Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the purposed list (everything with a star is something I don't actually have model wise, this is me floating an idea to see which direction i need to take this army) this is, though talored against one guy i play against, is hopefully still able to function against most orks.
HQ

captain
-Artificer armor
-storm bolter
-Power weapon

Librarian
-level 2

Elite

Ironclad dreadnought
-Ironclad assault
-Two heavy flamers

Troops

Tactical squad A
-flamer
-combi flamer
-Melta bomb

Tactical squad B
-flamer
-combi flamer
-Melta bomb

Transports

Razorback A

Razorback B

Fast attack

Storm talon*

Heavy support

Land raider crusader*
-Multi melta

Land raider crusader*
-multi melta

Whirlwind* (have a chassis, just need a launcher)

Tactics
The plan is simple enough, the tacticals start the game in the Crusaders, which then start to roll up the boad toward objectives, destroying as many infantry as possible as they do so. The Razor backs act as target saturation and use there heavy bolters to try and take out trukks (which the guy i play VS uses) or the infantry they spit out.

The Ironclad goes with the Land Raiders, (behind them in fact to be safe from loota fire) and when a unit of power klaw bikers shows up, land raiders moves up, bolters it, then the Ironcland (hopeful in range) charges and uses the fact that his strength ten hammer to instant death as many of them as possible.

Tactical have melta bombs as a counter measure to vehiciles, I don't have much anti tank shooting here except the mult melta's on the crusaders and it seemed a good idea to try and cover that base.

The storm talon is on air support, general purpose but I honestly don't think I'll get more then one turn out of it, (in case you have not gathered by all the AV14 Lootas terrify me, they generally destroy at least one unit a turn for me) it is here to fill a 110 point hole in the army list.

Advice would be perfect, last time I played the guy it was a game so loopsided i had to double check if he was using a 1500 list, (he was). I'm also a new player and therefore limited in what i can actually bring as i lack a lot of models. This list seemed the way 'to get the most bang for my buck' money to model effectiveness, especially as i mentioned his lootas tend to remove a unit a turn, so just adding more tacticals just seemed like a losing proposition.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My main opponent and best friend is an Ork player and I can tell you the one thing he hates is my drop pods with dual flamer squad. This can be either a tac squad like yours or an assault squads with 2 flamers.

A small tweek to your list and you can give your Dread a drop pod which it can use if you want, give it a deathstorm launcher and drop it in an area where there are lots of targets near by and it will make your opponent at least pay attention to it instead of other things in your list.

In bigger games I use 2 Ironclads in pods to dual heavy flamer units like Lootas and to say "Pay attention to me" while the rest of my army advances relatively unmolested.

Lein

·
Registered
564 Posts
it's no secret to beating orks with marines pies, pies, pies. i'm an ork player and facing marines I hate seeing vindicators, whirlwinds and flamers. the more pie throwing things you have the better you will do. you also want squads of at least 10 men with flamers and bolt guns and some luck with overwatch.

·
Registered
564 Posts
yeah but when you've got models covering the nearly the whole half of the board scatter isn't too much of a worry for my opponents :laugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts