Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another attempt at a list before i buy the models.

CCS
- 4 Melta
- Chimera (ML/HF)
145 points

10 Vets
- 3 Melta
- Chimera (ML/HF)
155 points

10 Vets
- 3 Melta
- Chimera (ML/HF)
155 points

10 Vets
- 3 Melta
- Chimera (ML/HF)
155 points

2 Leman Russ Battle Tanks
300 points

2 Leman Russ Battle Tanks
300 points

Manticore
160 points

1370 points total

No idea how to spend the remaining 130 points.
Always seem to struggle getting an IG list close to 1500 for some reason.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Looks fine except for the Russ Squadrons, what with the dangers and limitations squadrons face. The LRBT itself is a fine choice, it's the 'squadroning' of them I don't like.

I'd rather take more Vets in Chimeras myself, or a HH or BW, or Vendettas, or upgrade to a Demolisher or Executioner...depending on your own local opponents faced.

Still, you have kept them cheap so that's a good thing.

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about...

CCS
- 4 Plasmaguns
- Chimera (ML/HB)
165 points

10 Vets
- 3 Melta
- Chimera (ML/HF)
155 points

10 Vets
- 3 Melta
- Chimera (ML/HF)
155 points

10 Vets
- 3 Melta
- Chimera (ML/HF)
155 points

PCS
- 4 Flamers
- Chimera (ML/HF)
105 points

Infantry Squad (Goes in Vendetta)
50 points

Infantry Squad (Goes in Vendetta)
50 points

Vendetta
130 points

Vendetta
130 points

Leman Russ Battle Tank
150 points

Leman Russ Battle Tank
150 points

Manticore
160 points

1555 points total

Any ideas to drop 55 points?
Is it worth having the Infantry squad inside to make it scoring?
Are Vendettas worth it at all?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yea, toss the PCS Chimera, let them ride in a Vendetta. Toss the Manticore and buy Autocannons for the Infantry Squads and try to squeeze in a single Commissar with a Power Weapon. Also, a SWS with Flamers is cheap and can go into the other Vendetta (you probably can't afford the Demo, but its not a big deal). This has yet to fail me as a great means of expanding scoring units to hold my objectives, while leaving the Vets to take ground.

At 1500, the Manticore is just too vulnerable, I feel. Those points are best spent elsewhere. If you have points left, consider the LR Demolisher of the LRBT - very strong at 1500 points! With all that said, I figure you should go for Meltas in the CCS to save points and I think you should come in at 1500 just about on the money with those changes.

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Or the other option....

How about...

CCS
- 4 Melta
- Chimera (ML/HF)
145 points

10 Vets
- 3 Plasma
- Chimera (ML/HB)
170 points

10 Vets
- 3 Melta
- Chimera (ML/HF)
155 points

10 Vets
- 3 Melta
- Chimera (ML/HF)
155 points

10 Vets
- 3 Melta
- Chimera (ML/HF)
155 points

Vendetta
130 points

Vendetta
130 points

Leman Russ Battle Tank
150 points

Leman Russ Battle Tank
150 points

Manticore
160 points

1500 points total

EDIT:
I could also drop the Manticore for a 3rd LRBT, and give all the squads Melta, and the CCS 4 Plasma. This would be 1495 points.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
The thing is that there's nothing massively wrong with either of the last 2 lists, meaning none of the choices suck, they just need finessing.

Such as what oldHat says about putting the PCs in a Vendetta instead of a Chimera, and get a SWS for the second one. Keep the Infantry back as a combined firebase on your home objective with a Commissar, it's hard as nails to shift.

I don't agree about dropping the Manticore...your Infantry can 'bubblewrap' it and keep it safe for the few turns it takes for it to do its damage. Artillery doesn't have to last the whole game as it's an alpha-strike type unit.

That said, you will have to drop something to get to 1500, so it's either the Manticore or some Plasma that will have to go....do much else and the list will have to change too much.

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it worth taking special weapons with the PCS and SWS in Vendettas?
Or just keep them naked?

And for the bubblewrap, just run 2 Infantry squads with Commissar and 2x Flamer and 2x Autocannon?
HWT worth it?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Is it worth taking special weapons with the PCS and SWS in Vendettas?
Or just keep them naked?
Keep the same build you have for the PCS - 4 Flamers. The SWS can have either 3 Flamers or a mix of Flamers/Demo Charge..depends on points available.

They need weapons to sweep the enemy off of Objectives.

And for the bubblewrap, just run 2 Infantry squads with Commissar and 2x Flamer and 2x Autocannon?
HWT worth it?
As far as bubblewrap goes...they're not just there to do that, but to also act as a normal Platoon, so give them a Commissar so they are harder to shift and they will hang around for longer, and HW's let them send some decent firepower down range. Adding Flamers depends on points again.

Do you mean HWS...I don't bother with them, well not in a Mech list anyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
HWS suck unless you take alot of them. Put some Lascannons in those platoons for some serious down range firepower!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Lascannons? No, Autocannons. BS3 Lascannons get a single shot and will miss far too often. Autocannons are two shots and high enough strength to bust light armor. Leave cracking heavy armor to the Meltaguns.
Totally agree, and I look at a lascannon HWS and just see a Vendetta for not a hell of a lot more points, considering what you get..same amount of Lascannons but t/linked and on a fast unit - yes please.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts