Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far Iv got 20 marines, 5 bikers in the process of being painted. Just getting into the war gaming side of 40k and have found a local group who play with 1500 pt armies mostly. Looking for some feedback on my list before I purchase another batch of models. I'm aware the 7th edition will change factors but looking to pick up the models with the book.

HQ

Chaos Lord
-Axe of Blind fury
-Mark of Khorne
-Ichor Blood
-Melta Bomb
-Chaos Bike

Troops

Chaos Space Marines x10
- 2 Plasma
-VotlW
-Rhino

Chaos Space Marines x10
-Replaced Bolters with CCW
-2 Flamers
-VotlW
-Rhino

Chaos Space Marines x10
-Replaced Boltersd with CCW
-2 Meltaguns
-VotlW
-Meltabomb(champ)
-Rhino

Chaos Space Marines x10
-2 Meltaguns
-VotlW
-Meltabomb(champ)
-Rhino

Fast Attack

Chaos Bikers x5
-2 Meltaguns
-Mark of Khorne
-Lightning Claw (Champ)
-Icon of Wrath

Chaos Bikers
-2 Meltaguns
-Mark of Khorne

Heavy Support

Havocs x5
-4 Autocannons
-Votlw
-Behind a Agies Defense line with Quadgun

Curious if I should possibly switch out a group of CSM for some cultist, or try and fit in a squad of terminators. Fluff behind the army, painting them as Black Legion but I'm using the regular codex. I'd like to field as many marines as possible while still keeping relatively competitive.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Personally I dislike VotLW as it is a lot of points for very little effect when putting it on a whole squad/army. UNLESS you know you are fighting space marines all the time. Though I know it doesn't cost much per model (1pt) I tend to be happier with throwing the 45pts you are currently spending at buying 3 more guys.
On a side notes VotLW not great for havoks as hatred only effects melee.
HOWEVER your lord should get VotLW rather than ichor blood as it is teribad. Your lord should be eating everything anyway, without having to take wounds to hurt enemies.

Another often overlooked thing is that those guys you have with melta/plasma/flamer are replacing their bolters with those weapons. And those melee units are replacing their bolters for a close combat weapon. So you end up with 8 guys with bolt pistols and CC weapons. 2 guys with melta/plasma/flamer and bolt pistol. For 2 pts extra on each of those 2 guys you can also give them the CC weapon the same as the rest of the squad.

Personal pref tells you if you want terminators, though I find them a bad choice for points.
Cultists on the other hand are stupidly good, even if just used as cover screens for your more expensive guys. But as you are bouncing up their in rhino's then this doesn't really work outside of turn 1.
Dirge Casters being only 5pts as well can be a nice addition to those rhinos to drive it close to enemy squads after it has driven the boys up the table to prevent overwatch taking a couple out before you get the chance to attack. Or even to allow those bikers to get in without overwatch as you unload the troops.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
mmh, the good old rhino rush...
personally i don't feel that every marine unit should have a rhino. considering that you can't assault out of it the same turn you disembark i tend to give rhino to shooty units only. melee units i either infiltrate or make bigger to stroll the board. Also Veterans is just useful if you happen to fight marines. otherwise...meh. Dirge casters are a very good option, imo.
So, for me:

HQ

Chaos Lord
-Axe of Blind fury
-Mark of Khorne
-Ichor Blood
-Melta Bomb
-Chaos Bike

Troops

Chaos Space Marines x10
- 2 Plasma
-Rhino

Chaos Space Marines x15
-10 bolters + pistols
-5 ccw+ pistols
-2 Flamers
-Power Maul (champ)

Chaos Space Marines x10
-Replaced Bolters with CCW
-2 Meltaguns
-Meltabomb(champ)
-Rhino
-Dirge caster

Chaos Space Marines x10
-2 Meltaguns
-Meltabomb(champ)
-Rhino
-Dirge Caster

Fast Attack

Chaos Bikers x5
-2 Meltaguns
-Mark of Khorne
-Lightning Claw (Champ)
-Icon of Wrath

Chaos Bikers
-2 Meltaguns

Heavy Support

Havocs x5
-4 Autocannons
-Behind a Agies Defense line with Quadgun

Minimal changes but, imo, gives you something else to work with. A big group of 15 marines going behind the rhinos and bikers, clearing out objectives is not to be frowned upon.

·
Registered
533 Posts
In the CSM units with pistols and CCW you could spend a couple of points giving the assault weapon guys close combat weapons. So they have their flamer/meltagun but still gain the extra attack in CC

I'm working on a list with three objective grabber shooty CSM units who are all pretty cheap and realized I have the points free to give two of the unit champions combi-bolters. Might be worth it to do that on your shooty unit. Getting re-rolls to hit increases your chances of him scoring a precision shot, and even without precision shooting it seems like a worthwhile upgrade for its points cost

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I dislike VotLW as it is a lot of points for very little effect when putting it on a whole squad/army. UNLESS you know you are fighting space marines all the time.
Hopefully I can meet so more of the groups players this weekend to see what armies are around, Most of my experience has been from small scale games just to get comfy with the hobby, but from what Iv read Its a cheaper alternative to an Icon of Vengeance on a 10 man squad.

On a side notes VotLW not great for havoks as hatred only effects melee.
HOWEVER your lord should get VotLW rather than ichor blood as it is teribad. Your lord should be eating everything anyway, without having to take wounds to hurt enemies.
I had 5 pts to spare, Ichor sounded cool, but noted. As for the Havocs same as before just thought the extra leadership would be beneficial.

Another often overlooked thing is that those guys you have with melta/plasma/flamer are replacing their bolters with those weapons. And those melee units are replacing their bolters for a close combat weapon. So you end up with 8 guys with bolt pistols and CC weapons. 2 guys with melta/plasma/flamer and bolt pistol. For 2 pts extra on each of those 2 guys you can also give them the CC weapon the same as the rest of the squad.
I'm very glad you and Squire pointed that out, I overlooked that Indeed!

Personal pref tells you if you want terminators, though I find them a bad choice for points.Cultists on the other hand are stupidly good, even if just used as cover screens for your more expensive guys. But as you are bouncing up their in rhino's then this doesn't really work outside of turn 1.
Looking at Neferhet posted, I've also been curious on others opinion on having footslogging marines in groups of 15/20, cause I see the use in Cultist as cheap shields or objective holders. Though I feel with my list if I take away their rhinos my bikers will become more easily focused.

Dirge Casters being only 5pts as well can be a nice addition to those rhinos to drive it close to enemy squads after it has driven the boys up the table to prevent overwatch taking a couple out before you get the chance to attack. Or even to allow those bikers to get in without overwatch as you unload the troops.
Another thing I overlooked, that 45 spare points is looking nice about now :laugh:

Thanks again for the tips and the re-worked list, I've always liked the idea of a large squad of troops in power armor, generally most advise has been against it so far though. Also curious how others feel about the combi-bolters on shooter champs, my first list included one for the plasma squads.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
combi-bolters on shooter champs
in my experience, if you are going to get a shooty champion it's combi-something serious or it's nothing. you spend 3 points to reroll a bolter shot. such wow, much heresy.
Spent 10 points and get another melta/plasma/flamer shot when it matters.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Same as Neferhet said, Combi bolters = waste of pts, combi melta/plasma can be a great thing for just having that 1 tank or more importantly dreadnought killing shot before a charge. If put on a champ in a unit as well it gains precisions shots so a 6 to hit and you choose your target, what is rather nice being able to take out an enemy hero/lord with his power weapon before charging in to them.
Same goes with the flamer, having a single shot to burn down a load of Orks before combat or Tau before they shoot the hell out of you. Or even overwatch with it yourself or burn down a building worth of people. But be warned that you are removing closest models when using it, so end up forcing you out of charge range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts