Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am trying to put together a friendly but competative Eldar Army list to play with friends. I will be playing against Chaos Marines, Space Marines, and Imperial Guard.

We have agreed to try and keep to the fluff on our picks as much as possible. I will be playing Eldar from Craftworld Alaitoc.

Any help here would be appreciated greatly for I am new to Eldar.

Thank you in advance for your advice and critiques.

HQ
148 - Farseer: Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones, Doom,
Guide, Singing Spear

Troops
114 - Rangers @ 6
277 - Dire Avengers @ 10: Exarch, Bladestorm, 2 Shuriken Catapults
Wave Serpent: Spirit Stones, Twin Linked Scatter Lasers
241 - Dire Avengers @ 7: Exarch, Bladestorm, 2 Shuriken Catapults

Elites
317 - Harlequin Troup @ 7: Shadowseer, 4 Harlequin Kisses, 2 Fusion Pistols
261 - Fire Dragons @ 6
Falcon: Spirit Stones, Holo Fields, Shuriken Cannon

Heavy Support
140 - Walker Squadron @ 2
Walker 1: Spirit Stones, 2 Eldar Missile Launchers
Walker 2: Spirit Stones, 2 Scatter Lassers

Total 1498

My debate is whether to put the Farseer with the Dire Avengers or the Harlequin Troup. Also should I split the Warwalkers up and let them hunt on their own?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Well, let me start off by answering your questions.

With that set up, the Farseer is going to do more good with the 10 strong Dire Avenger squad. From that Wave Serpent he can still reach out 24" with Doom to support the Harlies if he gets the chance. I would probably lose the Singing Spear from him though, it won't be doing too much and you could use the extra attack just in case you get stuck in melee.

You should always try to have your War Walkers grouped up, unless you are certain that Kill Points won't be an issue. Having one AV 10 guy out there is just giving away KP to your opponent. BTW, War Walkers in a squad do not need Spirit Stones. They gain that benifit already by being in a squad. 10 points spared!

-----------------

Just checking, but you know that those Harlequins will not be able to start in that Wave Serpent, right? They don't have to potential for a Dedicated Transport, so that Serpent would have to be bought "for" the Fire Dragons. However, if you are taking the Shadowseer then the transport may not be wholely necessary, and likewise using a transport cuts down on the necessity of a Shadowseer. Side note, try to give all seven of them Harlequin Kisses. Those are what really make that unit shine.

You don't have a lot of things that can hunt AV 14 in the list, and that may be a bit of a problem against Land Raiders.

It has been my experience that 5 Pathfinders work better than 6 Rangers, but that would still cost 6 more points.

If you have an extra Walker then would you consider running 3 Walkers with 2 Shuriken Cannons each? That unit would be 120 points for 18 S 6 Shots. If you did this I would surely utilize their Outflanking ability to hit vehicle side armor and any infantry sitting on objectives. You would free up some points this way to bestow on the rest of the army. However, you would lose out on two S8 shots, though which will hurt your AV 12+ hunting...

You could effectively boost up every unit by just dropping that Wave Serpent with the Harlies, which may not make too much of a difference. You could boost up squad numbers, get a couple Lances, etc. As a friendly list, though, it is coming along decently enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I have been enlightened. I did not know that the Harlies couldn't catch a ride. I will give my list a good re-work. I like the idea of a 3 Walker Squad. And I will try and give the Harlies Kisses. What would be better for my Dragons, a Falcon or Wave serpent?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I prefer the falcon. With holo-fields I find it is significantly harder to destroy than a serpent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I prefer the falcon. With holo-fields I find it is significantly harder to destroy than a serpent.
As a bit of contrast to this, I found that the Falcon works much better as a long-range battle tank. Which makes your dragons at odds with their transport, because they are meant to be up close and personal to enemy's tanks. Putting a close-range melta squad in an expensive long-range battle tank seems contra productive to me. If that's not a reason enough, then think about it this way...Dragons need to come into the enemy's melta range for their meltas to do the trick. Falcons are very vulnerable to melta, even with Holofields, while your opponent will still need 5+ on a single dice to pen your Serpent. Holofields in close range are inferior to Energy Shield, imo.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Then you do something clever called not sending it out by itself and turbo-boosting out of sight so they can jump in 12 inches before popping out for fire dragon love on the vehicle whilst the falcon can use 1 weapon to weaken unit inside (I normally use scatter laser)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Then you do something clever called not sending it out by itself and turbo-boosting out of sight so they can jump in 12 inches before popping out for fire dragon love on the vehicle whilst the falcon can use 1 weapon to weaken unit inside (I normally use scatter laser)
Yes, in certain battles this is not needed. But in others you will want to do precisely that. And in such cases, Wave Serpent will serve a lot better. I'm not saying Falcon is a bad transport, but I'd say a Serpent is better all around when you don't know what your opponent will bring.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Think of it this way.

A Wave Serpent is cheaper point wise and won't eat up a Heavy Support slot upon list expansion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1500 Point Competitive Eldar Force

I know it has been a wile since I posted my list but life tends to intrude upon a good thing from time to time.

Well not much has happened since my last post and all the great advice from you guys. My Chaos army has been on the front burner due to the fact that my sons have learned to play and got on the “let’s paint all the miniatures and make them really cool to look at”. Well, dad was left with the task of painting over a hundred figures. I digress. I am now back on board with my Eldar army and am “painting them so that they will look really cool while my boys turn them into blood and ash”.

My new army currently looks like this…

HQ 145
Farseer: Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones, Doom, and
Guide 145

Elites 411
Harlequin Troops @ 6 w/Shadowseer = 7, 6 Harlequin Kisses 180
Fire Dragons @ 6, Wave Serpent: Spirit Stones, Twin-Linked Starcannons

Troops 674
Pathfinders @ 5 120
Dire Avengers @ 10: Exarch w/2 Shuriken Catapults, Wave Serpent: Spirit
Stones, Twin-Linked Scatter Lasers 152
Dire Avengers @ 10: Exarch w/2 Shuriken Catapults, Wave Serpent: Spirit
Stones, Twin-Linked Scatter Lasers 152

HS 270
War Walker Squadron: 2 Bright Lances each 270

Total 1500

Farseer to hitch a ride with one of the Dire Avengers Squads.

Any help, again, would help. I would love to surprise my warp puppies with a solid victory.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ditch the twin linked bright lances. I see why u took them but that's what the dragons are for. Use the points to give EMLs to all the serpents so they have a good defensive weapon to fire. Also I find that give a DA exarch a power weapon and shield (especially witha farseer) makes them an unplayable assault force. They WILL kill 5 termies in whatever armour or shields they are wearing and teabag the corpses. Also drop dragons to 5 ad see if u can fit fortune on to ur farseer
Also I absolutely love star cannons. BUT the only unit worth putting them on is walkers so u get all the shots. And ur walkers would be better off with scatter lasers in most people's opinions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts