Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a relatively new player to Eldar, having only really played Nids before this seems like a big-ish jump for me. I have had a couple of ideas for a 1500 point Eldar list, but I'm not entirely sure about either. Any tips/comments are greatly appreciated.

1st list:

HQ:
Baharroth - 200 Pts

Troops (300 Pts)
Guardian x 10 + Platform x 10 - 100 Pts

Guardian x 10 + Platform - 80 Pts

Guardian x 10 + Platform- 80 Pts

Fast Attack - (748 Pts)
Swooping Hawks x 9 + Exarch - 243 Pts

Swooping Hawks x 9 + Exarch - 243 Pts

Warp Spiders 9 + Exarch - 262 Pts

Heavy Support - (155Pts)

Falcon Grav Tank - 155 Pts

Elite - (97 pts)

Fire Dragons x 4 + Exarch - 97 Pts

This list focused heavily on jumping and deepstriking, with the rest of the troops being ranged and my tank hunters, although I can see the hawks being good at destroying vehicles anyway.

This is the second list:

HQ:
Maugan Ra - 195 Pts

Troops (305 Pts)
Guardian x 10 + Platform - 110 Pts

Guardian x 10 + Platform - 100 Pts

Guardian x 10 + Platform - 95 Pts

Fast Attack - (426 Pts)

Warp Spiders 8 + Exarch - 218 Pts

Warp Spiders 8 + Exarch - 208 Pts

Heavy Support - (397Pts)

Falcon Grav Tank - 210 Pts

Dark Reapers x 4 + Exarch - 217 Pts

Elite - (128 pts)

Fire Dragons x 5 + Exarch - 128 Pts

The second list is more ranged combat orientated, with the majority of the list having good ranged weapons. I can see this list being effective against both swarm and big monster armies.

·
Registered
505 Posts
First of all, any missile launcher can switch from krak to frag/plasma in the middle of a game. Second, you might want to replace at least one of the guardian squads with rangers or some kind of heavy support choice. Third, for your first list, although I am new to eldar, I don't think it is the best idea to use multiple types of deep striking eldar troops in the same game. True, it allows you to be well-rounded, but swooping hawks are good against weaker infantry while warp spiders are better against heavier infantry. Of course, against certain armies this may be a great strategy, but against most your second list would be better.

·
Registered
280 Posts
First off, Please do not include any breakdown costs within your list. (Go back and use the Edit button to take them out), Overall Unit costs are great though and perfectly fine to leave in.

Now, on to the meat.... What figures do you actually have, as theory lists are great but only if your tweeking an idea for a specific build (which I don't see as your intent).... Thus, if you let us know what you have, what your preferred style is, etc we can actually help you a lot better.

If I where to have to pick a list, I would take list 1, as it has a more synergetic feel for my play style. Both lists would be equally fun (but don't expect to win loads of games with them).

If you want a unit by unit rundown of what I like/dislike then let me know.

CaHG

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Hello mate! Welcome to Heresy Online! Check your PMs, lol.

As for the lists, I'm kinda liking the second one a little better. The units you've chosen are, well, fragile as an Eldar. Keeping them back out of combat for as long as possible is probably necessary to keep them in the game at all.

I do agree with Moc, though. Give us an idea of the units you currently own and the general direction you wish to take, and let us help you design a fun list that can handle its own on the tabletop as well as look very cool doing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys i have edited out the upgrades.. Sorry about that.

As far as Eldar units go I have very little, and im looking more at what units to buy than anything else. I figure its better to get a list together before wasting my money on something that just isnt going to work :/. Like i said in my first post i am primarily a 'nid player, but i picked up the Eldar codex a few weeks ago and thought they looked fun to play, hence where i am now.

Lol.. all i actually have is:
1x Guardian Squad (10 + Platform)
1x Warp spider squad (9+ Exarch)

So I can go in any direction really, although I do love the Eldar fast attack..

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Yup... me too. Eldar Fast Attack is one of the most difficult FOC selections to fill. The number of 'great' units makes the choice very hard.

How about a theme.... Make yourself a list, using the fastest units and those with the best range, without using vehicles.

Units that might work well....

Pathfinders (range)
Jetbikes/Jetbike Council/Spears (speed/unique rules)
Harlies/Banshees/Storm Guardians (fleet/combat)
Scorpions (Infiltrate)
Guardian Defenders (range)
Wraithlords (range/combat)
Reapers (range)
Vibrocannons (range/unique rules)

Oh, and thanks for the post edit.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok guys i have edited out the upgrades.. Sorry about that.

