Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Hesph was kind enough to show me the ropes on vassal, and i thank him very much.
We only made it to the second part of turn 2 when i had to ditch, i did save the game and i do hope to continue it, but it's safe to say it will be a solid win for the eldar.

I'm happy as i learned a lot, so this post is more about what i learned than a battle report.

The eldar used grav tanks and transports, I had never delt with this so was unsure what to shoot for. Also i did not know where to put my anti infantry as there was not a lot, i had a hell hound and no idea how to use it. But i'll get to that desperately.

So number one eldar are fast.... i thought most things where safe only to have the eldar jump the board and get at least side armor on everything(he never did shoot my tanks, but he could have). Also means chasing after something with a short range would be hard, but i won't leave stuff open again, eldar can get there.

Rough riders are counter assault...you should keep them safe. 3 bad things happened or where going to happen. Mainly i charged them forward and thought there where behind some tree's, thought i might bust a tank with em.
Well the eldar jet bikes move much faster than i thought and jumped the tree's and shot all my guys. 8 wounds taken, 8 wounds is all they had. So don't leave them in the open if forward, things will kill them. If I kept them the banshee's who where about to assault would be less of a worry.

Without my counter assault i could not stop them going through unit after unit. A good charge on them locked in combat would significantly weaken them and slow there progress through my troop's or even enable me to kill them all.
So i lost my units and i also had nothing to stop his CC monsters.

Auto cannons rock, as do las cannons even if they didn't do much this time. I had some amazingly bad luck.

Infiltrating a las cannon works great.

Flamer sents are awsome, and if they fail it's only 45 points.

For the hell hound it never had any targets, everything was skimmers (faster) or would be in combat fairly soon. Unsure how to use this unit when there are no troops.

Also the eldar player was very good at staying out side bolter range, so my bolter could do little to nothing and even then the skimmers are immune to bolters.

I may need more auto cannons in my list to take out skimmers when facing eldar, this may replace the hell hound in my list....but for armies not totally in transports i'll probably keep the hell hounds.

a couple auto cannon sents would have helped a fair bit, i just really like the idea of the hell hound. so for some match ups i may add 2 sents.

learned a lot so thanks.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Use the Hellhound as a goalkeeper. As long as it is operational, he can't disembark within its threat area unless he hides himself in assault in the same turn unless he's prepared to trade off the unit. Otherwise what he disembarks will get badly burnt due to being conveniently bunched up.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
to be honest hellhounds aren't great. They cost almost as much as a basilisk too.

Autocannons do work vs eldar. Mobile ones on sentinels might be good but make sure your sentinels are hidden or they will die straight away.

What actually works quite well vs skimmer armies are 10 man squads in cover with a heavy wep. It isn't that easy for these armies to do a really large number of wounds at range, though they can quite happily kill a couple of tanks - or at least stop them from shooting. It helps to be resilient.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Actually, you played the army very well. There really was nothing for your hellhound to do, but if you would have a little more patience with it, the next few turns would have shown its worth.... The banshees would most likely have finished off the few units near them, but then would be out in the open for at least one turn, allowing the hellhound to crisp them pretty good.

The Eldar vehicles are very fast, but cannot shoot if moving over 12 inches. I had to gamble quite a bit to get my skimmers where I did. Autocannons are the IG's answer to all skimmers and you saw this in practice. Lascannons are just really overpriced and weaker versions of autocannons when versing Eldar skimmers.

Still, it did not take long to down a few birds and make a few pansies suffer... When we ended the game, you were pretty far ahead on VPs. I was hoping that the next turn would change that...

We'll have to do that again!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did save it, i've never faced eldar and would enjoy seeing just how fast things to tear through my units.

also the best tactica i have read so far summed up the guard.
As a range heavy army you start of winning the game, you kill most in the first turns and have things to your advatage at the start...you have 6 turns to avoid losing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts