Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
Tyranids are my main 40k army but recently i've decided to start a space wolves force.

This is the list i've build:
(i'm from italy so excuse me for any bad translations from italian codex to english words :) )

[HQ]
WOLF LORD - Terminator armour, wolf claw, wolf claw, meltabombs, Saga Born Warrior, Belt of Russ (225pts)

RUNE PRIEST - Rune Armour - Plasma Gun (135pts)

[ELITES]
5 Wolf Guard - Terminator armour, 1x multimelta, 3x thunder hammer, 3x storm shield, 1x wolf claw, 1x sword of freeze (don't know if this is the right translation) (310 pts)

[TROOPS]
10 Grey Hunters - 1x Plasma rifle - 1x melta rifle - 1x power weapon - 1x plasma gun - wulfen mark - wolf standard // Rhino transport - Additional assault bolter (270)

10 Grey Hunters - 1x Plasma rifle - 1x melta rifle - 1x power weapon - 1x plasma gun - wulfen mark - wolf standard // Drop Pod - Assault Bolter (270)

[HEAVY SUPPORT]
5 Longfangs - 2x multimelta - 2x laser cannon - 1x melta rifle - melta bombs // Razorback - Double Laser Cannon (don't know the right translation from italian) - Assault Bolter (245)

Tot. 1455
Still having 45 pts to use.

What you guys thinks about this list? I never played with them, i'm just collecting and painting them.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Ciao! and welcome to the Space Wolves.... Where are you at in Italy? I grew up on a NATO base in Napoli...

You should get a rune priest... Here is the link to my thoughts around Space Marine and Space Wolf list building...

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
[HQ]
WOLF LORD - Terminator armour, wolf claw, wolf claw, meltabombs, Saga Born Warrior, Belt of Russ (225pts)
Belt of Russ is a pretty good upgrade overall, but when you purchased the terminator armour he got an invulnerable save. So now your paying the same points for the belt but to increase his invulnerable save by one, I'd say pick one and save points by not taking the other.

Otherwise looks pretty good.

RUNE PRIEST - Rune Armour - Plasma Gun (135pts)
I'd suggest either leaving him stock or make him a master of runes; the rune armour is nice but like the belt of Russ on a terminator its honestly not adding much, and the plasma pistol though nice for its high strength also means you are running the risk of wounding your priest.

[ELITES]
5 Wolf Guard - Terminator armour, 1x multimelta, 3x thunder hammer, 3x storm shield, 1x wolf claw, 1x sword of freeze (don't know if this is the right translation) (310 pts)
Not sure on the multi-melta, no codex handy at this time so will have to come back to it, but overall not to bad. From a modeling standpoint it might no make as much sense, but there is very little overall difference between a thunder hammer and powerfist in game, so I'd suggest swapping the hammers out for fists.

Other than that, looks alright, maybe consider getting a pair of wolf guard in power armour with powerfists to be pack-leaders for the grey hunter packs.

[TROOPS]
10 Grey Hunters - 1x Plasma rifle - 1x melta rifle - 1x power weapon - 1x plasma gun - wulfen mark - wolf standard // Rhino transport - Additional assault bolter (270)

10 Grey Hunters - 1x Plasma rifle - 1x melta rifle - 1x power weapon - 1x plasma gun - wulfen mark - wolf standard // Drop Pod - Assault Bolter (270)
Right, so as I mentioned above, consider two powerfist toting wolf guard to lead these packs. As for the packs themselves, you want to get in close and assault, but shooting the plasmaguns will disallow you the chance to assault in that turn. I would suggest swapping out to a meltagun and dropping each pack to nine strong so that the wolf guard would be able to fit in.

Also, you don't want one unit alone on the field, so instead of the drop pods I'd suggest taking rhino's.

[HEAVY SUPPORT]
5 Longfangs - 2x multimelta - 2x laser cannon - 1x melta rifle - melta bombs // Razorback - Double Laser Cannon (don't know the right translation from italian) - Assault Bolter (245)
Not to bad, is that five long fangs and a pack leader or four and a leader? In either case, I would suggest swapping the multi-melta's out for either heavy bolters or missile launchers. That way all your weapons are long range.

After that I would not take any other upgrades for the pack, give only the regular long fangs, don't make the pack leader any more expensive than he needs to be.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I would drop the wolf lord, in this list type he isn't needed. On the the RP, drop the plasma gun and get another priest, arm him with a bolter.

Your wolf guard are illegal, you can't have a MM on them. Other than that I would suggest you drop the TH/SS; they are extremely over priced. If I were you I would drop the killy WG squad and make a squad of 3-4 PF/CM WG for pack leaders.

Your troops have way to much crap on them. I would suggest you run them as follows:
9 GH w/ MoTW, standard, meltagun. Rhino. Maybe 2-4 of those.

Your long fangs don't know what they are doing. I would give them all ML and put them on a TLLC razorback. Try and get 2-3 squads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your answers guys!
I'll made some tweaks to the list as you've suggested!
I'll remove belt of russ and the runic armour, then drop my grey hunters team to 9 and add 1 wolf guard to each of them.

About the Drop Pod, yes i'll change it for the Rhino. Right now it's in my list cause i've just bought a Space Wolves Battalion and it was inside and i don't have a 2nd Rhino yet.

@CLT40k i'm from Brescia, it's a city near Milan in the north of Italy! I never been in Napoli :D it's too far from me!! Thanks for your link, i'll read it carefully!

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Yup... for 1500 points, I think you need AT LEAST 6 or more real shooting threats...
3 units of Long Fangs with Twin Linked Las is a great start... Add in a couple of Rune Priests with Living Lightning and you'll be good.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Also the wolfpriest is a force to be reckoned with (imho so please let this not turn into a arguement) with a 4+ inul, power weapon, and allows the unit he's with to take preferred enemy against a specifi type of unit (infantry, ect.) they are great enhancers also if you are going to run the wolf lord maybe you should give him wolf tooth and saga of the beastslayer so he just hunts down IC/SC/MC itt works well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.