Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright so I've just started playing and I have a basic list banged out, but I'm trying to figure out what would fit best to round it out at 1500 pts:headbutt:

HQ - Space Marine Capt. w/ Power Sword and BG (Artificer Armor, Digital Weapons, and Aux. GL)

Troops - 10 Man Tact. Squad w/ Plasma Gun and Missile launcher (Sergeant w/ Chainsword and Plasma Pistol, Melta-bombs)

Troops - 10 Man Tact. Squad w/ Flamer and Missile launcher (Sergeant w/ Chainsword and Plasma Pistol, Melta-bombs)

Troops - 5 Man Scout Squad w/ Sniper rifles and Missile Launcher (Camo Cloaks, Melta-bombs)

Elites - 5 Man Term. Squad w/ Storm Bolters and Power fists (Sergeant w/ power sword and storm bolter)

Elites - Vanilla Dreadnought w/ Multi-melta and CC weapon w/ storm bolter

Fast Attack - 10 Man Assault Squad w/ two flamers (Sergeant w/ Power Fist and Storm Shield, Melta-bombs)

Dedicated Trans. - Rhino w/ Pintle storm bolter and HK missile

That's 1225 pts worth so I'm looking for something that would round it out. I'm contemplating a Land Raider... or a Predator or three. I was also contemplating throwing a Venerable in there for the short assaults and a drop pod. As you can see I'm not exactly sure what to put in next so some help would be appreciated:biggrin:

·
Registered
548 Posts
get 2 rhinos, so both your tacs can get around the board and drop the assault squad. also meltas are the new hottness ><, plasma sucks, and wounds you 1/6 times you shoot it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drop the Assault squad for what though? A second Rhino doesn't take up that many points.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My thoughts

Look at adding a relic blade to your commander

I think your Tac sergents would be better off with combi meltas or Flamers instead of plasma pistols. adding rhinos or razorbacks would be good.

If you are running basic terms give them a cyclone missile launcher. It gives you a ranged mobile firing platform.

your MM dread has to do a ton of walking to get into range. Look at a DP or go Hellfire.

does your assault squad have JP? Where are you putting your commander?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Add a drop pod for the other troops. They will come in on turn 1 and can rapid fire at one of their long range units. I would dump the rest of the points into heavy support. Need to be able to do damage.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Hey, if you're looking for a competative list... there are a lot of different ways to get there. Space Marines do a great job of shooting things. So I tend to design lists around that strength.

Couple of hints

1. Keep it cheap.. don't overload with upgrades, they tend to not pay off.
2. Melta is the most effective way to drop vehicles. The other option is to hit them with lots of str7 or higher shots.
3. More is better... if you only have a few units on the field they become bigger targets... unit saturation is pretty effective.
4. If you take a non shooty unit, you need to beef up the rest of your army to compensate (ie, Termies in a LR need to have a lot of backup, or you won't be able to stop your opponent from focusing everything on them)

·
Registered
220 Posts
are you working with the models you have or do you have a good amount of figurines? going to purchase any?

I've been advised to keep my marines ranged as they don't perform great in close combat when compared to armies geared toward CC. Trading your dread to long range, drop the assault squad, and change your captain to a terminator librarian and put him with your terminators, then maybe putting them in a land raider. I'd choose some heavy weapon support though, more dreadnoughts or predators, maybe a devastator squad or two with missile launchers.

Or not! Have fun though!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are you working with the models you have or do you have a good amount of figurines? going to purchase any?

I've been advised to keep my marines ranged as they don't perform great in close combat when compared to armies geared toward CC. Trading your dread to long range, drop the assault squad, and change your captain to a terminator librarian and put him with your terminators, then maybe putting them in a land raider. I'd choose some heavy weapon support though, more dreadnoughts or predators, maybe a devastator squad or two with missile launchers.

Or not! Have fun though!
That's basically every model I have, but I'm looking to purchase a few to cover the difference. The Assault Squad has JP so it's basically just to combat key objectives and perform surgical strikes so to speak. I'm not crazy about the devastator Squad since their a bit vulnerable and slower I think. I'm thinking between a few predators, a Land raider, or a dreadnought... not sure which type, prolly Ironclad. Which would be a better fit?

·
Registered
220 Posts
long range dreads or predators. it does not seem that the iron clad fits. if i would use an iron clad dread id gear more of my army toward close combat and less toward shooty. up to you really as your in the middle of deciding your future arm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts