Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been nominated to be the bad guys in our gaming group since its full of Marines of 1 kind or another and I was really digging the idea of building a Tyranids Army (less so on painting one...). So I've had a flick through the codex and this is what I've came out with:

HQ 460:
The Swarmlord 280

x3 Tyrant Guard 180

Troops 460:

x10 Genestealers 140

x10 Termigant Brood 50

x10 Termigant Brood 50

Tervigon 220
+1 Psycic power
Crushing Claws
Toxic Sacks
Adrenal Glands

Fast Attack 120:

x3 Ravener Brood 120
Devourers
Rending Claws

Heavy Support 420:

Trygon 210
Toxin Sacks

Trygon 210
Toxin Sacks

Total 1460

It does have a problem with fliers I know but not many get used in our area now since every one takes lots of anti flier and I figure the 1 or two I may come across I'm just going to have to try and ignore lol. I figured if I took a Flyrant it would just be a big target and get shot out the sky so wouldn't be much use any way.

I love the Swarm lord and his unit I know they are expensive but I figure between choosing to shoot at the 2 Trygons, the Swarmlord, the Tervigon and the Ravaners I should be able to split who gets shot at and make him pap his pants in the process! I'm going to swap all the psychic powers for biomancy on the big guys.

I still have 40 points left over and thought about dropping Rending Claws on the Ravaners and taking either another 10 Termigaunts or maybe a Hiveguard for a high S long range weapon. Neither of which sound like that good an extra option though.

Any ways I'm sure I'm missing plenty so hoping you guys can help me out with the fine tuning :)

Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
Personally, I would drop a tyrant guard and drop the devourers on the raveners and boost that ravener squad. I love raveners and in my experience you'll lose at least one before they hit. So having 4 or 5 make them scary and they don't need to be shooting. Additionally, they are going to be moving a lot faster than the rest of the army which may be problematic. As your opponent will shoot them first and still have a turn or two before everything else hits (of course depending on the setup and their range).

Everything else looks good. Just pick your targets wisely and hug cover. If they have heavy weapons teams or the like I suggest infiltrating those stealers and having raveners try to fight there. And stealers should have toxin sacs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips :) would the swarmlord not just become a massive target with out them though? Just worried about him getting shot apart. Although I suppose it's all about making your opponent pick his poison lol.

So I could drop the Tyrant Guard and devourers. Boost the Ravaners to a 7 man(snake?) squad, give the Stealers Sything Talons and Toxin Sacks. That leaves me with 30 points, thinking of changing a squad of termigants to Hormagaunts and add a couple of extras in?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I didn't mean drop the whole guard squad, just go from 3 to 2. I'm not a huge fan of the swarm lord but don't let him go in alone. 7 is probably overkill, when they do hit they'll just tear up a squad and you would rather be in a passive assault. Be weary of the power fist and missiles with the raveners.

For the stealers I never run talons, you could try it out but only rerolling 1s isn't fantastic. And gets expensive fast.

Hormagants are solid but you should give them at least toxin meaning you're using a lot more points than termagaunts. Since termagaunts get toxin from the tervigon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can always leave 1 Tyrant Guard. They will still wound off majority Toughness and he can take Look Out Sir's! for the swarmy if need be. Endurance will also give him FNP and IWND.

I would take a min of 6 Raveners IMO. Maybe get a 15 man squad of gargoyles toi give the raveners a mobile cover save.

Noone will tell you NOT to take Hive Guard, they are simply amazing

·
Registered
467 Posts
Maybe something like this

HQ 400
The Swarmlord 280

x2 Tyrant Guard 120

Troops 456

x8 with toxin Genestealers 136

x10 Termigant Brood 50

x10 Termigant Brood 50

Tervigon 220
+1 Psycic power
Crushing Claws
Toxic Sacks
Adrenal Glands

Fast Attack 175

x5 Ravener Brood 175
Rending Claws

Heavy Support 420:

Trygon 210
Toxin Sacks

Trygon 210
Toxin Sacks

Total 1460

49 points left, maybe some lash whips on those guards.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh right ok so now I have 2 Tyrant Guard, 5 Ravaners and the Genestealers have Toxin Sacks. I could drop 1 more Tyrant Guard and take a brood of Gargoyles? Or would this leave the swarmlord rather unprotected?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didnt see your last post, but that looks better. I thought about lash and sword on them I thought of them more as additional wounds and didnt want to pile to many points in thinking the Swarmlord should crush stuff any ways? Or would you think that would be a better fit?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after the Boneswords and whips maybe add Spike rifles to one of the termigants and I still have 9 points that I can't spend any where lol any ideas?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I didnt see your last post, but that looks better. I thought about lash and sword on them I thought of them more as additional wounds and didnt want to pile to many points in thinking the Swarmlord should crush stuff any ways? Or would you think that would be a better fit?
In

Swarmlord will crush a lot of stuff, but it doesn't hurt having the other units in base combat go last. I don't know about the swarm-lord, but a tyrant with a lash whip in his unit makes it really hard to take out. Since he only has a 3+ armor, it doesn't hurt to make pesky power-weapons go last. But who knows, maybe just try play-testing and see how survivable it all is?

And do not do spine rifles. I have not found any upgrade on the gaunts to be useful besides toxin and adrenal.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think in 6th he may be worth it. With the ability to get 4 psychic powers it makes him much more survivable and appealing then before. I personally, almost never use him and haven't since just playing for fun in 5th edition. That is only because I really hate spending so many points on one model, let alone around 400 points for the whole squad. If you really like him you should give it a shot, but personally I almost always just use a tervigon. The swarmlord can do a lot of damage to an opponent, it is just hard to get him where you need him and takes up a large portion of a 1500 point list. While, a tervigon provides more troop choices and would free up an additional 200 some points. Which could be another Trygon. Or another Tervigon for that matter. It all comes down to play-style and what you want your list to do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Spike Rifle Range isnt really worth the lower str ( str 3 ) your going to be wounding on 5's or 6's. I would rather just have a couple more models

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hadnt really thought of that. I really like the idea of the swarm lord so I guess I'll see how he goes lol. Woul you just buy extra Termigants or an extra genestealer with the left over points? Also what about dropping another Tyrant Guard in order to take a meat shield of Gargoyles, would this leave old Swarmy a little un protected?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So after taking your advice on board and plenty of messing around with list ideas I think I have my list settled out! Couldn't justify taking The Swarm Lord at 1500 points. However I think he fits in the 2000 point list nicely. Let me know what you think.

1500 pts:

HQ 180:
Tervigon
Adrenal Glands
Toxin Sacks

Elites:
Hive Guard Brood x2

Troops 561:
x8 Genestealers 136
toxin sacks

x15 Hormagaunt Brood 120
Toxin Sacks (or 20 Hormagaunts at the same price)

x17 Termigant Brood 85

x10 Termigant Brood 50

Tervigon 170
Toxic Sacks

Fast Attack 235:

x10 Gargoyle Brood 60

x5 Ravener Brood 175
Rending Claws

Heavy Support 420:

Trygon 210
Toxin Sacks

Trygon 210
Toxin Sacks

Total:

Boost to 2000 pts:

HQ Tervigon switched to Troops Choice

The Swarmlord 430
x2 Tyrant Guard
Lash Whip + Bone Sword

+1 Hive Guard 50
+1 Hormagaunt 8
+3 Termagants 15
Total 1999

·
Registered
467 Posts
I like this new list. Though I think it would be better for your termagaunts to be a squad of 13 and a squad of 14, rather than one large and one small. I could be wrong though. The second thing is that that gargoyle brood is too small. It needs to have about 15 in it to be effective. Seeing as you'll lose probably about 5 models before they get into CC. Which means its hitting power will suffer. Almost all the smaller broods work well in at least 15 models. Termagaunts are usually taken in 10 just to get a tervigon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts