Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is not the list i want comments on please do not judge by this i know its hugely bad, the list i need help on is a few posts down

HQ: 400 pts

Epistolary Librarian- 175 pts
-Jump Pack

Dante- 225 pts

Elites: 305 pts

Chaplain- 125 pts
-Jump Pack

Sanguinary Priest(x2)- 180 pts
-Jump Pack
-Power Weapon

Troops: 870 pts

Sanguinary Guard- 240 pts
-Chapter Banner
-Power Fist

Assault Squad(10 man)- 220 pts
-Jump Packs
-Meltagun
-Meltagun
-Power Fist
-Handflamer

-Jump Packs
-Meltagun
-Meltagun
-Power Fist
-Handflamer

Death Company- 190 pts
-Jump Packs
-Plasma Pistol
-Plasma Pistol
-Power Weapon
-Power Weapon
-Power Fist

Total: 1575 pts

So should i trim the fat and drop it to 1500 or add to 1750? Also im up in the air on the powers for the libby, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not sure your load out on the sanguinary guard is. Is it all glaives? It might be a bit better to drop the number of people in your assault squads, as you only have 2 scoring units. I'd probably pick a different weapon than plasma pistols in your death company, would be a shame to lose two of them to gets hot. Maybe go all power weapons, and let your army focus on busting the vehicles, while the death company focus' on busting up infantry.

I think all things considered you might want to increase to a 1750 army, rather than trim the fat. You've got a lot of expensive high point value units. Maybe use the sanguinary guard to represent honor guard, they're cheaper and allow you to get cheap acess to tank busting weapons.

-Narik

·
Registered
337 Posts
HQ: 400 pts

Epistolary Librarian- 175 pts
-Jump Pack

Why are you bringing this unit, it seems like a bit of a waste of points to upgrade to Epistolary, I'd suggest taking a libby with a jet pack and the two powers blood lance and smite, you list could use more anti-tank that has an effective range greater than 6 inches. Smite because it's an assault power so you can easily use it to soften up hard enemy HQs and since your on jetpacks you can get within 12 inches easily and if you're outside 12, use blood lance. Or if you are interested in more protection bring shield of sanguinous but since its a 5+ save you'll need to take a lot of saves for it to be worthwhile and if you're taking that many hits, you're probably doing something wrong. :headbutt:

Dante- 225 pts

While I see the draw of taking Dante, I don't know whether he's worth the 225 points just to bring one unit of Sanguinary Guard as troops. If you took him out, you could take a second unit of sanguinary guard or if you prefer a second 10 man squad of assault marines who are scoring. Since you're a bit high on points, you could instead make it a smaller unit of dedicated objective holder assault marines and there, you're at 1500 points

Elites: 305 pts

Chaplain- 125 pts
-Jump Pack

Good choice, I assume he flies with the death company?

-Jump Pack
-Power Weapon

Also good, the power weapons let you strike at initiative and hopefully kill annoying powerfists. However, if you're facing a blob of troops and there's a hidden powerfist, may I suggest you keep the priests out of combat because they can still be smushed by a powerfist

Troops: 870 pts

-Chapter Banner
-Power Fist

-Jump Packs
-Meltagun
-Meltagun
-Power Fist
-Handflamer

-Jump Packs
-Meltagun
-Meltagun
-Power Fist
-Handflamer

I don't believe your math is correct, 100+90 (5 extra marines 18 each)+20 (2 Meltaguns) +25 (Powerfist) + 10 (Handflamer) come out to 245 sadly. In the revised list I changed the squads a bit to come out to a bit lower.

Death Company- 190 pts
-Jump Packs
-Plasma Pistol
-Plasma Pistol
-Power Weapon
-Power Weapon
-Power Fist

Also good, fun and fluffy, not much to say here

Overall you have a very strong list but you might be lacking in shooty anti-tank but you make up for it with close combat anti tank potential.

Possible Revised List to fit in 1500 Points

Librarian- 125 pts
-Jump Pack
-Blood Lance
-Smite

Chaplain- 125 pts
-Jump Pack

-Jump Pack
-Power Weapon

-Chapter Banner
-Power Fist

Assault Squad(10 man)- 235 pts
-Jump Packs
-Meltagun
-Meltagun
-Power Fist

Assault Squad(10 man)- 225 pts
-Jump Packs
-Meltagun
-Power Fist

Assault Squad(8 man)- 179 pts
-Jump Packs
-Power Fist

Death Company- 190 pts
-Jump Packs
-Plasma Pistol
-Plasma Pistol
-Power Weapon
-Power Weapon
-Power Fist

Total: 1499 pts

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think you'll struggle vs. mech Starbuck. I found that using RAS with meltaguns to pop mech is ok but you can't rely on it. I would lose the DC since you're going with a Dante/SG theme and get some dedicated anti mech in there, Vanguards or Honour Guard would fill the slot nicely, depends on which you prefer, plus Plasma pistols are meh.

Dallas

·
Registered
361 Posts
I get the feeling that the Sanguinary priests will spend more time spraying Bactine on plasma burns than actually helping the army win. :biggrin:

Swap 75% of the PP for Infernus Pistols.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would agree with Dallas, I would either build on the Dante theme (Dante is great with meltagun honor guard BTW *precision drop + 4 meltaguns or so = lol*) or a more DoA theme with some DC.

If you choose the Dante theme drop the DC and the Chappy for some Honor Guard. I would probably run 2x kitted (2x MG PF IP) Assault squads + Sanguinary (2x infernus 1x PF at least) for troops and try and fit some other melta units around those. Dante armies are hard to pull off at lower points due to how much dante and sanguinary cost and what they really bring to the table.

Also epist is really not worth it and the two best power (IMHO) are Blood Lance and Sanguinary Sword. And PP are really... bleh. If you do run DC don't kit them out to much, maybe an infernus pistol and a PF but keep them cheap, they are expensive as is.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Librarian- 125 pts
-Jump Pack
-Blood Lance
-Sanguinary Sword

Chaplain- 125 pts
-Jump Pack

-Jump Pack
-Power Weapon

Assault Squad(10 man)- 245 pts
-Jump Packs
-Meltagun
-Meltagun
-Handflamer
-Power Fist

-Jump Packs
-Meltagun
-Meltagun
-Handflamer
-Power Fist

Assault Squad(10 man)- 240 pts
-Jump Packs
-Infernus Pistol
-Flamer
-Flamer
-Power Fist

Death Company(+5)- 350 pts
-Jump Packs
-Plasma Pistol
-Power Weapon
-Power Weapon
-Power Fist

So this comes out to 1350 pts. Am I on the right track? What should the 150 pts go towards? I am really wanting to upgrade the chappy to a rec but not if it takes needed points away. Also this is not supposed to be an uber competitive list(obvious probably haha) and will mainly face a boyz and kan ork army.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think its on the right track but that DC unit is way over upgraded. I would grab as many DC as you can (without sacrificing on the other units and max 8 or so) then just grab maybe an infernus pistol and a single PF in the unit and call it quits.

I think also that your 3rd assault squad should be double melta + hand flamer too. You don't need THAT much flamer power in a Blood Angels list like this I think.

With those small changed I think your list looks ready to go.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Librarian- 125 pts
-Jump Pack
-Blood Lance
-Sanguinary Sword
Shield is better here, a 5+ inv is very useful when you have no mech & can't always get a cover save.

Chaplain- 125 pts
-Jump Pack
A Reclusiarch is better. If you dropped all those toys off of the DC then you could actually afford to run Lemartes here... and he's mean.

-Jump Pack
-Power Weapon
These guys don't need power weapons. Remember that they're only basic MEQs, so keep them cheap & at the back of the unit!

-Jump Packs
-Meltagun
-Meltagun
-Handflamer
-Power Fist
Fine. Handflamers bring nothing to a unit with FC, either drop it or grab an Infernus pistol.

-Jump Packs
-Meltagun
-Meltagun
-Handflamer
-Power Fist
Same as above

Assault Squad(10 man)- 240 pts
-Jump Packs
-Infernus Pistol
-Flamer
-Flamer
-Power Fist
Fine.

Death Company(+5)- 350 pts
-Jump Packs
-Plasma Pistol
-Power Weapon
-Power Weapon
-Power Fist
Not sure what this unit is? Is it 8 DC? Anyway, yes they are ok but with JPs they are often hard to control, hence you'll likely have them charge things you'd rather they didn't. The natural temptation here is to tool them up for every eventuality, which is wrong as you end up with 50-60 point buffed MEQs, makes Terminators seem like a bargain! Resist and just give the unit a single Power Fist, any points left over can go towards Additional power weapons. With a unit this large I'd keep them cheap and throw Lemartes in there, drop those 2 power weapons and the plasma pistol and you can afford him instead of a bog standard Chaplain, if you're going to run a Chaplain you may as well run Lemartes - you won't regret it.

Dallas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts