Predator w/ Lascannon Turret, Twin Lascannon Sponsons
= 140
Whirlwind
= 65

Total = 1500

Thoughts, people?

EDIT:
The Major change that strikes me is:
Dropping the Rhino, the Plasma gun from from Squad 2, and lowering the Interrogator to a regular chaplain frees up 95 points.
That 95 points would be spent on doubling the Assault marines to 10 man, and getting a second Eviscerator.

I then ask if further dropping the Multi-Melta from the crusader & the 10 man Assault marine unit for a squad of 5 plain Deathwing (for 200 points) is better.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I then ask if further dropping the Multi-Melta from the crusader & the 10 man Assault marine unit for a squad of 5 plain Deathwing (for 200 points) is better.
Can you manage to get Deathwing Knights instead? Assault marines are Tactical marines with one extra attack in CC (ie. they're crap, really), pretty much anything is more threatening than them.

Bringing a Land Raider at 1500 points I think is a flawed tactical choice but that's more to do with the kind of lists I face. I own three and they don't come out under 3k anymore.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I thought the same thing about Land Raiders. They're just so expensive, it's hard for me to justify. I don't know much about DA but I do agree that assault marines aren't good. Way too easy to mutilate before they get into combat, and even if they do, they will get killed by any decent cc unit unless the dice are on your side.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The obvious source of points for me to drop would be the Whirlwind - that would give me enough for the Knights.

Or do people value the whirlwind?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've never seen a Whirlwind in action (which is maybe evidence on its own), but with just one, I don't know how much it would get done. You could whittle away at some weak troops, but firing just one bolter-strength blast seems unlikely to account for a ton of wounds.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Only way I've seen a Whirlwind used effectively was when it was a Whirlwind Scorpius with the Ignores Cover relic upgrade or legacy whatever it is. Otherwise they're really cool looking paperweights in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah... I love how they look, I truly do. But, I guess over the course of 6 turns they don't actually put out much damage.

Big shame, really - as many other armies have a Long-Range Pie plate that you have to be scared of.

I just have one converted that I like to use - all my DA tanks (except the Predator, that's not finished yet) look like mini churches... Many Garden's of Morr have been purchased & recast.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If you know you're facing a horde army with 5/6+ saves and a ton of models take a squad of three I suppose, but the Thunderfire Cannon is almost implicitly better without needing a three tank squadron for the swanky pinning/shred rules.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts