Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first eldar list. Having played against them a lot, I have some idea of what works and what doesn't, and I've devised a list based on what was cheap on ebay;

HQ's (155)

Troops (934)
10 Guardians
- Missile launcher platform
- spiritseer w/spear + embolden

10 Guardians

10 Guardians

10 Guardians

10 Guardians

10 Wraithguard
- Spiritseer w/spear + conceal

Heavy (405)
Wraithlord
-Missile launcher
-Scatter Laser

Wraithlord
-Missile launcher
-Scatter Laser

Wraithlord
-Missile launcher
-Scatter Laser

Total; 1494

Be harsh ; )

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well, it's an interesting list. Dunno how well it will play out for you. Some points:
-why do you have every warlock a spiritseer? You only need one, maybe two.
-your avatar has a fearless bubble around him. With that in mind, why all the emboldens?

I think this list will be fun to play out with, so I'd stick to it. But some suggestions:
I'd drop at least one of the warlocks with your guardians, maybe two.
I'd drop spiritseer and embolden from ALL of them. Use Destructor on the ones you keep.
I would MAYBE also drop one squad of Guardians.

I think your army gets better if your wraithlords suddenly start sporting brightlances, so I'd use the points saved in order to get them. Obviously it's a tough choice between them and the (fantastic) scatter lasers, but I think it's worth it. Needless to say, your wraithlords all have two flamers, right?

The maybe drop a squad of Guardians would be to accomodate a Farseer with Fortune. You'd have to playtest to see if it's worth it, you might just find that your enemy ignores whatever you fortune (which, for uniqueness reasons, pretty much has to be the avatar or the wraithguard.)

Bottom line, I've got good reasons to recommend the point cuts I'm recommending, but I'm a little less certain when I come to suggesting alternate uses for the points.
You may even find a completely different unit, like a small squad of deepstriking warp spiders*, to fit what you need.

*Warp Spiders are not a typically recommended unit. However, this isn't a typical list, and I think you've decent odds of finding them cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
153 Posts
One of the pod casts I listened to the other day a guy talked about a space wolves army he ran at a tournament where he basically spammed missile launchers and had a couple other hard hitting units. I think his results were average at the tournament but it really sounded like a case of super bad rolls(I think he said he rolled like 27 1s in a row or something.)

Anyway, your list seems pretty fun and reminded me of that, but eldar version.

Jack-mac makes some good points though about the emboldens with avatar and too many spiritseers. And the suggestion of brightlances is another good one. It seems like with so many EML and the flamers the brightlances may be more useful than the scatter lasers there. Maybe take the farseer as suggested but instead of fortune go with guide to help the platform's shooting?

I wish I could remember which podcast that was I'd link it and say maybe it'll give you some pointers to using lots of missile launchers and inturn some ideas.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
good points so far: if taking Wraithguard, you need a Farseer to attach to them, even if he only has Fortune.

Destructor is not a bad idea for those Warlocks, but i'd take Conceal to make sure some survive.

biggest issue: you'll end up with a blob of Fearless troops that wont' run away. sounds great on paper, but wait until the pie plates land.

good hunting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great points and ideas so far, thanks for your time guys!
The idea was for the guardians to sit in cover (hopefully, to the last man via embolden), advancing only to finish a unit or grab a last minute objective, and due to their stationary nature I thought having a spiritseer in each squad would give me more flexibility with the wraithsight.
Originally I was avoiding brightlances (expensive) but their effectiveness is undoubtable and 2 armor busters are better than one...
I'll have to do the math, but I think if I drop a squad of guardians I should have enough for a fortune farseer (maybe attached to wraithguard) and to upgrade the scatter lasers to brightlances. Alternatively I've been looking at harlequins.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I personally find that one larger unit of Guardians is way better than two small ones, although I use dire avengers in wave serpents to take objectives. plonk 20 guardians with missile launcher and warlock with conceal on an objective, and your opponent will have to throw a lot at it, especially if you go to ground (in the case of a disproportionate amount of firepower being levelled at them). Maybe drop one guardian unit, and merge another two into a single squad (to be used defensively)? oh, and for the warlocks attached, definitely go with conceal. hopefully with the points saved from merging the two units you'll have enough for a butload of brightlances, definitely take a couple. Harlequins are good, but you need a Shadowseer. Warp Spiders are underrated, I use them regularly to great effect, although this is probably not the place to discuss this.

By the way, nice skeleton for the list, I can just imagine watching your opponent's head exploding when he sees all those wraithlords!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts