Laser, Shuriken cannon
1 Vyper - Scatter Laser, Shuriken cannon
1 Falcon (all upgrades), Scatter Laser, Shuriken cannon
1 Falcon (all upgrades), Star cannon, Shuriken cannon
1 Fire Prism (all upgrades) Shuriken cannon

I fought a drop guard list the other day and won at a canter, i lost 2 of the vypers, the fire dragons and 1 unit of Jetbikes. I killed everything and claimed all 4 quaters. It was a fun game if a little lucky, Harlequins in combat by turn 2 and stayed there jumping from unit too unit killing tons of stuff with the Vypers mopping up, while he shook the falcons and FP, until turn 4 where he changed tac and took out the Vypers and then the Falcons + FP destroyed everything else, along with the firedragons until they hit the wrong end of a earthshaker shot... still, a great battle, just a matter of riding my luck with the plasma just shaking the falcons lots and lots of times until turn 4 where he was running out of troops to drop in and decided to grab as many VPs as possible.

lessons learnt, i should of protected the Fire Dragons better, i just dropped them off by a LR not really considering what could happen other than them taking out a tank, threw away a unit of JB's (tried a rear armour shot on Leman Russ... but failed and were left in the open to be ripped to pieces by a heavy bolter squad, and I should of protected the Vypers as well, but I spaced them out and he was able to drop a squad by each one and was able to take them out, where as i feel i could of kept them together and that would of increased the chances of them dropping into each other or into the Vypers...

Changes to the list...

None atm, the list worked very well against a damn hard army, controlled by a decent player, so, i will see how it goes.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good to hear and I am glad that we worked that all out. I told you that if used right the army could be solid and like you said, a few more games and you should have it figured out completely so that it is rock solid. One thing I will say though. In general if you aim for a victory (not a massacre) then you will win more often; and propably even get quite a few massacres due to the luck factor....

Please do keep me informed as to the progress of this list, I know that there are a few tweeks that could be made; but like you said, if its working for you - then leave it alone - as playstyle is also a factor.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Another game played (Friday), this time against mecha Eldar also.

His list:
Farseer on JB, Eldrich Storm, Doom, Witchblade, Stones
5 Fire Dragons
10 Howling Banshees + Wave - Twin Shuriken cannons, Spirit stones, Vectored engines
10 Avengers + Wave - Twin Missile launchers, spirit stones
5 Pathfinders
5 Pathfinders
Falcon - Shuriken cannon, Spirit stones, Holofields
Fire prism - Spirit stones, holofields
Fire Prism - Spirit stones, holofields

Mission - Loot (secure and control is it?) - level, Escolation + reserves etc..

I set up nothing, he deployed his Pathfinders and won the roll to go first, electing me,

First turn, nothing for either side

Second turn - after rolling 5 3's on the trot and a few other 4+s, I get all but the Autarch, going for refused flank I move the Vypers down the middle to unload on the Pathdfinders on the Objective on my left flank along with the Fire Prism, the Dragon falcon uses star engines to get to his board edge, harle-falcon stop near the objective on my right flank. the jetbikes all move up. I unload everything I can into the Pathfinders, 2 dead.. 1 from each squad, quite unlucky for him I felt, both fails came on at times where only one or two shots got past there extra thick robes.

His army came in drips and drabs from here on out, i'm able to take his army apart piece by piece and was able to role across his DZ and with my Vypers and FP on my left, he cannot hide anywhere, on turn 3 the game turns, I manage to unload my FD and take out the Avenger serpent, my dragon Falcon destroys the dragon Falcon, I shake his other tanks, so he can only fire a limited amount of times at my tanks, basically ensuring a huge win.

With 2 Contested objectives and two in my Control, He only has 2 Scoring units left, Banshees in Wave (Immobilised on one objective) and the Fire Prism very shaken on the other on my left.

Lessons learnt:

I almost threw away my Harlequins, I left them on one Objective on my Right (after I new they would not be needed, totally forgetting he had another prism to come on he blasted them, but luckily I past 3 of the 6 saves required to keep em above half strength required, but they broke along with another unit of Jetbikes, he shappered them off the Objective with his Fire prism, which I then Immobilised, A d'oh moment when he placed it, but it was out of site from me and I thought he had placed all his tanks, so I just need to be more aware.

Still need to be less aggressive with the Vypers, I should of hidden them at the when they came on, luckily or skillfully, he decided to attack my refused flank when there was an easy 210 vps in the Vypers for his Falcon + Prism + Waves to attack. The missile Vyper had its Missile launcher blown off by a Pathfinder, which was a pain, but he redeemed himself with the Shuriken cannon getting 2 glancing hits on his FP. But they all survived, so I guess they did good :), I was impressed with the amount of fire they pump out (17 strength 6 shots and 1 str 8 or str 4 blast).

Changes:

Atm none, but, I think there are way too many upgrades on my tanks, I feel with a few pts dropped from them I can get a unit of Pathfinders if I drop a unit of JBs as well, but, I'm not sure how well they will cope in the tank world we exist in atm. But its defiantly an option i'm looking into, along with dropping the Warlock from the Jetbike squad and maybe upgrading him to a Farseer, the Warlock is 63 pts atm... a Farseer with Eldrich storm would only cost what, 108.. with Star Engines dropped from the Fire Prism, and maybe even star engines dropped from all my tanks, the pts saved could be spent more wisely i feel.

But I will see how it goes.

EDIT1:
I have another battle arranged next week against Marines (Standard Shooty + Lib list), Necrons (1 monolith, Destroyers + 40 odd warriors oh and res lord) and maybe another battle this Friday as well, against the same Eldar opponent.

Edit2:
Just done some quick mental-arithmetic and if I drop all the Star engines and the Warlock, I can grab a Farseer on JB with Eldrich storm and a Singing Spear (Although I would prefer Witch Blade, but I have to with what models I have...).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good job, and I can not express how important and valuable an Autarch can be, even if he does noting but get your army on the table together.

I like your Farseer on JB idea. I run my Falcons at 185pts (normally) and the Prisms are leaner than that. In actualy game play I am normally very subversive until I see a huge hole in the opponents defence, and then I go into overdrive. Often if a fat army hits too early, it can get smoked in return, so I do suggest a bit of caution in most cases.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thats not the first time he/she has done more damage to the enemy than the rest of my army, before he/she even enters the battlefield, its why my mech army has such an advantage over others (or none Autarch ones anyways).

I would suggest anyone gets one, even if its just to boost a unit of Fire Dragons (5 Dragons + Autarch on foot with power weapon + fusion gun, its pretty effective.

I think I will give the Farseer + JB a whirl and see how it goes.

And a good point about being to aggressive to early on, Eldar are not ment for a war of attrition, more, hit for one turn and do all the damage you can, hoping to cripple the enemy in that one phase, for me its usually either the end of turn 2 or turn 3, the turns after are just for mopping up or playing hide n seek for VP denial.

·
Registered
280 Posts
*** This is a side note ***

Here is the current 1.5K army list I am running, and I only show it so that we can discuss realative tactics that I use with it, that may benefit your list as well.

(130) Autarch, JB, LL, F-Gun.
(123) Farseer, JB, M-war, Spear.
(113) 6 FD's, Ex has DBF and CS.
(76) 3 JB's, 1 Cannon.
(156) 5 JB's, 1 Cannon, includes W-lock on JB, Dest, and Spear.
(187) 4 S-Spears, Ex has SR and Withdraw.
(174) 6 Spiders, Ex has PB's, DDS, and Withdraw.
(173) 6 Hawks, Ex has Sun, Int, and Sky.
(185) Falcon, Pulse, Shuri-can, Cat, HF, VE, and Stones.
(180) Fireprism, HF, VE, and Stones.

*** Now on to Tacitcs ***

OK, if you take a close look you will note that on Escalation I actually only set-up 1 unit (easy to hide, thats for sure). Every unit has potential to at least shake enemy skimmer-tanks or drop them. I only have 1 dedicated Assault unit (spears) and they often need the Autarch to actually work well. My principle tactic is "Casualty Conservation" as al athe units are very mobile and their small enough to hide (we play 20-25% terrain). And if all else fails, the Larger JB squad can be used to tie up an enemy "Tarpit" unit in the early game to build me a Close Combat wal to hide behind as well. Like you I try to pick out 1-2 enemy units at a time and then hit them so hard they evaporate; but because I have so much "Hit & Run" potential, I often use my movement (and/or FoF) phase to set up so that I can't kill his whole squad. Yes you heard me right. I actually try to set up so that (using Math-Hammer) on average, I will only kill 75-80% of the squad I assault, or even less if I'm using the Hawks/Spiders (which I do). Here is what I mean, you set you figures so that after the assault, the kill Zone of CC does not include all of his figures (you need to be decent with range to do this - but its not that difficult with alittle practise). Ex, My 4 Spears on an Assault will get 9 attakcs on Marines, and that = out to about 4 dead Marines. If I am running into a 5 man squad, then I certainly wouldn't shoot them first, and if it was a larger squad I would hit one edge of it, so that after he removes casualties, he only gets 1-2 guys with attacks back (try not to leave the PF guy - obviously). This way, my Spears/Hawks/Spiders are not left in the open for him to shoot, and I can easily "Withdraw" in his next turn to re-initiate assault appropriately. Anotherthing I can do (once I have wittled the squad down as mentioned above) is to shoot down 1 guy each turn to force multiple LD test in the shooting phase (get him running), and/or assault with almost any of my units as his squad is now small enough to handle. In most games I play, my S-Spears and Autarch assault turn 2-3, and then hit a different enemy unit each turn there after while the other units come in to finish off the weekened stuff.

I only went over this as I can see your Mech style working in a simular manner on certain occasions and thought that you amy consider it. Hit him with your Harlies, then after they Withdraw, bring the FD's or JB's in finish the squad off with shooting (and/or assault, as they can easily handle 1-2 guys that would be left). Oh and your Vypers (which I love) are absolutley awesome for forcing LD tests if you "Mobile Snipe" with them each turn.

CaHG

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.