As far as Eldar units go I have very little, and im looking more at what units to buy than anything else. I figure its better to get a list together before wasting my money on something that just isnt going to work :/. Like i said in my first post i am primarily a 'nid player, but i picked up the Eldar codex a few weeks ago and thought they looked fun to play, hence where i am now.

Lol.. all i actually have is:
1x Guardian Squad (10 + Platform)
1x Warp spider squad (9+ Exarch)

So I can go in any direction really, although I do love the Eldar fast attack..
You should probably look at soemthing like this.... as 5th Ed is coming and Groudn forces will certainly be needed.

HQ
(210) Big - E
(155) Avatar
Elite
(113) 6 Fire Dragons, Exarch has Dragons Breath Flamer and Crackshot.
Troops
(396) 10 Wraithguard, Spiritseer with Conceal.
(153) 10 Guardian Defenders, Warlock with Conceal and Singing Spear, and a Brightlance plaform.
Fast Atack
(65) Vyper with Eldar Missile Launcher.
(208) 8 Warp Spiders, Exarch with Duel Death Spinners and Withdraw.
Heavy Support
(200) Falcon with Pulse, shuri-can, Catipult, Holo-field, Vectored-engines, Sprit-stones, and Star-engines.

1500pts even, and can easily be expanded to 2k if you like... and it has both of hte units you happen to have already. There are more Hard Core lists ut there; but take a close look at this sort as they can deal with almost anything, their fairly balanced, and their fun to play.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Following Hespithe'd advice i went back to may codex and took a good look at all the units you mentioned, and re-compiled a list based around a surprise attack theme (At least... I think I did :s). Moc, thank you for that list, but looking at the units, i dont think it would be an army i would really enjoy playing all that much.. Mainly because it seems like a slow list.. If you understand what I mean.

Anyway here is my new list:

HQ (415)

Baharroth 200 Pts

Karandras 215 Pts

Troop (402)

10 x Guardian (Missile Platform) 100pts

10 x Guardian (Brightlance Platform) 110pts

8 x Pathfinders 192 Pts

Fast (482)

9 Swooping hawk + Exarch (Leap and intercept) 242 Pts

8 Warp Spiders + Exarch (Add. Spinner + Surprise + Withdraw) 240 Pts

Elite (197)

Striking Scorpions + Exarch (Biting blade + shadow strike) 197 pts

Focusing heavily on infiltration and deepstriking more than long range combat. In theory it should be able to handle most armies (In my head it does anyway lol)

Is this list any better than my previous ones? lol

·
Registered
505 Posts
using warp spiders AND swooping hawks at the same time may not be the best idea against most armies, although in a three-way fight it might be effective in some situations.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Right off the bat, I notice a major lack of Anti-tank. Most of your choices are for CC and anti-troop. Of course the SH have haywire grenades, but thats not all that good for your only tank bustings squad. The guardians will only hit an average of 3 rounds (if they last that long). Although you want to play a "fast" army, that doesnt mean that you should just focus on one thing for your army. Also, your should really only bring one pheonix lord in your army. Kanadras would be my pick as he is a complete beast in CC, But Baharroth is really just a extra strong exarch worth about 15 times more points. With only one Pheonix lord you can spend your extra points on something else, like a heavy support choice maybe? Two pheonix lords is just rediculously expensive for a 1500pt list. they make for about 1/3 of the points in your army!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Hawks are really only there to be an anti heavy tank unit. The Spiders are pretty good at hitting armour 10 on the less armoured ones. I know the best eldar way to deal with tanks is a dragon squad, but without a vehicle theres very little chance of them making it into range.

My choice of 2 lords is meant to counter the fragileness of the Eldar. I hate seeing these low toughness, bad save Eldar... Phoenix lords can hold there own, and I chose these two because they can both deepstrike/infiltrate (plus I like the swooping hawk grenade pack). If I was to replace Baharroth, it would likely be with a decently eqquipped Autarch, and bulked up squads.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow, the list I posted is actually a Hybrid Hammer and Anvil list (desceptive I know - as many opponents also think it slow too, until the game is over - maybe you should take another look at it), as this is kind-of how I saw your original list (with a mobile Fire-base, and a few fast eleiments used to control the table). But, if you want something that is total speed and has both Hawks and Spiders, here is my current campaign list.... Its very subversive, so look at all the Combo's that are available before you write it off. It also sports 10 Different units for figure diversity and to show off many Eldar abilities.

HQ
(130) Autarch, JB, LL, and F-gun.
(123) Farseer, JB, RoWard, Spear, and Mindwar.
Both can go for tanks, the Autarch can assault on his own selectively and if he joins any of the "Withdrawing" units he can turn into a machine, while the Farseer is good for psycher suppression and picking out spacific nasties. Oh and Escalation is a factor for many Eldar so never discount an Autarch.
Elite
(113) 6 Fire Dragons, Exarchg has DBF and CS.
Godd anti-tank, and they are wicked on tough infantry or guys in cover too. They can also be used in "Rush" manouvers to soften a unit that the CC eliments are about to strike.
Troops
(76) 3 JB's, 1 Cannon.
(156) 5 JB's, 1 Cannon, including Warlock with Destructor and Spear.
I know it looks weird. The 3-pack special is self explanitory; but the 5 pack actually does more than most enemies imagine. It can take down Armour, it can harrass, displace infantry in cover, perform Crowd Control, and it can even assist in HtH if used well.
Fast Attack
(187) 4 Shining Spears, Exarch has Withdraw and Skilled Rider.
Purely for their CC potential; but they have been known to down armour from the rear, block exits, etc.
(174) 6 Warp Spiders, Exarch has DDS, PB's and Withdraw.
Their shooting is their main attribute; but if needed they can go into HtH with the Autarch to make a few quick hits (stay out of enemy shooting) and then withdraw to get where they need to be.
(173) 6 Swooping Hawks, Exarch with S-rifle, Int, and Skyleap.
To amny wierd things to go over them all, Mobile Sniping, pinning, Pie plate, even selective CC with the Autarch etc, just to tie stuff up. Oh and they drop armour easy enough if the enemy discounts/ignores them
Heavy Support
(185) Falcon, Pulse, Shrui-cannon, Catipult, HF, VE, SS.
(180) Fireprism, HF, VE, SS.
Pretty standard for many, the Falcon is a Tranport first and uses its defensive package to keep it moving (herding if needed) the enemy, while the Prism is the "Big Gun" with plenty of Defensive and table contorl options built in as well (Tank-Shock, herding, etc).

1498pts, 8 Scoring units, 34 figures and can do pretty well any mission and works on "All Comers" thus far it 6-0-0 in game play (many more games with the different units, just not his spacific config). But not because it is overpowered (because I dare anyone to cry Cheese over it), its just different and many players don't understand how to deal with some of the combo's. Start to look at how you want your army to work as a whole, then bring units into it that can add to its synergy, as the true strength of the Eldar is their combined effect not the ability or use of any one unit. The list I just posted has 1-2 turn Assault capability (depending on opponent of course); but, it actually works very well if you take you time to patiently attrition the enemy out as well (I just like having may options).

I hope this sort of thing helps you out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*Is the Eldar newb*. Lol.

I'm going completely off things im seeing in my head lol, so my opinions are purely based on the codex descriptions.. Anyway.

I took your advice and looked over your first list again, and i think I'm starting to understand the combo's behind it. I'll be honest about before, i did pretty much just brush it off because it wasn't "fast enough". But thinking about it in retrospect that was probably a bad thing to do and I'm sorry for doing that. The only unit I dislike from that list is the Wraithguard lol. Maybe i could replace them with a scorpion squad and a ranger squad and still have the same effieciency? This would make the list:

HQ
(210) Big - E
(155) Avatar
Elite
(113) 6 Fire Dragons, Exarch has Dragons Breath Flamer and Crackshot.
(197) 10 Striking Scorpions, Exarch with Biting Blade and Shadowstrike
Troops
(192) 8 Pathfinders
(153) 10 Guardian Defenders, Warlock with Conceal and Singing Spear, and a Brightlance plaform.
Fast Atack
(65) Vyper with Eldar Missile Launcher.
(208) 8 Warp Spiders, Exarch with Duel Death Spinners and Withdraw.
Heavy Support
(200) Falcon with Pulse, shuri-can, Catipult, Holo-field, Vectored-engines, Sprit-stones, and Star-engines.

Is that an acceptable list, or did i just break it :/

Lol btw Moc, thanks for putting up with me.. I know im annoying :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
That is much more solid than what you had to start with, now you have to plan out your tacitcs... I suggest 2-3 ideas for each squad + Combo's so that your more than ready regardless of what the enemy has to throw at you.

CaHG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts