Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HQ:
275 Bloodthirster, Unholy might, BOTBG (wave 2)

105 Herald of khorn, Chariot, Unholy might, BOTBG (wave 1)

Elite:
240 X5 Bloodcrushers, Fury of khorn, Chaos icon, Instrument of chaos (wave 1)

105 X3 Flamers (wave 2)

Troops:
130 X7 Plaugebearers, Chaos icon (wave 2)

130 X7 Plaugebearers, Chaos icon (wave 1)

90 X5 Horrors, Changling (wave 2)

Heavy support:
160 Soulgrinder, Phlegm (wave 1)

160 Soulgrinder, Phlegm (wave 2)

1500 Total

This is my first real try at a deamon list and i want it to be successfull, so any help regarding if i have picked bad choices or can swap anything around to make it better will be great, the bloodthirster is in there cause i have a nicely painted model for it already but i am not bothered about keeping it in the list if getting rid of it will make the army much better, also any comments on if i have made a good choice on what to bring in wave 1 and what to leave for wave 2 (if the gods look down with favor) will also be great

thankyou in advance for the help

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
HQ:
275 Bloodthirster, Unholy might, BOTBG (wave 2)
Very good for stomping on things. Living things, dying things undead things. Just stomp them good :)

Not a particularly competitive choice. The Herolds of Tzeentch on chariots are in most situations much better as they are faster, more cost efficient and, when given bolt, good vs. mech. Which daemons really can't get too few units of.
Elite:
240 X5 Bloodcrushers, Fury of khorn, Chaos icon, Instrument of chaos (wave 1)
Slow but tough. Excellent fire magnets.
105 X3 Flamers (wave 2)
Hard to use, but they are good if you don't waste them. Use them for suicide runs and keep them out of sight until they are ready to strike.
Troops:
130 X7 Plaugebearers, Chaos icon (wave 2)

130 X7 Plaugebearers, Chaos icon (wave 1)
Icons aren't really needed, but otherwise perfect for grabbing objectives.

90 X5 Horrors, Changling (wave 2)
Horrors are best used in larger numbers where their assault 3 "guns" is a threat to anything. If you don't want/need that drop them for something else or give them bolt.
Heavy support:
160 Soulgrinder, Phlegm (wave 1)

160 Soulgrinder, Phlegm (wave 2)
Excellent choices.
1500 Total

This is my first real try at a deamon list and i want it to be successfull, so any help regarding if i have picked bad choices or can swap anything around to make it better will be great, the bloodthirster is in there cause i have a nicely painted model for it already but i am not bothered about keeping it in the list if getting rid of it will make the army much better, also any comments on if i have made a good choice on what to bring in wave 1 and what to leave for wave 2 (if the gods look down with favor) will also be great

thankyou in advance for the help
Don't commit your army to be set in waves before your 1st turn. You don't have to do it before that so you shouldn't as there are many things that can and will make you change your mind.
Only general advice I can give on this matter is: Balanced waves are seldom very good. Your strategy are already reliant on a dice roll so going all in is often the best solution. But not always. The more you play the better grasp of the situation at hand you will get.

Any questions?

And good luck at the tourney!

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Angry Dane above has some good points.

However, I would propose some changes which would do better for a tournament:

Bloodcrushers changed into maxed out fiends with Might. Fiends are just simply better at the job, and has a good chance of de-meching as well ( considering they can actually reach them.)

Plaguebearers at minimum squad size, drop the icon. You are already at the mercy of the dice, having the icons there will tell a good opponent that the 6" around your icon is basically a big red marker saying HERE IS MY NEXT DEEP STRIKE. And minimum squad size on an objective in cover going to ground is 3+\4+, with a base toughness of five. So better than plague marines!

Horrors need bolt, and stay at that squad size. Can't get enough of bolt.

Now, changing this leaves you with having spent 1365 points, leaving in the options of more killy, in the form of another soul grinder without pleghm, perhaps. Or more Fiends.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Khorne Heralds are best ran naked on Chariots for 85pts if you are going for triple Fiends so as to bulk out your unit numbers to balance the waves better. They can fulfil a reasonable roll similar to when bloodcrushers are used in a second wave as a bulwark to protect your troops. I know a number of top UK Daemon players who run them for this reason.

Otherwise yes Tzeentch Heralds are a far more aggressive option, that is the one I run, but they are not always fitting with the style of army.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm not sold on that idea of naked Khorne heralds on chariot.

For 5 points more, you could have the Slaanesh one with might and musk on a chariot, which has a lot of other possible jobs rather than stand in the way of infantry assault. It could, if need be, deal with a Dreadnought (if Rends go your way.)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm not sold on that idea of naked Khorne heralds on chariot.

For 5 points more, you could have the Slaanesh one with might and musk on a chariot, which has a lot of other possible jobs rather than stand in the way of infantry assault. It could, if need be, deal with a Dreadnought (if Rends go your way.)
Totally agree with all you have said. Tbh, if I would take Daemons to a tourney I would give that list a total overhaul. But cookie-cutter is a creation of the devil and the list should do just fine with a few improvements.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey all thank you for all the help so far, seems like none of you particularly like khorn heralds, and bloodcrushers have a mixed review, so i will look into changing the heralds but might play a few games some with crushers and some with fiends and see which ones perform best for me and decide from there, dropping the icons on the plaguebearers seems like an ok idea would save me 50 points to spend elsewhere, i just liked that it took away the randomness of expensive units scattering onto other units, rolling on the mishap table and being destroyed or placed by the enemy on the opposite side of the board miles away from any action.

I would give that list a total overhaul. But cookie-cutter is a creation of the devil
now as i said this is my first list i have properly sat down and tried to write so i wasn't expecting it to be an all powerfull destroy all comers list on my first try, i don't mind giving it an overhaul, also i am happy to use a cookie-cutter build (using a creation of the devil when playing deamons seems fitting) i just can't seem to find one, so a point in the direction of a post containing one would be great:p

as i said thanks for the help so far

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You want a cookie-cutter list?

It's something with around 3 units of plaguebearers, 18 fiends, 4 Tzeentch heralds on chariots, 9 screamers, 3 nurgle DP's/ soul grinders and maybe horrors with bolt as more anit mech filler. At least, that's what I think it should look like. But the great thing about daemons is that they aren't as cookie-cutter as CSM, Eldar, DE and such so the tourney lists do have a fair bit of variation built into them.

And again, if you have any questions; shoot.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
everyone i see posting seems to rave about the tzeentch heralds on chariots and the fiends so i will defo have to give them a try

thank you for all the help

·
Registered
21 Posts
You want a cookie-cutter list?

It's something with around 3 units of plaguebearers, 18 fiends, 4 Tzeentch heralds on chariots, 9 screamers, 3 nurgle DP's/ soul grinders and maybe horrors with bolt as more anit mech filler. At least, that's what I think it should look like. But the great thing about daemons is that they aren't as cookie-cutter as CSM, Eldar, DE and such so the tourney lists do have a fair bit of variation built into them.

And again, if you have any questions; shoot.
most cookie cutter SUPAR competitive lists revolve around as much AT as possible, the ones ive predominantly seen would be roughly

4 tzeentch heralds w/ chariot, bolt, master of sorcery, we are legion
3x6 fiends w/ unholy might on each group of 6
3-4 units of 5 plaguebearers
2-3 tzeetntch DPs w/ MoT, bolt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.