Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a good few months now I've been bringing my High Elves to my local Games Workshop store and fighting many battles. I've won the majority of my battles, my magic phase I was quite proud of especially with the buffs I managed to get on some of my White Lions etc. Anyway people have grown used to my tactics and some of their armies have been adapted purely to fight me, most notable a very shooty Dwarf army with plenty of rune priests to dispel all my magic. So I thought it was time for a change, I decided on Empire for the versatility so I can continually change my tactics. So here goes, I would love some assistance as I haven't got quite used to their rules, thanks in advance! :D

Grand Master x1
-Shield
-159pts

Greatswords x18
-Parent Unit
-Full Command
-Warrior Pirest of Sigmar (Heavy Armour and Great Weapon)
-6x3 ranks
-301pts

Archers x16
-Greatswords Detachment
-8x2
-112pts

Swordsmen x10
-Greatswords Detachment
-5x2
-70pts

Spearmen x29
-Parent Unit
-Full Command
-Battle Standard Bearer (Full Plate and Shield)
-10x3
-263pts

Halberdiers x10
-Spearmen Detachment
-5x2
-60pts

Archers x16
-Spearmen Detachment
-8x2
-112pts

Reiksguard Knights x9
-Full Command
-Grand Master goes here
-273pts

Hellblaster Volley Gun x1
-Master Engineer
-185pts

Total Army Points: 1510pts

As we can see this army is 10pts over and I think seems to be very focused on core units. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated from anyone, especially experienced Empire players. I have 2 great cannons in reserve as well as 24 handgunners which if used I had a mind to use them 12x2. Also my tactic seems very 'come at me bro' to have my enemy charge my spears or greatswords, having the archers getting a reaction shot while the swords and halberds come crashing into the flanks. The halberds going with spears so both parent units have weapons that increase strength, have at it armoured guys. We have the Hellblaster to blow the fuck out of things, the Engineer around just in case we go bye-bye. My Knights along with the Grand Master are for a nice hit on small units or running on the flanks to smash into ranged units or war machines.

Would love some suggestions to improve my chances, I am willing to drop some units and replace them with others, I can buy others if need be but I really want to keep my reputation as a tough opponent, I want to give the guys a good game as well, I don't want to make it easy for them, I want to win but if I lose I want to go down swinging :p

Thanks in advance ladies and jellyspoons! :D

·
Registered
726 Posts
Couple of things.

I'd find some points to bump up the numbers of both your parent units, you could probably remove at least one of the detachments for this because your spearmen especially will be losing combat most of the time and you'd be better off with steadfast from lots of bodies.

Secondly, if you keep the detachments at least bump the numbers up a bit, 10 as a detachment isn't worth it - if you take just one casualty you've lost the ability to negate ranks with the counter charge unless of course you're just using them to bait but again, one or 2 casualties and there's a chance your whole army could run from panic. Which leads me to the next point.

With so much infantry, having your general on a horse, probably flanking and away from the rest of the army, kind of negates his leadership bonus which is extremely helpful once you start taking casualties in combat. You could maybe have a warrior priest in the Reiksguard unit (hatred on them is pretty tasty) and have a general on foot in with either the spears or greatswords.

The helblaster is a good choice but I can't help but feel a cannon would benefit you more. There's not much you have that can take down big monstrous creatures or things like wizard wagons and a cannon would definitely help with that

Anyway, hope that helps. I'm sure someone else will pitch in with other suggestions :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts